targeting as much of the cannabinoids in the biomass
as possible such as THC and CBD without much
consideration to the flavor and aroma content, which is
known to produce synergistic effects with the
cannabinoids.

Cannabis and hemp processors have been increasingly
using R134a, a creative and effective solvent. In order
to generate distinctive full spectrum goods, it is utilized
to maintain the plant’s entire flavor and aroma profile.
R134a is an affordable extraction method used to
create high-potency extracts with high quality strain
specific properties.

Pure5 Extraction Equipment was designed with the
concept of the lowest-cost operation and the highest
quality outputs possible. The selective polarity of our
chosen solvent and the low pressure at which the
terpenes are extracted leave with you with a higher
quality and more strain specific extract than any other
extraction process currently used in the cannabis
industry.

What is r134a extraction

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
That's interesting. Using refrigerant 134 a as an extraction solvent. I used to be an automotive technician so I know all about it. How are you guys recovering the refrigerant after extraction or are you just letting it off-gas into the atmosphere? Just wondering. I know you're supposed to have an EPA 609 certification to work with r134a and it's pretty bad for the environment unfortunately. This doesn't leave anything behind in the end product, I take it? I'm definitely intrigued to learn more about this procedure!

G

goodlyf

That's interesting. Using refrigerant 134 a as an extraction solvent. I used to be an automotive technician so I know all about it. How are you guys recovering the refrigerant after extraction or are you just letting it off-gas into the atmosphere? Just wondering. I know you're supposed to have an EPA 609 certification to work with r134a and it's pretty bad for the environment unfortunately. This doesn't leave anything behind in the end product, I take it? I'm definitely intrigued to learn more about this procedure!
You do have to have an EPA 608 cert to be able to work with a r134a extractor. If you want to use R134A alone it extracts nothing unless you use a co-solvent or extract under very high pressure. It has been known to the pharma, fragrance and flavor industry for over 20 years. The extract needs winterization after extraction. If you don’t decarb starting material you have low yields and better taste, if you decarb starting material have a higher yields but less terpene content. If the extract is not fully purged it can produce Hydrogen Fluoride if it's heated past 480 deg F. So purge is super important there must be ZERO residual Hydrogen Fluoride is deadly! r134a is a CFC being phased out of many industries by HFCs and newer HFOs because CFCs are OZONE DEPLETING CHEMICALS. The bulk of the solvent is recovered in the closed loop system via vacuum. Residual solvents can be rotovaped out because the residual solvent will off gas during heating of the extract.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
You do have to have an EPA 608 cert to be able to work with a r134a extractor. If you want to use R134A alone it extracts nothing unless you use a co-solvent or extract under very high pressure. It has been known to the pharma, fragrance and flavor industry for over 20 years. The extract needs winterization after extraction. If you don’t decarb starting material you have low yields and better taste, if you decarb starting material have a higher yields but less terpene content. If the extract is not fully purged it can produce Hydrogen Fluoride if it's heated past 480 deg F. So purge is super important there must be ZERO residual Hydrogen Fluoride is deadly! r134a is a CFC being phased out of many industries by HFCs and newer HFOs because CFCs are OZONE DEPLETING CHEMICALS. The bulk of the solvent is recovered in the closed loop system via vacuum. Residual solvents can be rotovaped out because the residual solvent will off gas during heating of the extract.

I worked with an older gentleman who turned wrenches since he was able to hold one.. He was telling me what it was like working in a shop in Phoenix, AZ during the 70's and most of the 80's - they used to just vent the R-12 directly to open air. He said they did this so often every day there would be a cloud of refrigerant hovering above the shop floor all day. I can only imagine what it was doing to their lungs! 🤣 I'm sure this was common practice up till '94

G

goodlyf

I worked with an older gentleman who turned wrenches since he was able to hold one.. He was telling me what it was like working in a shop in Phoenix, AZ during the 70's and most of the 80's - they used to just vent the R-12 directly to open air. He said they did this so often every day there would be a cloud of refrigerant hovering above the shop floor all day. I can only imagine what it was doing to their lungs! 🤣 I'm sure this was common practice up till '94
That's nuts! Speaking of lungs one factoid about r134a is it's used in asthma inhalers as the propellent, apparently is has a very low acute inhalation toxicity. Just don't heat it above 480 dreg F and inhale, the outcome would be less than desirable.

G

Glomus

Nice so its horrible for the environment and deadly to humans, sounds like cannabis processing is still headed in that direction. What makes it better then N-butane?

Latest posts

Top Bottom