What Would Your Dream Hydro Shop Carry?

• Thread starter ArtofHydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArtofHydro

ArtofHydro

I would so kindly like to ask all of the great farmers on this site, to recommend some of the best things to stock on my shelves - hydro store duh! I would really like to have a "high profile" shelf full of products that tend to be uncommon. Now im not interested in and nute lines, for i dont have the brain capacity to read anymore threads of people arguing nutes! I just want good additives, root innoculants, soil amendments, maybe some pest control products, etc..
No arguements/debates, just would like personal input! always love hearing about new products, for i love researching!

Thanks farm!
Art

sky high

sky high

From walking the same path....

lemme give you some advice: Always remember that what interests you may not interest others.

Keep in mind that "uncommon" products may/may not sell. It's also very hard to get folks to switch from what they know. This includes coming into a new store and trying uncommon products.
Focus on what will sell first. I know that isn't much fun, but it's a tough business and having 10 uncommon products on the shelf will do little to get your name out there if you don't have the ONE common product folks came in for. It's truly tough to figure out what to stock...and sure as you think you have it dicked folks will come in asking for something you don't have. then..you buy that product....and nobody comes in to buy it. yikes.

A few ideas. Some of these may not be practical...dunno what yer set up is/locale is/capacity for butt-busting work is/time constraints are...etc. or what products are going for these days too discern profit margins.....but maybe it will foster thought:

Bulk soils- brought in by the truckload.....sold back out by the pound. Folks could custom mix
Bulk amendments- Possibly rebagged/branded as your "Store line" -
ACT brew kits....also branded through your store
I made 11 site cloners from 5 gal buckets while trying to pass time in the store and sold more of them than EZ-cloners/etc. with a better profit margin.

again though..... keep costs in mind. How much cash will you be out if you can't sell the item? And...keep that "just because <I> think it's cool...will it really sell? This is key!

green punk

green punk

Stay away from hyped trends... HG Roots Excelurator , Sure to Grow off the top off my head. Like Sky said, soil amendments. Get some bulk bins sell by the pound. Have some good base soil ingredients/recipes (coco, peat, perlite, worm castings, pumice, compost, humus for custys to use. Similar to a brew store, walk in and say I want Mirror Pond, they will have it almost prepacked for you. Get a vortex brewer. Brew batches. Give away a gallon of concentrate, then $5 for next. to name a few

Watch out for specials from distributors.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Vortex brewer would be dope! Especially displayed with ingredients for different brews.

K

kushtrees

Bioag fulpower and some of there other dry products. They have very good humic and fulvic acid products and I rarely see em in stores

ArtofHydro

ArtofHydro

Thanks farmers for all of the suggestions! Nothing but great replies, hope to keep them coming.
Here is a little update I added to the shop front based on some of your replies. I appreciate everything!

2013 02 12 18 46 49 775
2013 02 12 18 47 48 694
2013 01 06 12 02 59 401
2013 02 12 18 47 37 340

P.S. Caps Packs (aka OGBiowar) will be here next week!

get with Cap, maybe u can stock his bennies
Should be here this week!

From walking the same path....

lemme give you some advice: Always remember that what interests you may not interest others.

Keep in mind that "uncommon" products may/may not sell. It's also very hard to get folks to switch from what they know. This includes coming into a new store and trying uncommon products.
Focus on what will sell first. I know that isn't much fun, but it's a tough business and having 10 uncommon products on the shelf will do little to get your name out there if you don't have the ONE common product folks came in for. It's truly tough to figure out what to stock...and sure as you think you have it dicked folks will come in asking for something you don't have. then..you buy that product....and nobody comes in to buy it. yikes.

A few ideas. Some of these may not be practical...dunno what yer set up is/locale is/capacity for butt-busting work is/time constraints are...etc. or what products are going for these days too discern profit margins.....but maybe it will foster thought:

Bulk soils- brought in by the truckload.....sold back out by the pound. Folks could custom mix
Bulk amendments- Possibly rebagged/branded as your "Store line" -
ACT brew kits....also branded through your store
I made 11 site cloners from 5 gal buckets while trying to pass time in the store and sold more of them than EZ-cloners/etc. with a better profit margin.

again though..... keep costs in mind. How much cash will you be out if you can't sell the item? And...keep that "just because <I> think it's cool...will it really sell? This is key!

Thanks for the input! I couldnt agree more, stocked up on soils and amendments, even added a super soil display with different recipes (including subcools). Loving the idea of the ACT Brew kits. I got ahold of Xtreme Nutrients and found out they teamed up with Titan Controls to make a Tea Brewer, so i picked up one as a display (I like to support the indoor gardening economy, so as far as building my own brewer and selling those, i felt it would be more beneficial to our little network to represent good industry companies)

Stay away from hyped trends... HG Roots Excelurator , Sure to Grow off the top off my head. Like Sky said, soil amendments. Get some bulk bins sell by the pound. Have some good base soil ingredients/recipes (coco, peat, perlite, worm castings, pumice, compost, humus for custys to use. Similar to a brew store, walk in and say I want Mirror Pond, they will have it almost prepacked for you. Get a vortex brewer. Brew batches. Give away a gallon of concentrate, then $5 for next. to name a few

Watch out for specials from distributors.

Thanks for the advice, deffinatley stocked the soil amendments! Still looking for some diatomaceous earth to carry. As far as the vortex brewer, I have built one at my place for personal use. I have a brewer from Xtreme Gardening/Titan Controls for reasons i stated above. (Love the idea, for my vortex brewer is amazing. maybe i will do a store front one once the ACT tea trend catches on in my area)

Vortex brewer would be dope! Especially displayed with ingredients for different brews.

Thanks for your input, as far as the brewer i stated that above^^^

Bioag fulpower and some of there other dry products. They have very good humic and fulvic acid products and I rarely see em in stores

Im a big fan of Bioag and fulpower. I have always had those products on hand! Great advice, i feel these products are a must have!

Sea Green
Banana Manna
Sorry But Roots E works, plain and simple.
Caps bennies or the like.
Earth Kelp
Earth Syrup

Just a few I have that are tried and true.

Great call on Sea Green! I currently carry it, but moving on to carry their products True Blooms and Rootamentary. Caps bennies should be here soon. Roots E works real well and i carry H&G's full line. will get the Earth Kelp, but have the syrup. Will look into Banna Manna as well, never used it but looks real interesting! Thanks again for your input

Thanks again farmers!
Art

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Banana Manna is a lesser known product, but those who use it swear by it. I really like the new roots uprising powdered mix and have moved to using that almost exclusively.

outwest

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Great advice from sky high!!

If I owned a hydro shop, I would try to keep additives to go with whatever base nutes I have. And keep profit margin in mind.

Only thing I can thin of off the top of my head would be Snow Storm Ultra from Humboldt's Own, that shit works great IMO and there really isn't a base to go with it, just Purple Maxx and Crystal Burst, but I've never tried those. Good luck.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Trompf Blumat (NOT Blumat Jrs.) waterers, without a doubt. Easily the single best thing I've done for my garden in yeeeears.

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

You gotta jump on Aptus, New Millenium & Plagron. Aptus & Plagron are HUGE in Europe and they're just making a push in the states. New Millenium is out of CO and they're really blowing up. Our good friend owns a few stores and he's really doing well with these lines. We are rocking Aptus & NM now check my journal. I can get you in touch with our buddy and depending on what state you're in he might be able to help you or refer you to someone who can.

As a store owner you need to have unique products THAT WORK and have good margins in them. I don't know about you but where we come from the competition is fierce. You have to have something to set you apart and that you can make good coin on.. In any industry for that matter.. If not, you're a slave to NGW & HF fighting it out for 5% mark up.

Feel me?

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

sell act tea from your store display vortex brewer.:D

There is insufficient evidence that ACT and vortex brewers are more effective than a simple top dressing. imho they are a waste of time and money.

Billyboat

Billyboat

I wish more hydro stores would carry the low tide flood trays instead of the standard ones. The low tides are almost half the price and still serve the same purpose.

Hurricane Fans over the Can Fan brand. Cheaper and same quality.

CabinetGrow grow boxes are super sick!

Top Bottom