What happens to your plant during nutrient burn?

• Thread starter michael11221
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
michael11221

michael11221

Hello guys,

I was wondering if anyone had an explanation of what happens to the plant when it is suffering from nutrient excess (nutrient burn)? I assume the pH in the soil is lowered, and then this causes a problem with nutrient uptake?

And if the nutrients cannot be taken but the plant because of this, does this mean that a plant can show signs of nutrient burn (burned tips), and if this stress continues then show signs of nutrient deficiencies because it cannot receive the nutrients from the soil?

Thank you for your help! I would love to receive some more in-depth information regarding this issue.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Nutrient burn is simply when the plant uptakes too much fertilizer and it usually shows on the leaf tips or edges first.

However various deficiencies and imbalances can cause similar effect.

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

Hello guys,

I was wondering if anyone had an explanation of what happens to the plant when it is suffering from nutrient excess (nutrient burn)? I assume the pH in the soil is lowered, and then this causes a problem with nutrient uptake?

And if the nutrients cannot be taken but the plant because of this, does this mean that a plant can show signs of nutrient burn (burned tips), and if this stress continues then show signs of nutrient deficiencies because it cannot receive the nutrients from the soil?

Thank you for your help! I would love to receive some more in-depth information regarding this issue.
I would start by determining what the pH is at this point, Then begin correcting the pH of the medium. The plant is made of over 90% H20 so pH is very important and will block nutrient uptake and cause major grow problems. When you correct the pH try removing some old medium and adding in some new medium to decrease the nutrients in the existing medium. Although while correcting pH will dilute the nutrients if the medium is very saturated, dilution is nearly impossible. Basically you over dosed your plant on nutrients and it will keep sucking them up due to turgor pressure. The only way to correct the tugor pressure is to replace the medium or re-plant in new pot. Plants feed from the roots what is in the medium is what they will eat and the water soaks the medium and that soaks the nutrients in with the water. It depends on how much you OverDosed them. I'm sure someone else knows more about this subject that has experience with it, I'm just telling you what I have text book learned.......

Top Bottom