What Makes Up A Stellar Stud For Breeding?

• Thread starter Funtcas3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funtcas3

Funtcas3

in your opinion what makes up a stellar stud for breeding? growth? structure? i guess everybody has their own particular cues to look for in a male such as the kind of smell it gives off, structure, growth, etc. But what do you think are the basic principles in identifying a stellar male?

Quagmire

Quagmire

Ok, first off I'm a total amateur when it comes to breeding.. have created a few crosses but only one serious cross.. a good breeder will grow out a bunch of males to choose from but: I look for early trichome production, loaded with pollen sac's and not spotting or just a head of them.. branching, odor-even brushing the stems to bring it out, health... I use a 30x jewelers loop to gander at the little pods soon as they start to stack like males do to check them for trich's.. stem size also.. stay away from them weak stemmed males.

Shamus

Shamus

Idk. Lol. Not sure why I'm even giving any input here.. Just growing my 2nd cross now..

I think that's really up to the goal you want for the end product of the hybrid.

If your trying to help structure go for structure.. And so on

Funtcas3

Funtcas3

i kinda want everybody to chime in. ive grown many varities but ive never been one to keep males for any type of breeding. but ive been curious many times, especially with the keepers i smoke. the what if always keeps me asking myself lol.

fractal

fractal

Yea if you are serious about breeding you are going to have to grow out the seeds of your cross to find out if the male contributes good traits. Most people cross one un-tested male to a keeper plant. That is not breeding it is pollen chucking.

Obviously it will be impossible to do so indoors if you don't have at least 4 lights with 1 in its own grow tent or environment to grow out your seeds.

All in all look for structure, branching, large flowers, overall vigor, trichomes and smell. All the traits you want from a female are what you want from the males.

H

happy b

There's a thread on dj shorts method for selecting males I think . I think it was logic or kid twist who posted it . I don't know how to post links and i can't remember the title . pretty fucking useless I know.

H

happy b

Proper breeding takes a lot of time ,effort,grow space/equipment and a fairly large volume of seeds . but I assume your just wondering how to pick a good male for some chucking before flowering it out?when I'm selecting males for a bit of chucking before the males have been flowered it's about desired structure/size,leaf shap,vigor ,if they giv off any kind of smell from them when not touched or smell from stem rub . Stem strength,are they nice n hard or flimsy. If theyv been stressed out somehow,which male handled it best.These are some of the things I judge a male on one way or they other . I also cull out any males that throw pollen or grow balls while in veg,even if it's just a little bit . that's just my method iv evolved to use over the years of reading up on breeding . I'm not saying it's the best method in anyway or even that it's right at all . It's just how I select the males I'm going to put in flower . But being put in flower isn't a guarantee I'm going to use it . iv selected males that i thought looked good only to be a real low yielder in the sac department . obviously males that have trichome coverage when flowered or even in veg are worthy of a look.

fractal

fractal

You know, when it comes down to the wire it is better to have a keeper female X untested male of good pedigree than nothing at all.

I did some pollen chucking with blockhead in 2009 and the resulting seeds made from two males pollinating one very desirable female plant gave rise to a couple awesome phenos. It was noticeable that the F2's were lacking the hybrid vigor of the F1 originals growing side by side but in fact my 2nd favorite plant is an F2 that leans strongly toward the blueberry side of the blockhead.

Just saying. . . If you MUST keep a strain alive in one form or another. . . use what you have

Wavegem

Wavegem

Well from my experience males can pass on structure as well as flower time. It is def an experiment trial and error, finding the perfect stud.
I choose based on 2 things Structure and Smell. Genetics range from A to Z so a basic understanding of what your working with and what your trying to accomplish is a must. My 3rd wicked male in testing

H

happy b

Well from my experience males can pass on structure as well as flower time. It is def an experiment trial and error, finding the perfect stud.
I choose based on 2 things Structure and Smell. Genetics range from A to Z so a basic understanding of what your working with and what your trying to accomplish is a must. My 3rd wicked male in testing
View attachment 486391
He is a monster Wavegem . is that the wicked male you used in the wifi x sl cross?

symbiote420

symbiote420

Very good points @fractal and @Wavegem. I will use an F1 male from time to time but my preference is using an F2..... or higher F3, F4, etc. but I prefer finding males within the F2 gen because of the way the genes have combined to produce offspring carrying dominant traits AA, BB all the way down to the recessive ones aa, bb! Going thru F2s I've always found gold whether males or females. I do sort of a mix of what both you guys have stated, I 1st look closely at the mom(s) and decide what I'd like to add to or improve upon, then I use smell and structure.... if the male exhibits a certain trait e.g. PM, disease, or mite resistance, big yields, excessive trichs, etc., when I find one of those I'll roll the dice most of the time and use it! I've been working some of my crosses to F2 for the purpose of finding my very own males to use in future projects!

Wavegem

Wavegem

Very good points @fractal and @Wavegem. I will use an F1 male from time to time but my preference is using an F2..... or higher F3, F4, etc. but I prefer finding males within the F2 gen because of the way the genes have combined to produce offspring carrying dominant traits AA, BB all the way down to the recessive ones aa, bb! Going thru F2s I've always found gold whether males or females. I do sort of a mix of what both you guys have stated, I 1st look closely at the mom(s) and decide what I'd like to add to or improve upon, then I use smell and structure.... if the male exhibits a certain trait e.g. PM, disease, or mite resistance, big yields, excessive trichs, etc., when I find one of those I'll roll the dice most of the time and use it! I've been working some of my crosses to F2 for the purpose of finding my very own males to use in future projects!

Great advice with the f2 I will experiment. As all I have been popping are f1

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Nice thread. I just selected a sour bubble male out of 8 males total ,for some pollen chucking.
I'm going to let him hit my females and see what I get.
I chose him based on tackyness of leaves, structure, vigor, and stem rub, and early trich production.

shemshemet

shemshemet

Progeny progeny progeny....only way to really know.

Male plant 'stud' looks perfect. Grows short and compact. Flowers way quicker than the rest. Smells INCREDIBLE. Resin production...like this!?!? on a male!?!

Yet, 'stud' may not breed true for ANY of these traits.
So...progeny is your friend.

Males are only part of it. It is easier to find traits that breed true on a female first (by selfing).

And THEN find your male.

Find the traits you want in the male, and cross to the female you KNOW breeds true for those traits. When looking through the progeny you can find if the male also breeds true.

When you find the true breeding plant, NOW you have a real 'stud'

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Males are only part of it. It is easier to find traits that breed true on a female first (by selfing).

Do selfed plants only express traits that they breed true for, or do they simply express these traits more regularly?

shemshemet

shemshemet

Hmmm hard to phrase this...

Selfed plants will express both traits they breed true for, and traits they do not breed true for.

Lets do an example with a White Widow clone, given to you by a friend:

You're white widow girl has 3 traits you love. Great growth structure, tons of resin glands, and earthy herbal smell.

When you self her, you will see that ALL the plants have the earthy herbal smell, and growth structure. But some have less resin than the original plant.

This means that the widow clone you have breeds true only for the earthy herbal smell, and the growth structure. But not the resin content.

It can get much more complicated, but that is the basis of my statements. You can FIND the true breeding traits by selfing, you can MAKE the true breeding traits. Most of the time the S1 generation will not be used for further breeding, they are only grown out to see if the plant in question is true breeding.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

To roughly quote something I read a long time ago: "The value of a male is determined by his daughters [offspring]." They say 1 true stud is worth 10 keeper females. You have to grow-out the progeny.

I think your best bet is to pick a male with the traits that you are selecting for, but like shemshemet stated, your gonna be rollin the dice a bit when starting from scratch. Keep detailed notes and friends who you can trust and rely on to give you competent feedback on their observations and possibly some genetics back, as well :)

Last edited:
montanamike1

montanamike1

Not to call BS on anyone here, but do male plants actually produce trichomes? I only ask because I recently flowered out a male, and saw nothing but pollen... No smell but chlorophyll either for that matter... Anyone have some pics of trich heads on male plants so I know what to look for?

Top Bottom