What Media is More Sustainable: Coco Vs Peat

• Peat

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Coco

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters
bunkerking

bunkerking

Same ^ id love to be able to just clean and reuse the water. that would be super ideal. cost effective? likely not for awhile, but hippies be hippies.

teejacks

teejacks

this is an interesting well informed thread. i recently watched a lengthy youtube video on the production differences of both products. me living in canada i believe that peat would be a more sustainable option for me. We have massive amounts of bogs still left in untouched wilderness. yes ofcourse this releases massive amounts of carbon. so i dont like it, i love the environment, but i think where you live is an important factor in what product is more sustainable.

the video raises questions about where coco is produced. mostly in india and now mexico, southern america. the biggest alert bell for me was that these countries barely have clean drinking water for their people, yet they will use it for months to clean the coco of chemicals. i dont think i could support stealing water from developing countries, when we have something in our backyard and plenty of water for now. soil mixes seem so much easier to grow in from what i see on here and my own experiences. if i switched to coco i would be fucked! my girls need to last 4 days no water. sustainability is going to become a massive word in the next couple years from all of this stuff going on..

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
this is an interesting well informed thread. i recently watched a lengthy youtube video on the production differences of both products. me living in canada i believe that peat would be a more sustainable option for me. We have massive amounts of bogs still left in untouched wilderness. yes ofcourse this releases massive amounts of carbon. so i dont like it, i love the environment, but i think where you live is an important factor in what product is more sustainable.

the video raises questions about where coco is produced. mostly in india and now mexico, southern america. the biggest alert bell for me was that these countries barely have clean drinking water for their people, yet they will use it for months to clean the coco of chemicals. i dont think i could support stealing water from developing countries, when we have something in our backyard and plenty of water for now. soil mixes seem so much easier to grow in from what i see on here and my own experiences. if i switched to coco i would be fucked! my girls need to last 4 days no water. sustainability is going to become a massive word in the next couple years from all of this stuff going on..

I think the problem, at least in Mexico is more to do with lack of water treatment than lack of water. Pretty much the entire Yucatan peninsula is a giant underground network of fresh water rivers and lakes.

Top Bottom