• Peat

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Coco

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I dont know man, I've grown in all those different media, coco, peat and rockwool and really I find Peat about on par with coco in terms of overall water usage as long as appropriately sized pots are used with dialed in feeding and minimal runoff.

Compared to rockwool I'd say both use (Im guessing) 30% or so more water. So if conservation of water is the goal, rockwool is the solution. But if conservation of Bogs and non renewable resources is the goal, coco is a good way to go.

If plant flavour and ease of growth is the goal despite the environmental impact, Peat is a great choice.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Home and commercial growers that are connected to the cities system. Water plants have to process that water. Generally powered by fossil fuels.

I see. Good point. Most dont worry about that. We pay for it with a water bill. But I agree with you.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I dont know man, I've grown in all those different media, coco, peat and rockwool and really I find Peat about on par with coco in terms of overall water usage as long as appropriately sized pots are used with dialed in feeding and minimal runoff.

Compared to rockwool I'd say both use (Im guessing) 30% or so more water. So if conservation of water is the goal, rockwool is the solution. But if conservation of Bogs and non renewable resources is the goal, coco is a good way to go.

If plant flavour and ease of growth is the goal despite the environmental impact, Peat is a great choice.

You are on a roll today with excellent, informative and accurate posts. Flavour and i believe maybe potency or complexity and ease are why I use peat mixes.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

When growers say soil they usually mean a peat mix.
that is correct even ocean forest has it,all my containers outdoors are paet base and i re amend and use continues,i re amend it about every other year unless i have issues,i also have designated soil mix for my potato also peat ,if you are buying bag soil you get one or the other or both and then most even have sawdust

bunkerking

bunkerking

I've been rolling with a re-amended peat based mix since I've started harvesting. Just rinse hard with hot water and add more ewc, rock dust, IPM's (treat for existing bugs obvs), and nutrient blend (kelp/alfalfa/chitin).

Good point. Coco has/should be rebuffered. After you use it. Not a huge issue, but filtering out the coco peat(fine powder).... sucks.
I try to reuse as much as i can... but some days id rather just buy a new bag lol. Toss the used stuff into my outdoor garden mix.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Home and commercial growers that are connected to the cities system. Water plants have to process that water. Generally powered by fossil fuels.
you forget to mention in that same water system many other thing go in there also,with my septic,i know exactually what goes in and i have it emptied every 2 years just because im on certain meds for the heart that kill the bacteria in the system,im like med there is no waste in a septic system,you abuse it it cost you out of pocket several thousands of dollors,you just cant repair a sewage break anymore,you have to replace the whole system.
with that also said that runoff can be used in the veggie garden that you feed your inside medicine

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

that is correct even ocean forest has it,all my containers outdoors are paet base and i re amend and use continues,i re amend it about every other year unless i have issues,i also have designated soil mix for my potato also peat ,if you are buying bag soil you get one or the other or both and then most even have sawdust

Wanna share some amendment secrets? I know you do KNF-style so I'm always curious.

bunkerking

bunkerking

you forget to mention in that same water system many other thing go in there also,with my septic,i know exactually what goes in and i have it emptied every 2 years just because im on certain meds for the heart that kill the bacteria in the system,im like med there is no waste in a septic system,you abuse it it cost you out of pocket several thousands of dollors,you just cant repair a sewage break anymore,you have to replace the whole system.
with that also said that runoff can be used in the veggie garden that you feed your inside medicine

I got a ok system down.

run off to flowers.
gray water to normal plants.

but during the winter time. Its too wet sometimes to feed outdoors. I dont have many windows facing the sun, so no indoor plants.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Good point. Coco has/should be rebuffered. After you use it. Not a huge issue, but filtering out the coco peat(fine powder).... sucks.
I try to reuse as much as i can... but some days id rather just buy a new bag lol. Toss the used stuff into my outdoor garden mix.
i use the peat to it turns to mush,just keep re amending it,usally about 3 summers i have to buy new peat,havent tried coco in the outdoor containers,working it indoors with medicine is a pain in the ass without a flood table,so that the real reason i havent tried it outdoor

bunkerking

bunkerking

outdoors i have a few pots with 100% coco. no problems there for about a year now. Just hate doing pure because they are always hungry. lol

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Thanks! Yeah, I'm lucky that I can just dunk the used buckets, roots and all, in rain water drums and leave them there for a bit, then come by, shake, pick them up, and let them dry. Amend based on how the dirt looks/feels. That way I don't have to buy nearly as much perlite too.

I've started experimenting with using the used coco dust in egg cartons for germing and it's done surprisingly well. 10/10 would recommend. Super glamorous style points too. 😆

Screenshot from 2019 12 17 16 59 35

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Wanna share some amendment secrets? I know you do KNF-style so I'm always curious.
just the basic amends friend,ive got my containers so screwed up right now i dont even no if im growing come spring,paid 50 bucks for a soil test from mid west labs,they sent me back some shit i cant even read,cant get hold for them to help,so doing another test and sending to texas am,they just up the hiway about 4 hours away,aggies always ready to help hahahah, mine are pretty much same as yours,the knf is great stuff and cheap,might just seem better cause you make it all,as far as amends i found it to be cheaper to buy fox farms new stuff,cant remember the name of it,has a bulldog on front of bag,potent ass shit loaded with guanos ewc and such,wear gloves messing with it,ask my wife hahahah,shitis potent and does hell of a job,i get all the way threw summer with it,azomite,baysalt,potash great amends to,kelp is grand if you got a grand to spend for it,then there is the compost i make with all these damn leaves,thats pretty much my amends ,fills jars of veggies every year for me

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I got a ok system down.

run off to flowers.
gray water to normal plants.

but during the winter time. Its too wet sometimes to feed outdoors. I dont have many windows facing the sun, so no indoor plants.
my winters are a couple weeks long,most times stays in 70's so i can get a little bit more outdoors,all i got going right now is carrots brocille and cauliflour,they dont mind cool weather i forgot onions also,but hell after i feed my tent i take that water and feed those plants each a little instead of just dumping it,i have no choice but to use peat,if i dont i dont grow,i live right on a rock as in right on a fault line,you can see the shift in plates on the side of my fence hahaha,all soil is made and peat is it

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

outdoors i have a few pots with 100% coco. no problems there for about a year now. Just hate doing pure because they are always hungry. lol
thats my problem i have 4 months of triple digits here,rain is that green water hose out there and im freaking lazy hahaah

bunkerking

bunkerking

my winters are a couple weeks long,most times stays in 70's so i can get a little bit more outdoors,all i got going right now is carrots brocille and cauliflour,they dont mind cool weather i forgot onions also,but hell after i feed my tent i take that water and feed those plants each a little instead of just dumping it,i have no choice but to use peat,if i dont i dont grow,i live right on a rock as in right on a fault line,you can see the shift in plates on the side of my fence hahaha,all soil is made and peat is it

PNW - always raining here. So i have to be super mindful of it going into the water table/rivers.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

PNW - always raining here. So i have to be super mindful of it going into the water table/rivers.
i hear that,drain tile deep is the ticket ,but who got cash like farmers ,i dont,the soil is a filter ,but when you dump posion into it ,still gonna make it way out,i always been curious if you could filter your runoff like the RO sytem works,i mean seems possible,sure might cost a few bucks,but has anyone ever tried? if you could filter it the same way ,you could still reuse the waste water in outdoor conditions if you dig,no clue how many filters it would take to do that but seems like you could,dont think for a minute some one out there has the key to taking ocean water and making drinking water from it,there just a cluase that keep that at bay,called GOVERMENT hahahah bastards know it could be done for pennies on the dollar cant make a dollar so dont allow it

Top Bottom