What ph to use with gaia green

• Thread starter ilfabr0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
The mycorrhizae have nothing to do with controlling PH and a PH that's off too much will kill them. The PH is buffered by minerals like dolomite.
Agree, the fungal generally are there to expand the roots footprint and help the uptake of nutrients. Its the roots themselves that leech out exudates that will change the pH (within their vicinity) to help breakdown what they need. You do want , and it's recommended to keep your soils pH within the 6-7 range.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Epsom and gypsum do not effect PH in any way. This is completely false.The Epsom will only slightly help with PH fluctuating but is not a buffer. Dolomite and oyster shell are PH buffers.
Agree, it's the Dolomite Limestone that will buffer your soil up to 7pH. Great for peat based soil that generally drops in pH as it breaks down

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Lmfoa where do come up with that

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch Lol bud thats funny just what the doctor ordered 🙂
Thanks...lol, I'm as goofy as they come but I have my moments..😂

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Epsom and gypsum do not effect PH in any way. This is completely false. The Epsom will only slightly help with PH fluctuating but is not a buffer. Dolomite and oyster shell are PH buffers.
Okay. You're right. I goofed on the Epsom salt and gypsum. They're neutral. I must've been thinking of something else.

Lime and dolomite lime, however, are alkaline and will raise the soil's pH level. So, not a buffer. A buffer is a substance that prevents or limits pH changes when an acid or base is added to it. Lime does not do that. Lime raises pH level.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Okay. You're right. I goofed on the Epsom salt and gypsum. They're neutral. I must've been thinking of something else.

Lime and dolomite lime, however, are alkaline and will raise the soil's pH level. So, not a buffer. A buffer is a substance that prevents or limits pH changes when an acid or base is added to it. Lime does not do that. Lime raises pH level.
Edited:

Last edited:
M

MellowRello

wrong again. Lime and dolomite lime are the same thing in this context and dolomite is **THE PRIMARY**, most commonly used buffer for soil. It has a PH of 7 so yea, way too much of will make PH a little high but no higher than 7. Read more before throwing around bad advice.

M

MellowRello

dolomite is what buffers the PH in soil, without it soil would be acidic, it also lowers PH too. It is stable at 7ph but in the correct amounts will hold between 6 and 7.

M

MellowRello

I use Gaia Green in soil and that usually doesn't require pH adjustment. So, I'm not sure about coco, but from what I've read the pH should be about 6.0 to 6.2. I'm sure others here will be more helpful.

It seems odd to pre-amend a medium with a bloom nutrient. Maybe that's due to insufficient P or K.
Gaia green has two blends. The all purpose is 444, the "power bloom"is 284. It works a lot better as a soil builder at 70/30 blend of those two. Which is slightly more P than N and cannabis loves it big time all the way through from mid veg to week 4 of 12/12.

M

MellowRello

pH always matters. I don't use Gaia Green but I don't use synthetics either and pH always matters in soil and I would assume even more so in coco. You may get lucky and your water may be fine. If not, you'll quickly find out just how wrong the "you don't need to pH in a buffered medium" crowd is.
If the soil is properly buffered the PH of the water will have very little effect, unless it's extremely off the mark and even then will still not hold a high or low PH for long.

Top Bottom