What pH meter do you use/like most?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Title says it all.

My tri-meter pH/ppm/water temp meter was off, and while dialing it the damned little screw broke, invalidating the warranty and all that happy shit. Considering changing, though new units are way, way better.

What do you use for pH testing?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I just use the $30 Milwaukee meters
Make sure to check them at least monthly

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I use and sell the tri-meter from FHD, about a year ago they made a longer pH probe so must better. Cheap meters are OK for ball park but you get what you pay for with meters. The cheap meters are about as accurate as a shot gun at 200 feet, don't get me wrong if all you got is 30$ Milwaukee is the best bet I have 3 or 4 sitting by stuff I check often. Most of the other meters are good if you buy a known brand. I have a Hanna PPM stick for portability and to check my tri-meters and love it as it's chimp proof. Never needs calibration and shuts off by it's self and floats. Has two buttons ON and Hold.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I just use the $30 Milwaukee meters
Make sure to check them at least monthly

every two weeks or if you bang it or if it just decides to move. I pay 15$ dealer cost for them that's why I use them, cheap and close enough.

OK so a few years ago I bought 3 Milwaukee pH meters they were yellow. So I try to calibrate them and it just could not be done, there was no way all 3 would read the same so I made some calls to the development center and got nowhere, so I did some home work and got the number for engineering and just kept dialing till I got someone who put me on to the right engineer. So I tell him we have a quality control issues with the meters and he tells me they are within tolerances for that model. What the fuck does that mean. Well as long as the are .9 they are fine, remember this is an economy meter. True story.

Some things are worth saving for.

Still have 2 of the original 3 working, tough as nails.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I have a hanna and have changed the probe on it a few times until someone gave me a tip about zip tying the cord in a loop to the probe....since then I have not had to mess with it.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Celtic... Why would that lock in probe pH, do you think? interesting tip...

Woodsman... can you link the tri meter you like? Not sure if it's the same brand I've used. Def curious about better alternatives to the one that just broke, it's replacement broke, and had to get yet another one.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Celtic... Why would that lock in probe pH, do you think? interesting tip....

It more prevents the probe from breaking, apparently the wires either break or come loose from the connection at that point. Here's a pic so you can see more of what I am talking about.
2013 10 15 17 25 04 787

urbanfog

urbanfog

I use a few cheapys, a 3x combo panel and drops ........I just make sure within a range.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

i use Bluelab meters. i have used all of their meters. its worth spending the $ on the combo or the guardian, only if its taken care of properly. Celtic has a great tip of zip tying the cord to the probe. unfortunately, pH probes only last for about 1 year, 1.5-2 if taken care of properly. which means cleaned and calibrated once a month and stored in a pH storage solution. the solution im using is made by bluelab and they stated its the same solution that is inside the actual probe, which is supposed to increase the longevity and accuracy of ur probe.

ive faught with Milwaukees, and the eco ph1's and 2's same fights, hard to return.

with bluelab, if anything goes wrong, they just swap them out if its still under warranty. i know they had some issues early this year especially with thier ph and ppm pens, but they were cool on replacing them. any customer that brought back a bad pen, would simply leave with a brand new one. i sent back all bad pens and recieved credit for all!
side note - they also have a soil ph meter now that you can simply detach ur normal ph probe and screw the soil ph probe and have a reading on the same monitor! havent tried, but sounds cool. damn i would make a good sales rep for these bastards.

Myco

Myco

BlueLab combo meter has my heart, and likely always will. I messed around with the cheap Milwaukie a while back... waste of money IMO.

side note - they also have a soil ph meter now that you can simply detach ur normal ph probe and screw the soil ph probe and have a reading on the same monitor! havent tried, but sounds cool. damn i would make a good sales rep for these bastards.
Sounds pretty slick, so you can buy the soil pH probe seperately and just screw it into an existing regular standard combo meter?

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

That's correct
BlueLab combo meter has my heart, and likely always will. I messed around with the cheap Milwaukie a while back... waste of money IMO.

Sounds pretty slick, so you can buy the soil pH probe seperately and just screw it into an existing regular standard combo meter?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

This is an excellent thread. I'm very curious about the alternatives.

As an aquarium hobbyist, this is extra important to me.

Faulty equipment is totally forgivable, provided the company owns it.
My buddy's Pax vape pen died after he loaned it to me for Coachella. Ploom (the maker) replaced the charger base. When that didn't work, they replaced the pen.
Would only ever consider their brand if I buy a vape pen now.

Cort

Cort

th

killed 2 of these $100 bluelabs in the time it took me to drop 1 milwakee cheapo. Everyone says I got a one in a hundred milwakee pen. I am a forgetful soul, and leave the cap off overnight sometimes.

Loved the bluelab. I wonder how long it would last if I took care of it.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

What kills me about blue lab is the replacement probe costs just about as much as the pen

And you can buy 3 Milwaukee's for the price of a new probe

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Celtic... Why would that lock in probe pH, do you think? interesting tip...

Woodsman... can you link the tri meter you like? Not sure if it's the same brand I've used. Def curious about better alternatives to the one that just broke, it's replacement broke, and had to get yet another one.

here you go. Replacement pH probe is 65$

Mt cmb tri lg

ttystikk

ttystikk

For those who talk about how tough their instrument is- do you beat your girlfriend that hard? It's not a stick- take care of it.

Being confident in your feelings is worth whatever it costs. $300 for Bluelab instruments is eminently affordable for real tools, as opposed to toys.

Replacement pH pen for Bluelab instruments is about $60, shouldn't need to do it more than yearly if you take care of it.

Top Bottom