What, in breeding, makes a strain "hermie" prone?

• Thread starter hightide
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hightide

hightide

With all the debate on user error or breeder error; What is the culprit in breeding?
I have grown out stuff from over 40 breeders and dif. pollen chuckers as well.
I have only had one circumstance to have a clear "hermie" problem.
This was Cali Con fem. stuff.
Over the last 20+ years I have delt with close to perfect to very imperfect grows.
Light leaks and all that fun stuff when learning. But no massive populations of hermies.
Maybe I'm just lucky.
What gives?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Ive heard of a all male 10 pack as well as all fem in regs (unfemmed). Chances are this may be the culprit? Its highly unlikely but possible when packing by 10's, chances are the next 100 were more stable. Look at it as the whole lot of beans from that gen. Andthe amount of herms appear, by the lot average its acceptable but they'll be one person whos experience is less than average.

I appologize for not aswering the ? At hand but I only know whats to be known, nothing anyone hasent already mentioned in this forum.

hightide

hightide

So when picking packs by the the 10s are you saying this is just a numbers thing?
Chance?
Saying the next hundred will be more stable simple implies that happenstance, fluke or accident was the culprit.

I know that a grower can have problems that will induce or create more hermies out of a pack... or more, but what does a breeder
do incorrectly to make this happen?

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Its a chances game and when the numbers lower the percentage rises. It could have been a fluke, considering the generation has hermis then its hard to account the grower when herm tendencies are known to be present. Hermis come in all fashions, some know who they are and some need a lil influence.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

So when picking packs by the the 10s are you saying this is just a numbers thing?
Chance?
Saying the next hundred will be more stable simple implies that happenstance, fluke or accident was the culprit.

I know that a grower can have problems that will induce or create more hermies out of a pack... or more, but what does a breeder
do incorrectly to make this happen?
First thing that comes to mind for grower error is phenotype unfamiliararity....
For breeding for me many of my mistakes if I was indeed trying to create specific or prevent specific seeds was and is cross contamination for instance I'm sure breeders weed out plants but how and when if you catch undesirable plants soon enough it doesn't matter but if your waiting to see some true expressions it may be mature enough to throw out pollen and when it does what measures are breeders taking to prevent cross contamination... Just thinking outloud

Top Bottom