• Thread starter The Jewels
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Jewels

The Jewels

From what I understand
hang between 42 and 52 % relative humidity
and aim for a temperature of 17 to 19 Celsius
and give it a week to allow the stuff to dry out.

Into "the jar" burbing down to a stable 60%

Is there important anaerobic activity happening inside the jar ?
Is there magic happening inside the jar ?
Why can't I just hang it at 40 and ramp it up to a stable 60% over a couple weeks ?

Whatsa difference ?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
From what I understand

Why can't I just hang it at 40 and ramp it up to a stable 60% over a couple weeks ?

Whatsa difference ?
Everything depends on your environmental details. Very fine line on humidity control when storing finished buds in a stable environment. I find 55% at 65-68F is best when you have a finished harvest for curing.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Everything depends on your environmental details. Very fine line on humidity control when storing finished buds in a stable environment. I find 55% at 65-68F is best when you have a finished harvest for curing.

Yup,
From what I understand

Whatsa difference ?

Frickin' MAGIC!

The Jewels

The Jewels

I poured a thick ring of PK salts around the drying alter, and trimmed the calmag lamps down low.

Soo, the incantations I paid for are bogus?

Turns out that it is just the composition of the glass that attracts the Ferries ?
Perhaps the Silica ?
Heard lotsa good things about that that.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
First thing before jarring you have to dry and cure before jarring, let’s start there:)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
This is a good topic for 4/20:) to many choices for 4/20! I shall try them all:)
B4D1F724 5B37 4091 81EF 3DB7CA15FB71

The Jewels

The Jewels

Does the jar provide a "dutch oven" effect?
Is it pickling itself, amongst its own farts ?

Essentially, I am wondering if there are different processes happening in an open environment, as opposed to the enclosed environment of a jar?
( hang dry vs. "jar" cure)

Why dont/can't we hang cure ?

BudBogart

BudBogart

Does the jar provide a "dutch oven" effect?
Is it pickling itself, amongst its own farts ?

Essentially, I am wondering if there are different processes happening in an open environment, as opposed to the enclosed environment of a jar?
( hang dry vs. "jar" cure)

Why dont/can't we hang cure ?

In the jar you have an absolutely controllable environment, no breezes, no subtle changes in the humidity like t are always going on in an open environment. If you could seriously control your environment as el as a mason jar, then You are magic. I think we all hang dry, but once it gets down to a point, maximin control is wanted.
P.s. if you have too much weed to hand burp so many jars, you can move up to turkey bags in food grade 5 gallon tubs with air tight lids for a close proximity.
B275A94C 44F7 4B0D B5AC 490FC7483626

B

Burned Haze

Just as a side tip/note for buckets for burping/curing :
Just make sure you use “ gamma seals” lids/food grade and food grade buckets if you decide on buckets cause cutting corners (using non food grade) will only make your bud Susceptible to contaminates and unwanted things . I think the price difference when you add the top and bucket ( being gamma seal/ food grade bucket is like 2-4 bucks more than non)

It’s def worth it on over doing jars , only suggestion is after burping (besides the stuff your smoking) I would vacuum-seal and a bag called dry mighty (benefit is your not damaging your stuff when you seal your bags and it seals long term cured )

Last edited by a moderator:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Just make sure you use “ gamma seals” lids/food grade and food grade buckets if you decide on buckets cause cutting corners (using non food grade) will only make your bud Susceptible to contaminates and unwanted things . I think the price difference when you add the top and bucket ( being gamma seal/ food grade bucket is like 2-4 bucks more than non)

It’s def worth it on over doing jars , only suggestion is after burping (besides the stuff your smoking) I would vacuum-seal and a bag called dry mighty (benefit is your not damaging your stuff when you seal your bags and it seals long term cured )

I use buckets from donut shops. Food grade, seals well and at a buck each I can't beat it.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Thanks, I could not remember the name gamma seal..
Question, pls...do you vac seal after sucking air out? Do you suck maximum air out? When I did, it seemed to turn the nuggets into hard stones. Thanks.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Its been said here but I am still going to chime in. What is going on when we go from hang drying to jars is we are slowing down the drying process so we have better control over the moisture within the buds. If you hang dry only you often end up with buds that are dry on the outside but still moist inside. If the buds are left to dry entirely you often end up with buds that will just fall apart on you (now this is not always the case, if the environment is dialed in hang drying long term can be very effective). When we put the buds into the jars it traps the moisture escaping from the buds within the jars and re-exposes the outer portion of the buds to moist air. Now the moisture levels at the center of the bud and exterior of the bud are more even. Burping is essential to allow any excesses in moisture to be released from the jar, otherwise we get mold on our finished product. This is the process of curing to get the moisture levels right were we would like tham, and long term storage in the jars keeps the buds from being exposed to external environmental factors keeping our product right at the moisture level we would like to see it at.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

What's happening in the jar depends on how you grow from my observations.

Hydro growers are waiting for unprocessed nutes to be broken down while rehydrating the exterior of the dead plant to give it a simulated texture of a more resinous, danker bud, while also attempting to preserve perpetually offgassing terpenes created before harvest.

Soil growers are letting the living plant continue to produce new isoprenoids and store them in its fatty tissue, while periodically providing fresh air to endophytes responsible for converting starches into sugars, sugars into alcohols, acids into thiols, etc as the plant slowly dries out and never realizes nor experiences a definable moment of death.

Thats just the way I see things. Organic bud glows like a rooted plant on shrooms. Hydro is as radiant as the plastic ficus in the corner.. 2 different products, 2 different processes. I'm not saying one is a waste of time or anything, but people gotta realize the question has 2 different answers depending on if you're talking about natural or synthetically grown pot.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I cure in heat sealed foodsaver bags. Seems like a decent way to go. Lightweight, food grade, and not very permeable.

Top Bottom