What is your preplanting process for seeds that have been stored in the refrigerator?

• Thread starter ReelBusy1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ReelBusy1

Seeds were stored in Fridge.

How long to thaw before germing or planting?

If thaw isn't the right word, what is your pre-planting process for seeds that have been stored in the refrigerator to harden?

S

sativablast

ive just put them between wet paper towel in a bowl with a lid on in a dark warm place last 5 i did all germed.

CBF

CBF

Supporter
when you say fridge, are you talkin crisper, if so, just take um out and germ as normal.

if in the freezer, you could let um thaw before ya hit um with a wet paper towel or whatever method you use. never had froze a seed myself. keep all my seed in a crisper in the fridge. take um out, push into dirt, and water. keep moist till sprout.

aka

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

Out of the fridge, into a shot glass full of water for 24 hrs. then into soil, I don't use the paper towel method anymore. Don't need to.

R

ReelBusy1

when you say fridge, are you talkin crisper, if so, just take um out and germ as normal.

if in the freezer, you could let um thaw before ya hit um with a wet paper towel or whatever method you use. never had froze a seed myself. keep all my seed in a crisper in the fridge. take um out, push into dirt, and water. keep moist till sprout.

aka

yes I did mean the crisper not the freezer.
Awesome tips everyone - keep them coming.
thank you!

S

surfershine

I've always used the paper towel metod, but hang it in a plastic bag left open. This allows for the gas exchange and excess water to be removed for the media(towel). Allows for less chance of contamination. Oh, damp the towel when you notice its getting to dry.

B

bicycle racer

i dont think any steps are needed coming out of the fridge i get 100% germ rates with most strains.

L

l33t

I like to keep em out for 24 hrs in room temps then germ.

just my 2 cents

H

hoosierdaddy

I don't think any extended time is needed to bring the seed out of stasis. It will start to do that as quickly as the ambient temp changes.
To me seeds always seem a bit more viable right out of the fridge than room temp seeds.Maybe see a faster germ with ones right out of the fridge than ones cast from room temp, due to the jump-start effect of a larger temp swing.

Anywho...I just cast 5-MF, 5-F13, 5-BB right out of the fridge and on top of prepared jiffys. Looks like I have 100% of some fine genetics!:damnhippie:
THing is, alls I'm gonna have to smoke on while I wait for these are 4 stinky sbbx4's....but hey...such is life.
:smiley_joint:

D

DaddyzCrazy

Out of the fridge, into water then dirt. No problems so far!

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

I put my seeds from the fridge - where I keep them stored- into the deep freeze for 24 hours before germ them.. no longer as they will really freeze..one day is a year of life to the plant.. the idea behind this is to trick the seed into thinking winter has come and gone and now its spring so start growing .. I feel I get more females by doing this..

L

Liberty_Seed

I had what I thought was dead seeds or duds and really bummed because I have saved these gentics for some time so I had been throwing the seeds aside. These paticular ones soaked for a week normally w/ water changes daily with no cracking. These old seeds were stored in a dry place & not the frig btw.

Not giving up I put them in a shot glass again w/ water and couple of drops of H2O2, what do you know CRACK! only 1 and half days later. They almost got thrown away.
You'll see little bubles around the seed dont be alarmed.

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I do not believe in soaking. Unless they are old badly stored seeds.
I put them straight into a 40 gram peat puck. 40 grams wet that is.
A little SPT and B1 and into the darkness.
As soon as I see anything on the surface they go into the clone dome under flouros.
After a couple days of that into the hid.
I have done this the last 3 times I germed and got 100% each time.
Even with some tiny pale seeds form nirvana.
I dont like the idea of transplanting that young a plant.

Top Bottom