What heater for grow tent.

• Thread starter Willisbrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Willisbrow

I also think my exhaust fan is too powerful. It’s a 6” fan that has two speeds high and low. It’s set on high. I think it’s sucking all the warm air out of my tent and bringing in cold air to quickly. Was thinking about getting a fan controller to dial down my fan speed.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I got a 800 watt led and it doesn’t get to warm in there with just the lights on. I would be surprised if it got to 65 degrees with lights on and no heater. I have to check my thermometer to see what the cold temps are.
Definitely needs to be warmer when lights on. It’s actually good for the plants to have some difference in degree from lights in and lights off but not more than 10 degrees but not necessarily needed. I like to get my flower room colder at the end to make them turn purple

Madmax

Madmax

Small 1000w finned heater for the win with adjustable settings 350. 450. 1000w etc..im in a shed and run it all times through winter inside the room.if plants get a little close just trim up the leave…I run 6 gals in a 5x5 area but not using the first ft at the front for fan on floor and the finned heater of course So don’t really have a problem with the finned heater affecting them.I also have a tube heater when it’s not as cold and just run that and it lays on the floor on brackets .

edit: oh I forgot ,I also have a dehumidifier running 24/7 in flower which also adds heat to the room..

Last edited:
T

Titleist

I also think my exhaust fan is too powerful. It’s a 6” fan that has two speeds high and low. It’s set on high. I think it’s sucking all the warm air out of my tent and bringing in cold air to quickly. Was thinking about getting a fan controller to dial down my fan speed.

While you're in veg, run the exhaust fan on low and let it settle in to show you what kind of heat and humidity the tent will retain with the light on. Put the heater wherever (in tent etc.) and let it acclimate to the temps. Turn the heater on and bring up the temp until you hear it kick on. That should roughly let you manage the swing as you're trying to set the heater to turn on when the temps drop a degree. If you need the daytime temps to be higher than what you're light and slower circulation can give you you'll need to bring up the heater to put you near your daytime target temps and let it turn itself on and off to keep it there. Once the light goes off the heater will likely stay on a lot longer but still help you keep the swing down.

If you get to a point where you're happy with it all start trying to dial in VPD and you'll be playing in the big leagues :)

W

Willisbrow

Yeah I have my heater turned on at lights off. It would be to hot and really not needed.Hmm
While you're in veg, run the exhaust fan on low and let it settle in to show you what kind of heat and humidity the tent will retain with the light on. Put the heater wherever (in tent etc.) and let it acclimate to the temps. Turn the heater on and bring up the temp until you hear it kick on. That should roughly let you manage the swing as you're trying to set the heater to turn on when the temps drop a degree. If you need the daytime temps to be higher than what you're light and slower circulation can give you you'll need to bring up the heater to put you near your daytime target temps and let it turn itself on and off to keep it there. Once the light goes off the heater will likely stay on a lot longer but still help you keep the swing down.

If you get to a point where you're happy with it all start trying to dial in VPD and you'll be playing in the big leagues :)
I had to put my three plants into flower. I got invited to a trip the end of January that I can not pass up. So I flipped them the 12/12 yesterday was day 1 of flower.
I wanted to harvest and hopefully dry and cure before my trip(it worse comes to worse I will chop them and leave them with a friend to do the drying /trimming / curing for me).
So I’m trying to figure all this stuff out on the run.

W

Willisbrow

Thank you guys for all this info!!
Kinda hard to wrap my head around everything. But I’m gonna try.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I had to put my three plants into flower. I got invited to a trip the end of January that I can not pass up. So I flipped them the 12/12 yesterday was day 1 of flower.
I wanted to harvest and hopefully dry and cure before my trip(it worse comes to worse I will chop them and leave them with a friend to do the drying /trimming / curing for me).
So I’m trying to figure all this stuff out on the run.
Haha yeah I think I can be gone for 5 days with the set up i have now. Definitely know what you mean trying to time it out. I think if I set up auto water feeds it could be much longer but I wouldn’t be gone that long to begin with. Hope it all works out for you✌🏼

W

Willisbrow

I grew 4 rounds 8 years ago. And only had one successful harvest. Then I was growing outdoors this last summer had so much fun I decided to get my little grow room up and running again.
Then I read about this VPD thing and got super confused. I’m just now starting to get an understanding of it all. Now I have to dial I’m my grow area which has been tricky, fun and frustrating

W

Willisbrow

Haha yeah I think I can be gone for 5 days with the set up i have now. Definitely know what you mean trying to time it out. I think if I set up auto water feeds it could be much longer but I wouldn’t be gone that long to begin with. Hope it all works out for you✌🏼
Thanks man!!

R

Raiders

I was looking oil filled ones. But I want them to come on when my lights turn on. The one I’m using now I have to manually press the ON button every day whe the lights come on. All the oil filled heaters I’ve seen are kinda set up the same way.
How do you have ur heaters turn on? Cause they aren’t running 24/7 right?
Oil Filled Radiator Heater, 700W Electric Space Heater with Thermostat, Overheat Protection, Portable Radiant Heater for Indoor Use, Quiet Indoor Portable Heater for Home and Office https://a.co/d/5U5aozx

Use this one. It has a dial you turn for how hot it is. Leave the dial where you want it and leave the switch to on. Now if you turn it on or off using a smart plug your heater will still turn on.

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

I was looking oil filled ones. But I want them to come on when my lights turn on. The one I’m using now I have to manually press the ON button every day whe the lights come on. All the oil filled heaters I’ve seen are kinda set up the same way.
How do you have ur heaters turn on? Cause they aren’t running 24/7 right?
Well it is winter time now, but I normally have them running all the time off the internal thermostat most have. If you reall want you can put them on timers, but lights off you will probably want them on unless you live somewhere warm.

E

Edinburg

Do not put a heater in a tent! Remember the circus fire in Hartford back in the day? Shut windows and doors and keep heater as far away from tent as possible and remember a heater will lower your rh.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I used to use the oil-filled radiator-style of heater, but recently switched to this flat-panel style.

It's like s piece of slate that has a heating element in it. I wanted something to free up some floor space. I run it through my BN-Link Heat controller.

Do an Amazon Search for:

TRUSTECH Wall Mount Heater, Heater with No Fan, 400W Convection Heater, Indoor Electric Space Heater with Overheating Safety Protection, Easy Installation Heater on Wall​

That is not the one I bought, but similar.

I was worried about the backside heat, so I took an extra 4-inch booster fan and C-Clamp'd to the back side. This serves two benefits, one is that it keeps the heater 4 inches away from the tent wall, and it lightly blows some of the heat downward so that it is not all wasted away.

It works as I hope, but it is more combersome than I hoped.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I use an exhaust system by IPower that has a phone app that you can use for adjustments while on the go. The nice thing about this carbon filter fan is it will rev up to a higher speed when my RH hits my preset limit so that it exhausts excess humidity but then settles down to the lower speed setting I've set it up for. AC Infinity makes a similar fan and controller and I'm sure someone else out there does too. I use it to help keep the heat in with the extra protection of exhausting at high humidity.

My setup is in my heated basement where so far this late fall run, I have not had to use anything else. I do have a sheet of foam insulation on the floor and that helps a lot. There's been a few times on the coldest nights in past years where I've used an electric heater plugged into a temperature controller. Otherwise, I'm able to maintain my lows in the upper 60's without much effort.

Where I live, it would be a struggle to control temperatures in my unisulated, unheated garage without spending a bunch of money. I hope your winters are milder than they are here in the mitten state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom