What makes a hallow stalk?

• Thread starter beanz240
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

beanz240

So i've seen this a few times and just wondered whats with a plant with a hallow stalk.
Is it a gene thing? Is it a deficency thing?

M

MadBuddhaAbuser

i think it's genetic. supposedly males with hollow stems tend to be more potent. i think thats what dj short said in his "choosing a father" article. smoked a few females with hollow stems and they were damn good and very healthy.

B

beanz240

Well i've had bagseed that was just dog s**t with hallow stalks and had great stuff with hallow stalks. Hmmmmm

A

astro

Genetics must be involved some. Some people say that running a lot of N does it. I have noticed that I get a lot more plants with hollow stalks when running a bubbler rather than E & F. Maybe more oxygen or because the roots are in nutes all the time. I don't know.

G

growlife

not sure but from what i remember if the stalk has the
white build up in them it is salt build up

B

beanz240

Well if i wasn't so lazy last night i would have figured this out. I googled it and found that most all hemp plants are hollow stalked.
I guess i just never realy looked and paid attention.
But thanks for the input everybody.

J

Jalisco Kid

I have seen hollow stalks alot in aero sys and were there is plenty of water and no movement. I would think if you took this strain and put her outdoors with plenty of wind to push the plants around and with just enough water to live well you would find solid stems. A plant is like people in some ways. It works just as hard as it has to, if it is eating well,plenty of moisture it will make just enough cell structure to survive.
You can play with this theory by bending and manhandling a branch on a plant with this structure and see it is different at harvest. Suerte...

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
too me..... a hollow stalk means optimal nutrient flow throughout the plant......whether it's genetic or not I do not know. From my experience.....it's more environmental in nature. i.e. a nute lockout will cause the stems to not be hollow, for whatever that's worth.

bf

M

medicaluser700

I read in a book, I'm pretty sure it was one of jason king's big book of buds, that the buds that are on the hollow stems will be more potent than the ones that aren't.

I know on my plants the hollow stems are on the bigger fatter stalks that are supporting the nicest colas so it makes sense. The main stalk will always IME be hollow same as large side branches, but offshoots of those usually are not hollow.

Thats interesting about salt buildup being visible inside a dried hollow stalk. I wonder if that's true?

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
I will have to check out the salt build up and hollowness. What i have found is that i get a more hollow stalk the longer i let it go without water at finish... I do believe that all are hollow to some degree though..

buttyrekka

buttyrekka

when i grew blueberry that had hollow stems.wasnt a problem in veg but was a right headache in flower.she loved to stretch,that made it very hard to train(i like LST)and when the buds started to develope the stems wouldnt support the weight.so i couldnt train it and it had to be supported:(.
excellent strain though.taste and high made it all worth while:)

T

twisted metal

Someone correct me if im wrong, yea strain has something to do with it. I thought when you flush your plants the stems start hollow out.

C

cozymon

The hollow stems are for using as straws. lol

An amazing plant it is.

U

Ulysses

When DJ says hollow stems on Blueberry, he is referring to a main stem with no white pith inside, IMHO...

It's a mutation most likely- the stem is like the stalk of a green onion (scallion)- doesn't support the plant well at all... Flops all over the place and should be topped to grow the branches outward...

I knocked up all my female BBs with a hollow stem purple male but have yet to test any of the seeds (about half a baby food jar full of them too, so the pollen is potent...)

F

Fear

Well if i wasn't so lazy last night i would have figured this out. I googled it and found that most all hemp plants are hollow stalked.
I guess i just never realy looked and paid attention.
But thanks for the input everybody.

Just was going to say almost all marijuana I've dealt with is hollow stalked.

Top Bottom