What is happening to my sprouting plants

• Thread starter elektradw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
so how do these plants grow in the wild with full sun even during early growth. It is a weed isnt it? They don't get pampered in the wild but. yet they survive.
And I'm sure the germination rate is less than 90%

growsince79

growsince79

so how do these plants grow in the wild with full sun even during early growth. It is a weed isnt it? They don't get pampered in the wild but. yet they survive.
In the wild, they drop 1000 seeds for everyone that survives. Also, sunlight is better than artificial. My seedlings are in the window right now getting 50k lux and loving it. If I give them 50k artificial light will fry them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I go by lux and it gets ya close. There are lux to par conversions that can be used based on light source. Yes it intended for human vision and measures more green/yellow but knowing the light source you can convert the readings into par on thier known ratios. Lux does not work with blurple lights because they lack yellow and green but can be used fairly reliability with full spectrum lights..but it looks like even those calculations are able to be done now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Absolutely 35k is WAAAAAAY to much for seedlings. 5-10k is where they should start.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
50k is indoors through my window in winter. Outside, in the summer they get over 100k sometimes 6-8hrs solid and don't burn. Plant love sunshine. Comparing to artificial light is apples and oranges.
Really? That would be 2300ppfd.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Let me pull up some info on it. Peak hours are usual like 3-4hrs and the intensity varies a lot throughout the day and day to day.

Remember we are going by DLI here. So 35k for 18hrs a day is a fuck ton of light for a seedling.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Let me pull up some info on it. Peak hours are usual like 3-4hrs and the intensity varies a lot throughout the day and day to day.

Remember we are going by DLI here. So 35k for 18hrs a day is a fuck ton of light for a seedling.
Oh ya forgot about dli.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Again you have to remember 100,000 is peak light on a clear sunny day. Its not 18 hrs. They also don't get 18 hrs of light.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Cannabis isn't a wild plant and it requires some form of cultivation. Sativa is latin for cultivated.
Most young plants don't get direct sun and it's the uv that does it to them Using lux is fine provided you know the source of the light but on forums like this is one person's 35k lux could be a very different from another growers light output based on the color.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ya that's what I was missing.
I cant find my info but basically its 3-4hrs of peak light windows will filter 25-50% of it. A cloudy day may only give 2000 lux peak. The point is its not a consistent value with the sun and if you look at many outdoor plants on a very clear warm day the will droop and not be happy during the peak hours but in the evening perk back up. What we need to go by is the DLI and maximum intensity. The use of co2 only makes photosynthesis more efficient so it can handle more light before going into photorespiration or photoinhabition. I forget which term is correct.

growsince79

growsince79

If I give seedlings 50K of led for 4hrs, Im pretty sure they would be dead. In the sun, they will thrive. Apples and oranges.

Top Bottom