What Kind Of Little Infant Cannabis Killer Is This?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I think I've got an entire eco-system in my grow room.

I think like most now that it's a two spotted spider mite close up on my leaf. I think that the whitish looking larvae thing might be the larvae from a species of midge. I have a lot of midges where I live.

I damn well hope that they are what I hope they are because the midge is the natural predator of the spider mite, eggs and all.

Wouldn't that be the silver lining on my clouds or do I got it wrong?
Sounds to me you lack a active well rounded IPM bro. The trick is to have it in place and practice it so you dont have to go to war!!! Much easier to prevent rather than eradicate. Pretty sure you know this tho. Step it up broher.

S

Shawnery

IMP?

I didn't expect such an issue indoors with pests but I think it came from the clones considering the state of the roots.

Not to mention I allowed the humidity to get to high for a few days and that didn't help what ever infestation there was.

I know this is going to sound stupid to some but I have a hard time killing anything, even bugs. So if I read, not only a few places but we'll documented, about the use of h202/water/maybe molasses I'm going to naturally lean that way.

That's also the reason i decided to try carnivorous pests to help the issue since that's just the natural cycle of life.

If it works and by that I mean keep it in check than I'm happy. If it curtails the problem near completely I will be ecstatic.

Even if I can't get rid of them it's pretty easy to remove them before you dry and cure. It's actually a well known way of removing pests after harvest.

Live and learn! Next time I will definility have a pre-infestation plan in place.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
IMP?

I didn't expect such an issue indoors with pests but I think it came from the clones considering the state of the roots.

Not to mention I allowed the humidity to get to high for a few days and that didn't help what ever infestation there was.

I know this is going to sound stupid to some but I have a hard time killing anything, even bugs. So if I read, not only a few places but we'll documented, about the use of h202/water/maybe molasses I'm going to naturally lean that way.

That's also the reason i decided to try carnivorous pests to help the issue since that's just the natural cycle of life.

If it works and by that I mean keep it in check than I'm happy. If it curtails the problem near completely I will be ecstatic.

Even if I can't get rid of them it's pretty easy to remove them before you dry and cure. It's actually a well known way of removing pests after harvest.

Live and learn! Next time I will definility have a pre-infestation plan in place.
Im telling you bro if you dont like killing things you are gonna cry when you open the room and realize you just sentenced 1000s of lady bugs to death by fan and lightbulb

S

Shawnery

Th
Im telling you bro if you dont like killing things you are gonna cry when you open the room and realize you just sentenced 1000s of lady bugs to death by fan and lightbulb

Not to mention the praying mantis I'm sure.
That's not by my hand!
It's all in the details!
I'll do my best!

Dunge

Dunge

I bought a few cards of lace wing eggs a few years ago.
They hatch monster nymphs.
Look like armored articulated fighter bots, only so small you need good optics to enjoy them.
They grow into adult lace wings, which then lay beautiful little white eggs suspended from a thread.
The adults eat pollen, if memory serves.
And those little nymphs have sharp mandibles.
They are fast and born hungry.

How might one facilitate a lace wing population?

S

Shawnery

I'll be completely honest,

Last night I tried the water 1g/sugar 8oz/peroxide 8oz. Yesterday atleast 30% of my screen looked sad. The rest of the plant looked just ok but healthy. It also drank 0% water that day as well.

Today I go out afraid of what's to come and the entire plant looks like night and day for the better. There's 10% that's still sad but even that looks better. Much less infestation in same sections of screen. Last and not least my girls drank 5 gallons of water almost over night

I'm well aware it's a mixture of circumstances that allow a living organism to flourish or perish but it sure appears that my foliar spray didn't do any harm.

brazel

brazel

Mites, talk about hard photo, little fuckersmove fast. That little pocket microscope is not the easiest way to go on a camnabis safari.
And I got big fat green catipeller as well thst are hard to find. I assume they don't come out till night because that's when I found one. About 4 minutes after dark.
Definitely, I used to go out around midnight getting moths

S

Shawnery

So I got a question for you guys,

Let's say I do the hydrogen peroxide water and sugar and then move on to ladybugs and praying mantis and the problem is taking care of adequately. It's almost impossible to say that a spider mite problem can be taken care of completely even when using the most horrid chemicals available like people say it's like dealing with the Borg.

So let's say I get to the end of my Harvest plants look healthy no fucking webs covering my beauties, what will your response be then?

Will you then say it was luck it was coincidence it was something else besides what you use it was X and Y but not a and b.

Trust me if I get to the end of this and my plants look like crap and like they're on their last legs I will admit openly and honestly that I was wrong and you guys were right.

There's often more than one way to skin a cat and I agree some ways are better than others but there are always options

S

Shawnery

Every spider mite I could find, way less than a week ago or even two days, is dead in it's tracks!

Boom Baby, h202/sugar/water, lucky maybe or maybe not! Not to mention my plants look fantastic!

20171029 120640
S

Shawnery

It's dead, every single one is dead that I found, couldn't get them to move one bit. It was easy to get them to move before this. If you think about it they just died in the last 8 hours so they would still look normal.

The sugar is supposed to gum up there breathing process. I doubt you would even notice the damage at all.

S

Shawnery

I've been doing some reading, general organic gardening articles and papers, about mites. I found info that states, besides bees and a certain ant, most bugs aren't able to process sugars. So what happens is when the mite eats plant material with the sugar on it the mite expandes from the inside out. It literally squeezes the life out of the mite from the inside out.

Not to mention, I can't imagine a spider mite being caught in drying solution would be immobilized as well.

I also did some more research in general organic gardening, not forums, about the effect of water/sugar on plants. We all know the benefits of adding molasses or other sugar inspired products to our roots all though I have not done this. So what might the benefit of the same solution as a foliar spray?

It's been used for ever by organic farmers before organic was even a thing, milk too by the way, look it up! There are many long time organic farmers that swear in the benefits of sugar for a plant even as a foliar spray.

I found a study by a university that showed only minimal, almost nil, beneficial impact on yield. There were small increases in yield but not enough to be statistically meaningful. I can tell you o e thing though, they didn't find any detrimental effects of the spray at all.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I wish you the best of luck. I've only been growing 10 plus years and if what ypu mentioned worked, me and everyone else would be doing it. Again goodluck and Happy Growing

S

Shawnery

Let me ask you something.

Have you ever personally tried treating a spider mite infestation with water/h202/sugar?

I respect your experience and your opinion but that in no way precludes you from missing something along the way.

Anyone here ever put milk in their soil or use it as a foliar spray for aphids? This technique has been used for centuries but I would bet most people here think it's blasphemy.

As for predatory insects I can't tell you how many positive reviews are out there on there use.

Again I ask you this,

Even though you have ten years experience and consider my solution to the problem ineffective at best would you not reconsider if I can provide real life experience that proves otherwise? Or would you assume I'm lying or maybe just simply stick to what you know.

Dunge

Dunge

What we all agree is that you have mites.
No shame in that.
It's on you to get your plants through flower however you like.

I don't like the idea of spraying anything on my plants that is going to stay there.
I don't see how sugar is going anyplace once sprayed.

I also fail to understand your mode of action model.
It is my understanding that a mite pierces the cuticle and sucks from within the leaf.
How does sugar get inside the mite? (for subsequent explosion)

This is why I would prefer 40% isopropanol spray.
It does its work and evaporates.

I'm hoping you can demonstrate success and provide us all with something to think on.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I'm always looking to learn something new, I've just had mites more than I'd like to admit and I can tell you almost everything you shouldn't do. Again wish ya the best of luck

Enforcer

Enforcer

Kinda looks like a russet mite
Shawnery, based on your original post GIF, I think he’s right. You may have (or had) both. Spider mites don’t have a larval stage, and it doesn’t look like a Midge to me. As far as spider mites go, I also used Green Cleaner with good results. I have read that predatory mites work well, but I haven’t tried it myself. I do know your lady bugs will love the sugar water. Good luck.

Top Bottom