What would you recommend for a heat sink for meanwell driver?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the123321

the123321

I am new to growing. I am looking at the 32x32 tent with the 240w kingbrite quantum board with the ac infinity 6" fan with filter with 2-4 auto plants in coco coir in 3 gallon fabric pots for it. I am looking at mounting the driver outside the tent on a shelf that is on top of the tent for it. The shelf is like a rubber or plastic wire type shelf on there for it.

What would you recommend that I mount the meanwell driver to? I originally was thinking a wooden board then I read that metal would likely be the better thing to use. Would a small aluminum baking sheet pan work for it? It is a little bigger than the driver. It looks like the pan may be non stick for it. Would that be a problem if I use it? I looked on amazon for a heat sink for it but I am having trouble finding a heat sink on there for it.

Dan789

Dan789

Check out my light, which is has three meanwell drivers and twelve cob inside a 4x4 tent, it’s all inside the tent... 600 watt draw. Never a good idea to use a material that will burn, combined with something that heats up. Maybe someone who has some quantum board setups will chime in.

C3C4F5B6 5474 4419 95FD FEB610B9B72B
the123321

the123321

Thanks. That looks like a very organized tent. I am looking at putting the driver outside the tent due to the tent only being a little over 5 feet tall and that gives a few inches more room in the top of the tent and to help with heat from the meanwell quantum driver in the tent on there for it.

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Please kindly check, the driver is removable, you can let it out off the tent in Summer
SP250

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have my drivers mounted on a shelf with a rubber mat under them.
It is the type matting used in a livestock pen.

You really don't need a heatsink for the driver as they don't get all that hot. Mount them similar to how SkunkyDunk suggested. A rubber mat between a piece of wood or simply placed on the rubber mat on a wooden shelf should be sufficient.

the123321

the123321

Thanks. Do you think it would work to put it in a disposable aluminum turkey pan then zip tie the pan to the shelf on there for it?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks. Do you think it would work to put it in a disposable aluminum turkey pan then zip tie the pan to the shelf on there for it?

I am far less concerned about heat as I am mounting it directly on a conductive surface. If something shorts to the case of the driver (not likely but who is to say impossible) then the pan is electrified too. If you touch it, ZAP!

Dan789

Dan789

I am far less concerned about heat as I am mounting it directly on a conductive surface. If something shorts to the case of the driver (not likely but who is to say impossible) then the pan is electrified too. If you touch it, ZAP!
That’s why all metal parts that connect to lights should be bonded, electrically, through the green screw in the electrical connection.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks. I may look to find out if it needs it on there for it.
Grounding a circuit doesn't prevent electrical shock. It reduces the amount of energy that you would absorb if you are shocked to a level that is not lethal. Common misconception that grounded circuits are shock-proof. Not so, its harm reduction.

Dan789

Dan789

Thanks. I may look to find out if it needs it on there for it.
That’s exactly the reason @MIGrampaUSA mentioned above getting “Zapped”, if all the metal is bonded to the green screw, and connected to the ground wire coming in on the feed, that’s what your shooting for. Of course if the circuit is protected by a GFI, like it should be around any water, in the garage, or outside, you’d also have some protection.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That’s exactly the reason @MIGrampaUSA mentioned above getting “Zapped”, if all the metal is bonded to the green screw, and connected to the ground wire coming in on the feed, that’s what your shooting for. Of course if the circuit is protected by a GFI, like it should be around any water, in the garage, or outside, you’d also have some protection.
The GFI is the best route to go for best protection.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I am new to growing. I am looking at the 32x32 tent with the 240w kingbrite quantum board with the ac infinity 6" fan with filter with 2-4 auto plants in coco coir in 3 gallon fabric pots for it. I am looking at mounting the driver outside the tent on a shelf that is on top of the tent for it. The shelf is like a rubber or plastic wire type shelf on there for it.

What would you recommend that I mount the meanwell driver to? I originally was thinking a wooden board then I read that metal would likely be the better thing to use. Would a small aluminum baking sheet pan work for it? It is a little bigger than the driver. It looks like the pan may be non stick for it. Would that be a problem if I use it? I looked on amazon for a heat sink for it but I am having trouble finding a heat sink on there for it.

See my above post. Also keeping drivers outside of tent off ground on wall , reduces heat in temp, reduces risk of fire (imo) and reduces risk of damage as it’s mounted up out of the way. Unistrut is cheap and available at all sorts of Home Depot type stores or online.

Latest posts

Top Bottom