What LED Light for $300.00?

• Thread starter NeWcS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Ganjalover

Why spend all that money on overpriced LEDs when 250w hps can outperform the best of them for a fraction of the cost.
100_4389.JPG

NeWcS

NeWcS

If I had the room and/or ventilation I would use an HID but I don't. Between my LED and my CFL's I think I'll be just fine. If not you guys are welcome to say you told me so.

And BTW; Why so many haters in the LED section? I'm sure it wasn't put in place to bash them.

Thx for all the input! Positive or negative

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Were are not here to bash on you. I myself have not used them. You are correct. Although I have seen with my own eyes a few grows from them. A buddy of mine spent thousands on them. I thought it might of been a good idea at first too.
What I always do is look into the produce industry and farming. See what they use. HID's.
Do you really think that LED will not put out any heat? I bet a 250 watt will put out less heat.
About a few months ago there was a HUGE deal about a person that scammed people by the LED's. The LEDGIRL was a moderator and is on other sites. HeSHe WILL change posts to make them sound better or put words in peoples mouth.
I sure hope you do not plan on having a large harvest or have patients depending on YOU for there meds.
The reason there are so many haters is cus of the BS that went on.

I wish you luck and do hope you take pretty much everyones advise on here and cancel your order.

I do not know why you think all HID's put out so much heat.

R

RICHSCOTT68

I agree waste!!!! I use hydrofarm t5's and i have great resulsts for veggn

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Um, because they do. Seriously. Plus, they do use a LOT of juice. Maybe where you live a 400W light would add $15/month to the bill, absolutely not where I live. I use my HID lighting to keep my room warm in winter, and that's "only" 1200W. Those 1200W have added well over $200/mth to our bill, often (depending on what I'm doing) it's much more.

I hope to see good grows coming from LED technology. So many heads and growers are all into tree-hugging, being organic, natural, not furthering harm to the earth, yet are married to HIDs like a Catholic. Yet here *I* am seeing people growing corals and other high light intensity-requiring photosynthetic organisms like nobody's business in large systems (125gals is a deep tank), burning these animals even, with LEDs for Christ's sakes! How can you burn something if the light has no push/power? These animals require that humans mimic the equatorial sun as it passes through water, so the only thing they're not doing is pushing the red-yellow end of the spectrum.

Last thing coming to an LED near you is spectrum/wavelength, and I personally would love to know that they're hitting it for growing terrestrial flowering plants. We need to remove ourselves from the black teat of oil and one of the ways to do that is to use less electricity (and power it differently, but that's another rant).

The OP didn't ask people's opinions on LED lighting here, either. He/she asked what was the best LED unit for their money. If you don't have the answer, then you don't have the answer, but don't try to upsell on the HIDs like a person is completely ignorant when they've clearly come to a conclusion based on their own requirements, needs and abilities. Power consumption is a huge issue for the OP, and so that should be respected when considering an answer.

At that point, that's where I can appreciate the CFL and T5 lighting options offered, because they marry lower power consumption with lower heat production along with ready availability, cost, spectrum, push, AND have been proven far better than the technology offered by some LED manufacturers. That makes using CFLs much easier for most people in just about every way I can think of. Doesn't mean I'm going to try to convince the OP to go with CFLs, though, that's not what he's asking.

Plus, a grower like me needs growers like the OP who are willing to spend the same amount of $$$ on a relatively untried LED light to see if it works because ultimately *they* will be the people who drive the cost of the technology down, which makes it easier for others to access.

I sure do wish Peaceful Valley would have given more information on their LED grow bars (series of spotlights). Wanted to mention to the OP that Cree bulbs have gained a great deal of popularity in other venues/interests/areas. Had I had the chance to lay some $$$ on Cree's IPO I would have, they're that good.

whitelion

whitelion

I love how people push you to hids! Go fuck yourself! LEDS WORK! LIKE IT OR NOT! The question wasn't about the type of light, fuck sticks!

NeWcS

NeWcS

The OP didn't ask people's opinions on LED lighting here, either. He/she asked what was the best LED unit for their money. If you don't have the answer, then you don't have the answer, but don't try to upsell on the HIDs like a person is completely ignorant when they've clearly come to a conclusion based on their own requirements, needs and abilities. Power consumption is a huge issue for the OP, and so that should be respected when considering an answer..

If only I was better with words this is exactly what I would have said. Thx.

NeWcS

NeWcS

whoever said that LED doesnt work, read the whole thread.

I know, Ive read sooooo many threads proving they work fine. Will it out do a HID for the price. NO. Will it still grow good ass tweed for the small time hobbyist like me, time will tell but Im saying YES!!!

M

Muddy Waters

I set up a small indoor grow area using a 400 watt HPS light. I soon found out that I couldn't control the heat in that area. Temps were getting as high as 105 degrees with the fan running full tilt. So rather than scrapping that area I replaced the HPS with a 180 watt LED. Immediately solved the heat issues. I'm currently on my 3rd grow. The first was 6 Diesel Ryders which yielded 8 ounces, two plants giving 1 1/2 each. Second grow was 4 Mi5. They yielded 9 1/2 ounces with one plant giving almost 3. I have since built another area where I am using the 400 watt HPS to grow some Onyx and Auto Assassin. Next grow in there will be Mi5 so I will have a valid comparison between the LED and the HPS.

When I started researching LEDs I heard all the negative things being said. What I learned was that all the LEDs that people were dissatisfied with were using 1 watt LEDs. The 1 watters don't have the penetration to grow good buds. The one I'm using is all 3 watters. It's also full spectrum, using 9 different wavelengths to create 95% usable light. The light penetration is 36", compared to about 12" for 1 watters. While this still may not be enough if you want to grow 4 or 5' full size plants, it's plenty to grow autos or smaller full size.

I couldn't be happier with the performance of my light. The biggest of the Mi5s, the one that produced almost 3 ounces, had a main cola that was 18" long and 4" in diameter. My advice to anyone thinking of using LEDs is to stay away from the cheap ones that only offer 1 watt LEDs and 3 or 5 light spectrums. Yes, the 3 watters are more expensive ( I paid $500 for mine), but the price difference is worth it IMO. I'll more and make up for the extra cost in higher yields, electrical savings and replacement HPS bulbs.

C

casmel

Waste of FUCKING money!!!!

You are wasting your time and padding someones wallet for a bunch of bullshit!!! Spend your money wisely. Look on here and do a SEARCH before you get ripped off and come back here a month later asking questions to why your plants are not growing fast or you are not getting big buds or a big yeild.
You will get jack shit out of a LED especially a cheap one. For $300 go buy a proper grow light. I am pretty sure almost every grower that knows there shit will tell you the same.

DON'T FUCKING BUY LED'S!!! PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Good answer , i just saw the User joker finish a grow and said it sucks for flower but is great for veg .

C

casmel

http://i.invalid.com/gLzZJ.jpg

Seems nice , maybe more ventilation and the CFL lamps pointed downwards to the plant . The plant doesnt want light under its leaves . But still hope you post more pics of your grow . I thik the same that LEDs can grow pretty normal plants , but the quantities are another thing .

NeWcS

NeWcS

CFL lamps pointed downwards to the plant . The plant doesnt want light under its leaves

Why would a plant not benefit from light from both top and bottom? Can anyone confirm that a plant can not turn light into growth from bottom lighting?

Thx!

M

Muddy Waters

NeWcS, I'm new here so the system won't allow me to respond to your PM so I'll post my answer here.

Here's the unit I'm using: Also, some pictures of my first grow here: http://www.themarijuanaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55873.

I'm growing autos, which is how I can get so many under the light. It's rated to cover a 4' square area but I'm using it in a 2 x 2 1/2' space, so my whole grow is within the lights core penetration area. No supplemental lighting, only the LED. If I were growing full sized plants I probably could only fit two in that space.

NeWcS

NeWcS

I guess Ill need to do some reading up and find out what 'Autos' are.
I just ordered a 90w UFO to complete my setup. I should now have plenty of light to grow more then one plant next go around.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
"Autos" are auto-flowering lines, ruderalis I believe is the Cannabis species. They're called auto-flowering because they flower based on how old they are, not on photoperiod. So, you can have an auto under 18/6, and once they reach a certain age they're going to flower no matter what.

I think someone suggested an auto-flowering forum here, but I don't know if it was just kicked around or if it actually got off the ground.

R

Rancor

I set up a small indoor grow area using a 400 watt HPS light. I soon found out that I couldn't control the heat in that area. Temps were getting as high as 105 degrees with the fan running full tilt. So rather than scrapping that area I replaced the HPS with a 180 watt LED. Immediately solved the heat issues. I'm currently on my 3rd grow. The first was 6 Diesel Ryders which yielded 8 ounces, two plants giving 1 1/2 each. Second grow was 4 Mi5. They yielded 9 1/2 ounces with one plant giving almost 3. I have since built another area where I am using the 400 watt HPS to grow some Onyx and Auto Assassin. Next grow in there will be Mi5 so I will have a valid comparison between the LED and the HPS.

When I started researching LEDs I heard all the negative things being said. What I learned was that all the LEDs that people were dissatisfied with were using 1 watt LEDs. The 1 watters don't have the penetration to grow good buds. The one I'm using is all 3 watters. It's also full spectrum, using 9 different wavelengths to create 95% usable light. The light penetration is 36", compared to about 12" for 1 watters. While this still may not be enough if you want to grow 4 or 5' full size plants, it's plenty to grow autos or smaller full size.

I couldn't be happier with the performance of my light. The biggest of the Mi5s, the one that produced almost 3 ounces, had a main cola that was 18" long and 4" in diameter. My advice to anyone thinking of using LEDs is to stay away from the cheap ones that only offer 1 watt LEDs and 3 or 5 light spectrums. Yes, the 3 watters are more expensive ( I paid $500 for mine), but the price difference is worth it IMO. I'll more and make up for the extra cost in higher yields, electrical savings and replacement HPS bulbs.

Hey stranger, good to see you here repping for the good LEDs out there. I can say that you were a good help in deciding that I wanted to use LEDs. Unfortunately, I'm still attempting to round up the necessary monies to get myself one. I look forward to any future grows of yours. I been meaning to check out your most recent one over at the other forum. Time to share the Muddy Waters way with THCfarmer.

This one's for you:

:smiley_joint:

M

medicalmich

people always hate change. I just started a grow with a 120W led so well c how good it does

Latest posts

Top Bottom