What Hoods to use for 1k's?

• Thread starter REGISTRD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REGISTRD

Looking to upgrade some hoods... I was following a great thread about someone doing tests on what hood is more reflective with 1k's etc etc and really am wondering what hoods are the best for my situation from others experience...
1k's watt Hps NON air cooled hoods...........
Been on a budget and went with the basic valubrites for know and am looking to upgrade to the daystars or radiants... im really leaning towards the daystars but I dunno somethings telling me to get the radiant they look like the wider hood will give more uniform coverage???
Running 3 side by side what hood will be more effective??

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Sun System XXXL Magnum Hood:) Largest footprint in the industry:)
These will do ya a hell of a lot better than the daystars

gtd

R

REGISTRD

Sun System XXXL Magnum Hood:) Largest footprint in the industry:)
These will do ya a hell of a lot better than the daystars

gtd

Looks like a sick hood... Does it come NON air-cooled...
Im only seeing 6 and 8 inch air cooled Magnums???

Looking in the sunlight catalog I see a Agrotech Magnum for 130$ what do you think of that?

K

KushMaster707

hey bro the daystar is one of the best on the market, it spreads the light real evenly and down over a 4x4 space for equal lumen distribution. if you plan on using a 4x4 space per 1000w think of this, the further your light has to travel (in ex. to the insides of a larger hood and then outward) the less intense it will be. if you are going to use a single 1000w lamp for a larger area i would suggest a larger hood.

R

REGISTRD

hey bro the daystar is one of the best on the market, it spreads the light real evenly and down over a 4x4 space for equal lumen distribution. if you plan on using a 4x4 space per 1000w think of this, the further your light has to travel (in ex. to the insides of a larger hood and then outward) the less intense it will be. if you are going to use a single 1000w lamp for a larger area i would suggest a larger hood.

Ya but i dunno I like the look of the magnums for the uniform coverage especially when the ceiliengs are only 8ft high.... hmmmm hmmmm..
And lol these are going over 3x3's. I dont think lumens are an issue here.....:cool0041:

G

GroHi

If you don't need air cooled... check out the AAW... very nice.

S

smellychronic

I also now have a Magnum XXL. I did run the Radiant and Daystar. I think you'd be surprised how wide the light is distributed on the Daystar.

H

HossCartwright

The Magnum XXXL will destroy the Daystar. Not even fair to compare them. Sun hoods in general are superior in every class over hydrofarm. There are some really good threads on other forums with amazing scientific tests/graphs/data. Bottom line, Super sun 2 beats the Daystar. Blockbuster and Cool Sun both beat the Radiants. And the Magnum is the best reflector on the market(slightly edges out SS2) right now.

R

REGISTRD

I also now have a Magnum XXL. I did run the Radiant and Daystar. I think you'd be surprised how wide the light is distributed on the Daystar.

And..... is the Magnum better in your opinion?:free-character-smil

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
XXXL Magnum hood is married for a 4x4 table:)
I ahve also run the sunsystem 2 and watched my buddy's daystars>>>>>Both lack the performance of the XXXL Magnum:)
If you dont need to air cool your hoods, then take out the glass and your good to go.

I grew 16 Casey Jones in a 4x4 with the XXL Magnum over it. Pulled 3.2 dried:) Never could have achieved these numbers with any other hood imo... Thats what sold me on this hood... I now own 5 of them Mcguillicuttys:)

:passingjoint:

gtd

20north

super sun 2's they have the best lumen output or how ever you say it its the most lumens reflected and the most evenly reflected many tests ic mag about this hood

R

REGISTRD

XXXL Magnum hood is married for a 4x4 table:)
I ahve also run the sunsystem 2 and watched my buddy's daystars>>>>>Both lack the performance of the XXXL Magnum:)
If you dont need to air cool your hoods, then take out the glass and your good to go.

I grew 16 Casey Jones in a 4x4 with the XXL Magnum over it. Pulled 3.2 dried:) Never could have achieved these numbers with any other hood imo... Thats what sold me on this hood... I now own 5 of them Mcguillicuttys:)

gtd

PRICELESS INFORMATION RIGHT HERE PEEPS!!!

THNKS Danny...

Going to order a whole truck load for all my rooms...

Ya Ill pull the glass and buy the ac caps they look pretty promising!! :cool0041:

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Im running both the Magnun xxxl 8" and the super sun 2 ,I really like the way the Magnum xxxl spreads the light and the heat out even running the ice boxes with the super suns 2 they run way hotter then the magnum xxxl allowing the magnums to be placed rite on top of the plant last run I ran my Magnum xxxl 8" from the tops and pulled big #'S...JACK

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

I like my PLs they are very light, easy to clean, throw a 5x4 footprint, not real heavy like all of the others mentiond.

R

REGISTRD

Ok So Magnum 6" XXXL are the hoods Ive decided to go with..

Hopefully it will help me get my numbers where I want them......From the sounds of it I dont think it will be a problem... THx :smiley_joint:

I

iconoclast

I just got off the phone with the shop I go to and they told me they discontinued the xxxl magnum in the 6". So were you able to score a 6", REGISTRD ??? Let us know what you think of it because I was really wanting one. Late...!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Icono, the 8" is better. The xxxls weren't vented enough and ran too hot for most. Especially if you're running flex duct, go 8''. The other option is to buy the 8" and run an adapter straight off the hood. Then you can use your 6" duct, but you might want to upgrade your fan. BTW, I have many styles of hoods in my garden, and I love the XXXLs, especially mounted in the middle of my garden. Huge footprint, but with air-cooling, you can get your light close to plants tops for great coverage of a 4x4. In one of my gardens I have one XXXL flanked by 2 valubrites. The plants on the inside edges of the tables get crazy lumens, and almost always produce the best. The XXXLs don't "focus" the light so much as throw it all over, IMHO. So the choice of hoods should be tailored to the garden space itself. But if you can afford it, XXXXXXXXXL, all the way.

R

REGISTRD

I just got off the phone with the shop I go to and they told me they discontinued the xxxl magnum in the 6". So were you able to score a 6", REGISTRD ??? Let us know what you think of it because I was really wanting one. Late...!

Hmmm as far as I know my partner ordered a whole shitload of em and I should have em on monday..
I will keep the thread updated...

ALT.
REmember im NOT AIR-COOLING so thats why i went with the 6's and were working with a tall strain and standard 8ft ceilings so as it is ill be drilling the hoods directly to the roof! The 8" hoods are almost 2in taller as well.
SO ya well have a XXXL 1k watt Hortilux over every 3x3 tray..:cool0010:

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice reg you will be very happy with your choice in hoods.. As far as the 6in being discontinued I have never heard of such a thing.. I think the 8(ocho) is better choice than the 6in if air cooling your hoods but I am running 5K of the 6in XXXL an temps do not exceed 78 deg in my grow:)

gtd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom