What Do Ya Do With All This Left Over Soil From Your Grow?

Depends, what kind of medium do you use and inputs? Coco is great when used over and over because it retains calcium very well. Not so sure with peat based, maybe of adding dolomite lime to keep ph in check. Maybe some pros can go in depth on the subject more than myself.

start a container garden with it,most veggies do best at 6 to 6.8 ph as it is,potato plants dig 5.5 you can grow them in saw dust if you wanted,just dont grow any other plants in that soil,i have soil just for potatoes and grow them in contractor bags from home depot,just line um up on the fence edge,grow sweet potatoes same way,hell ya reuse that good stuff and be rewarded by a full belly

It goes into an outdoor planter where the soil is amended, tilled and seasoned for plants in the yard needing soil, for new plants also.

Pro mix worm castings fox farm ocean forest then I used advanced nutrients
Ya, I agree to use that for veggies or something in an outdoor container. Advanced nutrients have a lot of salts so I wouldn’t dump it in to the native soil. But it’s make nice for some tomatoes and peppers!

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I turn it into a compost pile.
Adding your food scraps, any plant scraps, leaves, stems, roots & organic matter for breakdown over time.

Sprinkle some microbes into the mixture every now again to keep it digesting along with some moisture & mixture every so often.

Eventually you will have nice fertile soil for reuse.

Last edited:
Lol, in one medical grow I worked on we were pretty much building a ski-hill in the back yard out of promix. The pile after a few years was about 50' round and about 25' high. No kidding. To the point that we actually built a cleated wooden ramp up it so we could empty the buckets over the top.

I re-use all my old soil. I have enough soil now to have 1000 gallon pots for each lady, and what I dont use for the ladies goes over the flower and veggie gardens.
I also only plant ladies in the big pots every other year so the soil can get some down time. Soil should never get thrown away imo unless you cant pile it up. Local organic soil companies will take your soil usually for free as well.

start a container garden with it,most veggies do best at 6 to 6.8 ph as it is,potato plants dig 5.5 you can grow them in saw dust if you wanted,just dont grow any other plants in that soil,i have soil just for potatoes and grow them in contractor bags from home depot,just line um up on the fence edge,grow sweet potatoes same way,hell ya reuse that good stuff and be rewarded by a full belly
Sounds like a good idea :D

Lol, in one medical grow I worked on we were pretty much building a ski-hill in the back yard out of promix. The pile after a few years was about 50' round and about 25' high. No kidding. To the point that we actually built a cleated wooden ramp up it so we could empty the buckets over the top.
Lol

I tried re-using once with terrible results. Now they are dumped up in the woods and broken apart. Since I don't use much chemicals, it seems to be ok for the local ecology and has improved the soil up there. 6 gallon buckets of totally root filled Promix. Squirrels love it for some reason.

I do agree that re using soil is not for everyone and you may get bad results if you do not condition your old soil. And for best results you should have your soil tested before planting ladies in it to be safe. And i would not use soil from a grow that i know nothing about or who was growing in it.
Old soil does not belong in landfills is the big picture here.