What is your preferred method for removing chlorine or chloramine in tap water?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the123321

the123321

I have read that it is harder to remove chloramine from tap water but what methods do you use to remove chlorine or chloramine or both of those from your tap water? I have been letting the water sit out a few nights before using it to water the plants but I am going to start using a 5 gallon bucket to let the water sit in it.

I am able to smell the chlorine smell in the tap water and the water seems to have a lower chlorine smell after it sits out a few days on there.

Do you use a air bubble pump? How big? Does it need to be in the dark on there?

I read about using ascorbic acid vitamin c powder to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine in water. That sounds like it would be the easiest way to do it. How many of you do that? How much do you use per gallon on there for it?

Lordly

Lordly

i planned to buy cheap 60$ reverse osmosis on amazon,but unfortunately its not available anymore,right now im doing same thing as you do and your question sounds good,lets wait for someone who knows better technique.

chemistry

chemistry

In DWC I just took a five gallon barrel from the tap water we have, and leave the cap off for 24 hours, job done. You can bubble it out, but to be honest, I drink it from the tap and I'm still here. In a flood n drain situation I would feed it to the plants from the tap and let it bubble out on it's own. Feeding tap water in coco, I've had no after effects from using it direct from the tap, and at 268ppm, I'm getting some thing free some were along the line. lol

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

I have read that it is harder to remove chloramine from tap water but what methods do you use to remove chlorine or chloramine or both of those from your tap water? I have been letting the water sit out a few nights before using it to water the plants but I am going to start using a 5 gallon bucket to let the water sit in it.

I am able to smell the chlorine smell in the tap water and the water seems to have a lower chlorine smell after it sits out a few days on there.

Do you use a air bubble pump? How big? Does it need to be in the dark on there?

I read about using ascorbic acid vitamin c powder to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine in water. That sounds like it would be the easiest way to do it. How many of you do that? How much do you use per gallon on there for it?

I would use this if I wasn't using an online garden hose filter. I don't really worry about it much though.
Seachem Prime 1000ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HF5T4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_o7XQEbK3CQGPH

It is very concentrated

Lordly

Lordly

In DWC I just took a five gallon barrel from the tap water we have, and leave the cap off for 24 hours, job done. You can bubble it out, but to be honest, I drink it from the tap and I'm still here. In a flood n drain situation I would feed it to the plants from the tap and let it bubble out on it's own. Feeding tap water in coco, I've had no after effects from using it direct from the tap, and at 268ppm, I'm getting some thing free some were along the line. lol
I would use this if I wasn't using an online garden hose filter. I don't really worry about it much though.
Seachem Prime 1000ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HF5T4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_o7XQEbK3CQGPH

It is very concentrated
the problem is that chlorine kills beneficial bacterias in medium,thats the main problem,but if you arent using any bacteria in your medium,you are free to go, water from the tap 😊

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Here in Tasmania we have the same type of tap water I fill my 50 lt tank and run air stone simple aqua pump after 24 to 48 hr it seems to smell better and ph is down from 6.8 to 6.4 , not sure if adding air is right but it’s working for me .

chemistry

chemistry

the problem is that chlorine kills beneficial bacterias in medium,thats the main problem,but if you arent using any bacteria in your medium,you are free to go, water from the tap 😊

I use enzymes, better for your plants, stuff bacteria. lol

Lordly

Lordly

I use enzymes, better for your plants, stuff bacteria. lol
im also using sensizym,but im using also mykos and im planning to use many other bacterias and you dont want chlorine to meet them in medium,they will all die(enzymes not included),you get zero benefits from that. about enzymes im gonna say,it helps medium to clean shit(damaged roots,etc...) and also some beneficial bacterias produce enzymes 😊

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

I do use an inline carbon filter. I just don't worry about chloramine myself. But that Seachem prime is designed to eliminate heavy metals, chlorine and chloramine. Safe for the biomass. One tsp treats 100 gal. I use it to do daily partial water changes on my minnow cooler and discard the old water in my planters and landscape with no undesirable effects. So far I have had zero problems with the inline filter so I will keep using it.

Dan789

Dan789

I’m in the bubble it out with air stones and 5 gallon containers for a few days camp...but I grow in soil.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Check the source water report to see which one they are using. Chlorine can be bubbled out or let sit out. Chloramine needs to be chemically treated, boiled for a long duration, or filtered. Sitting out or bubbling won't do anything for that.

The simple answer and easiest is RO or chemical treatment. Remember Cl is a micro. A very small small part but it still is. If you are running hydroponics I wouldn't filter unless you needed to for sodium or hardness. It's funny how many people I see paying to strip their water to turn around and pay to add a bottle of something to help them fight off bad bacteria.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Seachem prime and ascorbic acid will break the bond of chloramine. With that said both clorine and chloramine react with organics and are destroyed I the process. Most water supplies have about 1ppm with a max allowable of 4 ppm. It may put a small dent in the population but bacteria and fungi reproduce extremely fast. If your not in hydro and doing a 100% water change it shouldn't even be a concern.

pdasterly

pdasterly

+1 on seachem prime, im using 3m whole house filters ap902 and ap904. this takes my ppm from 120 to 40, then to hydrologic ro1000 with pre-evolution pre-filter and uv sterilizer, 0ppm

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

+1 on seachem prime, im using 3m whole house filters ap902 and ap904. this takes my ppm from 120 to 40, then to hydrologic ro1000 with pre-evolution pre-filter and uv sterilizer, 0ppm
Yeah it's best bang for buck. 1ml does 10gal. I think seachem safe if even more concentrated

Lordly

Lordly

Seachem prime and ascorbic acid will break the bond of chloramine. With that said both clorine and chloramine react with organics and are destroyed I the process. Most water supplies have about 1ppm with a max allowable of 4 ppm. It may put a small dent in the population but bacteria and fungi reproduce extremely fast. If your not in hydro and doing a 100% water change it shouldn't even be a concern.
does seachem prime kill beneficial bacterias in medium(soil/coco) when watering with it?

chemistry

chemistry

Just been informed by my partner that her friend has a flower shop, said her friend uses Camden Tablets to break down Chloramine.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

does seachem prime kill beneficial bacterias in medium(soil/coco) when watering with it?
Minimal if I were to guess. I am no botanist although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It does have some salts that might be a problem over long periods of reusing soil. Might want to contact them if you plan on using it would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom