what LED WORKS???

• Thread starter Ever after
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ever after

Ever after

easy question what LED works??????????????????

what LED ACTUALLY YIELDS OVER HPS ?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Nothing I've found. I use my LEDs for veg. They work well for that.

Medijuana

Medijuana

If you're only out for yield, I don't think LEDs are going to beat HPS. However, if you're going for quality, LEDs will not disappoint. My virgin grow was with the 357Mag LED, and my meds are awesome. Check out my grow diary if you're curious. I'll be doing another grow in a couple months with an indica-dominant strain, so I should improve my yields. My first grow was with a sativa-dominant strain, so obviously that isn't going to result in spectacular yields anyway. Also, don't forget to factor in energy savings, heat management not being an issue, and overall stealthiness of growing with LEDs.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Can you get LEDs wired for 220? Is a gram per watt easily achievable with LEDs?

W

willy led wonka

Magnums, Callifornia lightworks, apache tech. They come with inter-changeable cords for 110 and 220. But not all lights will work with 220. CLW doesnt recommend 220 on their lights.

Ever after

Ever after

WOW Total Power Consumption: 165 Watts thats only 33 out of 40 LED's for the 200w CLW LED only pulls 165 watts so 7 LEDS DO NOTHING ? OR IS IT DIMMED DOWN SO IT DOESNT BURN OUT? DOES ANYONE KNOW? doesnt that mean that the 3x3 black star chrome yields better the 200w california lightworks solar flare as if you do the math with the black star chrome each 3w led uses 3w of power so you get the whole 3w out of our light so a light with 60 leds with 3 w leds uses 3x 60 = watts and its 3w x 60count = 180w blackstar chrome so that means you get 100% of your electricity to use !!!!!!! so why are blackstar chromes not the best.... you guys should make more sense there people with phd's in science and it would be nice if you actually took some effort in to your research if blackstar chrome leds are bad because they have bad customer service only they are the best led / most powerful / highest yielding led ... then that doesnt make it a very bad led that just makes the companys customer service bad ....... SO WHATS THE GOOD LED's SEEMS LIKE MAGNUM PLUS 2 IS THE SAME TECH AS THE 350 XML DIAMOND SERIES LED FROM ADVANCEDLEDLIGHTS??????????? ONLY THE MAGNUM NAME IS WAY MORE USED AND THERES NO TEST GROWS TO PROVE THAT DIAMOND SERIES LEDS ARE VERY GOOD FROM WHAT IVE SEEN. SO BACK TO THE FIRST QUESTION WHAT LED(s) WORK????????????????????????????????

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

WOW Total Power Consumption: 165 Watts thats only 33 out of 40 LED's for the 200w CLW LED only pulls 165 watts so 7 LEDS DO NOTHING ? OR IS IT DIMMED DOWN SO IT DOESNT BURN OUT? DOES ANYONE KNOW? doesnt that mean that the 3x3 black star chrome yields better the 200w california lightworks solar flare as if you do the math with the black star chrome each 3w led uses 3w of power so you get the whole 3w out of our light so a light with 60 leds with 3 w leds uses 3x 60 = watts and its 3w x 60count = 180w blackstar chrome so that means you get 100% of your electricity to use !!!!!!! so why are blackstar chromes not the best.... you guys should make more sense there people with phd's in science and it would be nice if you actually took some effort in to your research if blackstar chrome leds are bad because they have bad customer service only they are the best led / most powerful / highest yielding led ... then that doesnt make it a very bad led that just makes the companys customer service bad ....... SO WHATS THE GOOD LED's SEEMS LIKE MAGNUM PLUS 2 IS THE SAME TECH AS THE 350 XML DIAMOND SERIES LED FROM ADVANCEDLEDLIGHTS??????????? ONLY THE MAGNUM NAME IS WAY MORE USED AND THERES NO TEST GROWS TO PROVE THAT DIAMOND SERIES LEDS ARE VERY GOOD FROM WHAT IVE SEEN. SO BACK TO THE FIRST QUESTION WHAT LED(s) WORK????????????????????????????????

Aloha,
I am sure that there is a lot of variables for every light made in the LED market. With that in mind, I believe that answers should be given on successful lights that pulled off grows. For my experience, I used a blackstar 240 for my 1st led grow. It pulled 125 watts and made some very rock hard cement like nubs. Very dense, but not so tall. I can only imagine that the newer chromes have better penetration than before. Since then, I have done a lot more research before buying these x lense systems. I settled for the magnum plus. I currently use it for vegging. It hasn't disappointed me yet. I get really bushy plants and it only pulls 300 watts at full spectrum. I tried blackdog led, they were ok. These 3 LEDs have worked well for me and I have had no problems watching plants thrive. I will be doing a flower session with my mag plus for sure. I know it will be the bomb too. There is one other light that I have been looking at. Hydroponics hut X5 300. That has 5 watt leds, and is way cheaper than a lot of other companies. It also has the xlens factor. Busy bee leds have the same one and are claiming that these 5 watt diodes with lenses can produce 5-6 foot plants. Pfffffff, I doubt that, but I am yet to try it. My mag+ currently have 3 footers under it no problems. Perfect height for me to flip outdoor. These would be my 3 choices to flip a coin with personally. Mag+, BS Chrome, or Hydroponics Hut X5. I believe no matter which company you choose, the lights are all manufactured at the same place. They just have different spectra and design according to the sales companies desire. For instance. BS Chrome, Hydro grow led, Mag plus 2, and the Apollo, all have the same case design. Makes you wonder a bit. Just try and find the one that fits your budget. That is what I did to start. From there, I have advanced a few more times. Costly, but still paid off in the long run. Hope that helps.
Happy healing,
PL

squiggly

squiggly

You're not going to out-yield HPS with LED unless you have a multitude of them.

Howeve, I agree with the above poster about quality. The taste/aroma/and amount of trichs under LEDs blows me away,

tags420

tags420

Apache tech and hydro grow have real par output and will grow equal to 600+ watt hid's.
It's all about par output measured in micro moles. I have done in person test with apache and they actually work...950-1100 ppf@12"
Hydro grow advertises some crazy good numbers but I have no experience with them personally.

tags420

tags420

That's awesome thanks man. I can say it for sure now...Apache tech at120 puts out the highest par numbers per watt than anyone and close to best overall. I know people and do some thing for/with apache tech. I know first hand that they putout actual numbers and I have tested them personally with a quantum meter. Apache is now working on a bigger even more powerful unit to come out soon. I was doing research and came onto hydro and their numbers...definatley too good to be true. I am trying to get a hydro grow to test with the meter to actually see real numbers. I have not even seen these units yet but now might not even be worth testing to prove wrong. The owner of apache said that they were full of shit but didn't have the time to go into it, all makes sense now.

Thoth

Thoth

I steer clear of LEDs. I prefer tried and tested old school lightning. ;)

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

There are too many variables to be controlled to get a clear test that proves that LEDs will give you a better yeild.
For example:
A grow test is being done with a side by side test between a 660W LED and a 1000W HPS. You have the same strain, cloned from the same mother. You are using a hydro aero hybrid system with the same resevoir used for both rooms. Therefor the same nutrients are being used. Here is where you run into problems. The HPS is going to put off more heat, causing the plants under it to be drier than plants under the LED system. This will cause the plants under the HPS to take in more water. Now, the plants under the HPS are taking in more nutrients than the plants under LED. This can lead to nutrient burn, but most of all it creates a problem when trying to control the nutrients as a variable. You could heat or cool down one of the rooms, but that creates more uncontrolled variables. Lets say you add an extra fan to the plants under the HPS, that could cause the plants to do better or worse.

tags420

tags420

I don't like they idea that they are on the same rez. The rest seems good

If it were me, I would...
Two tents with no connections of any kind between. Clones from same mom, same type mediums/system, and nutrient line being the only true constants. Like you say growing conditions are going to be different so I would start with a baseline schedule then work to optimize for the situation of each. Just changing the light source without adjusting any other parts of the whole system is over simplifying things. Each situation has a different way of operating at fullest potential and lights are no different. Everything together makes up your whole room setup, which should have some parameters(temp, humidity, air quality, ppm.) that you try to maintain. How you maintain them is going to be where the difference in techniques come out.

I'm interested in the results if that test already happened/is in proccess.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

The nutrient amounts would have to be different, which makes a big difference in the turn out of plants. With the LEDs you can use a higher concentrated amount. Where as with the HPS, you have to do a lower concentrated amount.

These tests have been done time and time again, striving for a balance in contraolled variables. We have been doing side by side testing for over 4 years. We have challenged compact fluorescents, metal halide, high pressure sodium, and other LED fixtures. Blew all of them out of the water, including the HPS on super lumens. All of our tests were done on flowers, vegetables and fruits.

I just started doing testing with medical marijuana. Our first test was to see if it would grow a plant from seed and clone to finish. We got that one under our belts. I have new strains that are going to be tested. I am in the middle of a move, but hope to start our next test January 1st. I will set up my time lapse cameras and post the test on here for everyone to see.

tags420

tags420

I see what you're saying and agree to a point. But I think that different nutrient levels can achieve the same results or at least comparable. Super soil that only needs water and little bit of sugars could minimize the variables. Hard to make a direct comparison like that.

I have heard about lots of results, but always poorly documented or very unscientific to argue anything with, myself included. Sounds like no results for you yet pretty much.

Similar to you, I have a new run that will be full LED and documented with every detail. No comparison to do, just trying show what led's can do. With that said, it will be nothing but ideal conditions for my ladies. Everyone will be able to see what is produced in my given space(10x10) and take it for what it is worth. Numbers won't lie, I count on it being about equal by space and a blowout by per watt yields.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

We have seen results. We just have not yet done a side by side with marijuana.

I think gram per watt has a lot more to do with the grower and strain than the light. The only legitimate way to get a acceptable gram per watt would be to do a controlled side by side comparison test.

I also think gram per watt should include gram per meter squared or another squared measurement.

tags420

tags420

We are getting to difference in opinions so agree to disagree. It is hard to take it for much with out any mmj testing. Ill check out what you end up with.
What is the par output on your GL units? What is the foot print, how many watts does it pull total? The website and little brochure is very uninformative.

monkeymun

monkeymun

It's interesting how almost everyone who has glowing things to say about LED lights is someone selling them. Doesn't make for a convincing argument when the proponents have an obvious bias towards them being good (read: vested interest).

tags420

tags420

If more people used them, then it would be less promotional and more about whats growing underneath them. The start up really cost keep most small growers away. And with the commercial grower, it is hard to get them to take the risk and time curve to change. They have a lot riding on each harvest.
Plus most threads usually ask a question that provokes companies to give a speech... "What is the best LED?" and what not.
I got hooked up with a great deal on my first AT. If that never happened I would still be running hps. Get a quality unit and they work great but 1000-3000$!!!. Now I am just a faithful and satisfied grower/costumer.
I just replaced my whole 10x10 room so I'm committed to it now. We will see if they work as well on this larger room for me.

Top Bottom