What is the best cover crop?

• Thread starter Michigan.Out.Of.Doors
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

I'm going to the local gardening store and im looking for your opinions on the best cover crop that's affordable and easily accessible and maintainable ,looking for one that helps that plant

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

I'm seeing that clover is verry good for nitrogen,any other good companion corps?

Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

indoors or outdoors?what benefits are you looking to acheive?Clover can be a treat for pests. I like to attract beneficial insects with small flowering covers like buckwheat and vetch.I would do some research for the area you are in and see what native covers are available or grow near you.You might have things local that are free.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I'm going to the local gardening store and im looking for your opinions on the best cover crop that's affordable and easily accessible and maintainable ,looking for one that helps that plant

If you can keep the clover growing over next winter, planting directly into a living cover crop is one of the big regenerative agricultural practices now. It has huge benefits for crops like corn, according to the farmers I know who use it. This is in comparison to regular no-till, with a dead cover crop.

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

White clover.
indoors or outdoors?what benefits are you looking to acheive?Clover can be a treat for pests. I like to attract beneficial insects with small flowering covers like buckwheat and vetch.I would do some research for the area you are in and see what native covers are available or grow near you.You might have things local that are free.
Outdoors,I'm looking for something that can aerate the soil and hold nutrients unread of them running off,

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

If you can keep the clover growing over next winter, planting directly into a living cover crop is one of the big regenerative agricultural practices now. It has huge benefits for crops like corn, according to the farmers I know who use it. This is in comparison to regular no-till, with a dead cover crop.
Oh sweet,does snow kill clove?

Harvard

Harvard

White clover.
Or medium red clover
DB113A47 2155 41A2 A956 97FB4A35A1E4

Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

Daikon radish is a good nutrient bomb and they leave alot of aeration. I would do some research or watch some videos about using cover crops.Figure out how to grow some in the off season and some in the on season,depending on the desired results.You should spend the time learning about them before usng them.

Harvard

Harvard

Daikon radish is a good nutrient bomb and they leave alot of aeration. I would do some research or watch some videos about using cover crops.Figure out how to grow some in the off season and some in the on season,depending on the desired results.You should spend the time learning about them before usng them.
Yup radish, another good one. Rye, buckwheat
7631EB52 B0E4 4815 B3E5 C55DD777EF56
FBAC2425 5E62 4874 BAE9 1EA426E0CC1B

Last edited:
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

dayum harvard!!! Whats you cannabis look like? Loving this cover crop action!!! I was thinking of running Build a soils blend, it has red clover, vetch, legumes and rye i believe. Its a 12 seed mix, 60% clover.

Harvard

Harvard

dayum harvard!!! Whats you cannabis look like? Loving this cover crop action!!! I was thinking of running Build a soils blend, it has red clover, vetch, legumes and rye i believe. Its a 12 seed mix, 60% clover.
Them pictures are a few years old and is my orchard. Apple, pear, peach and cherry trees. I also have a few acres of white clover with 20-30 apple trees. Bees love the clover.
DCD16384 CE15 4787 9A1F FF1858E7CB50

F32080A5 A878 41C5 9052 2AFCBFE49A76

Grow a nice garden every year also.
5316C5EA 8B22 4F5E 91CD 3C555D9EFC24

Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

Theres quite a few programs to help people start keeping bees.Thats rad you are thinking about it!

TheForechecker

TheForechecker

No, but it’s crossed my mind. I’ve also thought about having someone else bring their hives here. I have about 5 acres of clover, 50 fruit trees, raspberry patch, Apache blackberry patch, a vineyard, asparagus rows. A bees dream, lol.
You should look into Mason, Leafcutter or Alfalfa bees, they do the work of 10 honeybees (they splash into the pollen like grenades and spread it all over instead of collecting on legs).

You can just buy them and release them and they will pollinate and do their thing for 6 or 8 weeks then make coccons in holes around yard for next year. They are passive friendly solitary bees you can order online by the bagful. Pretty easy to make them homes too. Block of wood, drill holes, parchment paper.

This place has some good info and sell the bees in Canada. https://backyardpollinator.ca

Cheers. Love the bees!

Top Bottom