What to tell electrician to install 240v

• Thread starter kamdavs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kamdavs

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion on what to tell a electrician why I would like to put in a 40 amp breaker with #6 wiring (to power 6 1000w lights) for a grow house. The house already has central air and a washer and dryer, so I need another excuse.

What would be a good device/appliance that would need this type of power?

OttomanFarmer

OttomanFarmer

The only thing that comes in my mind is a Server Farm...
Tell them u gonna make some online business and therefor you need some servers running 24/7...

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Couldn't you tell them it's for growing indoor orchids or something? Indoor bonsai trees?Maybe a large aquarium? lol to charge a "smart car". Hell what do you need to tell him for anyways right? Good luck. Actually I just thought of this, my buddies place has a garage "workshop", his brother had a small local skateboard making business. He needed some serious hook ups for the machinery. Also they had an RV that they plugged in for some reason.

Cheers,
Crom

S

stifler

Just say its for either a car charging station or a workshop which requires higher voltage. or just move to the UK where its all 240v 3 pin plug inc earth to appliance. 240v is a much more efficent frequency

hiboy

hiboy

Tanning bed requiring a 50 amp 240v 4 wire outlet. Installed with #6 wire.
You will be removing the outlet yourself and installing a sub panel.
h

K

kamdavs

I will be using an upstairs bedroom, so many of those excuses will not work. I can say it will be a work shop. The tanning bed is a great idea, I think that would work out good.

I was thinking about just saying that I was moving the washer and dryer upstairs, and then I could use the dryer outlet (CAP sells a plug to use from your dryer plug to your light box), but then I wouldn't be able to use my dryer. The tanning bed, which is funny considering I never tan, is pretty good.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Craft room and your wife is getting a kiln.

hiboy

hiboy

Dryer outlets are only 30 amp 3 wire so you would have to ask for a dryer outlet beyond the normal situation.
Make sure you get the specs i stated previously. You will need them for correct installaton. Tan beds the way to go amigo
h

S

ScrOGer

Why do need to lie at all? Just tell him, if he asks, you coordinating the job for the homeowner (which is you). All you know is that you need x, y & z as far as electrical work is concerned. it is none of his business anyway, by the way.

imho if someone is asking questions you do not want to answer, don't. it's none of their business. there are plenty of skilled contractors out there with great rates. They just want to work and earn a living.

but the kiln is killer excuse.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

My girlfriend and I are moving into a 4bdrm house with no basement. She is a web hosting/development/design consultant. She had the idea of saying that we need 240v for her multiple servers. Big web hosting servers would be a good excuse for getting the mini split installed in Seattle in September too.

B

b.ver

Craft room and your wife is getting a kiln.

I work with glass and can confirm that larger kilns especially will draw on 240v.

Alternatively, you can say you're setting up a glass hotshop (glory hole, active kiln, etc, HUGE electrical draw) and that would potentially also cover a red-flag in terms of your electrical spike if that is a concern?

Cheers!

G

globe_toker

If it's in the garage you can say its for an electric welder. Inside the house, the tanning bed idea is very good but s/he wont ask unless they are nosy pricks.

S

Seed Buyer

Why not just throw in the breaker and run the wire yourself? Its is easy to do. I could walk you through it or you could get a basic electrical book from your local library.

J

JimmyNeutron

I have gone with the tanning bed option and it works like a charm. Lots of people are getting them I guess so its not that uncommon. You could also say that you are changing the top floor into an apartment to rent out and are going to be turning that room into a kitchen/utility room.

JN

F

FruitOfTheLabor

running wire is very simple.. buttttt running it the way an electrician would is harder. lol ive seen people jimmy rig it an run wire threw the ceiling or wat not. but tto drill threw beams and make a straight line threw makes me wana hire a pro..

T

the journeyman

I would have to agree welding is a prime choice. You need a ton of juice for that

Top Bottom