Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
how long you been running that cap?

yo pauly would you mind or if you even can edit the poll to more options like near the 1k-3k range, interested to see how many others have higher bills and for how long?

ill let you in on a lil secret :surprised

about a year

skywalkerOG

skywalkerOG

tooo damn much. going solar in just a few months, in the planning stages now. my goal is to have enough stored for my house and garden.

Reactions: mal
Chobble

Chobble

.35 cents/kwh... Yep, I only run 1000 watts indoor thank god >.> The house also supports my entire family so the extra watts put us right in the top tier.

aldus

aldus

$0.07242 per kWh

Comes out to $26.07/month for 12/12 or double that for vegging

ttystikk

ttystikk

tooo damn much. going solar in just a few months, in the planning stages now. my goal is to have enough stored for my house and garden.

Great idea! I have a suggestion, however; instead of buying all the infrastructure to try to store your own power, have the power comapny put a two-way meter on your house. Then, when you generate more power than you're using, they take it. When you need more than you're generating- like at night- you buy it back. This has several advantages, among them the fact that now you don't need to buy or maintain storage, the utility becomes your 'perfect' battery, since you always get 100% back from what you sell them- with batteries you only get about 2/3 back- and it simplifies your power controller circuitry, making for a less expensive install all the way 'round.

Ultimately, you want to have enough geration capacity to roughly double your daytime power consumption. Then, you'll more than likely not quite buy back all the power at night, and your power bill will beome a credit. Kinda nice...

Every state has different rules and regulations on how you can sell your power to the utility and for how much. Keep in mind that with solar, you're doing the utility a huge favor because you're generating excess power at exactly the same time they're trying to cover their peak usage from all those air conditioners running in houses in the sun- often even while their occupants are away working!

B

Burned Haze

6k lights, 3 8inch inlines per room plus AC, around $900

Midwest

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Ha!

3.5 cents/kWh, bitches!

Go Big Oil! w00t w00t w00t :)
is that what electricity costs when your near a gas processing plant? like in corpus christi? Only trade off is your health and life expectancy. Not saying where I live is that much better, as it's on it's way towards a similarly dark path. I saw a documentary where everyone within a certain distance of the plant has a respirator and expected to die or have health complications around mid 40's.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I had a 8k room with vented hoods, central air and a big dehuey in the Midwest and my biggest bill was 700. I moved to Cali and the same setup costs 2500/mo.
Big difference.

sox

sox

i have around 4k TOTAL, that is both rooms....how the fuck is my bill $800 a month...i need to tell my chick to turn off the a/c

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Great idea! I have a suggestion, however; instead of buying all the infrastructure to try to store your own power, have the power comapny put a two-way meter on your house. Then, when you generate more power than you're using, they take it. When you need more than you're generating- like at night- you buy it back. This has several advantages, among them the fact that now you don't need to buy or maintain storage, the utility becomes your 'perfect' battery, since you always get 100% back from what you sell them- with batteries you only get about 2/3 back- and it simplifies your power controller circuitry, making for a less expensive install all the way 'round.

Ultimately, you want to have enough geration capacity to roughly double your daytime power consumption. Then, you'll more than likely not quite buy back all the power at night, and your power bill will beome a credit. Kinda nice...

Every state has different rules and regulations on how you can sell your power to the utility and for how much. Keep in mind that with solar, you're doing the utility a huge favor because you're generating excess power at exactly the same time they're trying to cover their peak usage from all those air conditioners running in houses in the sun- often even while their occupants are away working!

I work for one of the largest residential solar company in cali and i can tell u that I do agree with u about suggesting a "grid tied" system and in addition to the benifits u stated , the utility provider will also pay a portion of the cost of solar installation, but in almost all cases, to power a grow room isnot cost effective upfront yes in the long run but not upfront. If say solar cost me 30k after rebates to install and that would eliminate a 400$ bill( in cali edison more specifically), id much rather take that initial capital and invest it in to a bigger grow room and make 60,000 in 3-6 months, at that point who gives a fuck about a 400 or even a 4000 dollar utility bill. it usually takes 6-10 years to recoup ur initial investment with solar. that a lifetime in the growing game.

confu...

ttystikk

ttystikk

all the peeps that r moaning about their electric bill! Why not just buypass it. and not pay atall, free power :) its a win win situation, well unless mr electric comes out to check it, and catches u bang to rights! !lol"
just a thought, eh! ;) not what id do... just saying like haha..

There is the minor detail about it being stealing. I'm a farmer, not a criminal. Yes, there is a difference; it's called principle. I'm in this to help people feel better and to free a plant; I'm not just here to take whatever I can get from whoever lets their guard down for as long as they let me get away with it. The mindset is different.

I'm not preaching. Either you get this, or you don't.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

In my area its pretty windy and alot of folks use wind turbines made by a company in oklahoma called bergey () grid tied and about 30-40 grand installed,alot of farmers use them all over the country in rural areas.Just curious confuten is that comparable to 10k of solar costwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
In my area its pretty windy and alot of folks use wind turbines made by a company in oklahoma called bergey () grid tied and about 30-40 grand installed,alot of farmers use them all over the country in rural areas.Just curious confuten is that comparable to 10k of solar costwise?

Before i answer that i have a question. With solar a 10kw system produces about 80 kwh per day( 10kwh*8 hours a day of sunlight. When u say a 10kw wind turbine , aprox how many kwh are produced a day as a rough avgerage? If it is about the same (aprox 80kwh a day ) than that would be twice as cost effective as solar. 10kw solar costs about 60k after rebates. Bare in mind i speak based on our companies price point, we are not the cheapest cost per kw in the market but we do provide a 25 yr warranty on our system the systems that are as much as 30% less than our inital cost provide a 10-15 yr warranty, and good luck if that company will n around to service the warranty in 5 yrs!

Confu...

Last edited by a moderator:
ttystikk

ttystikk

Before i answer that i have a question. With solar a 10kw system produces about 80 kwh per day( 10kwh*8 hours a day of sunlight. When u say a 10kw wind turbine , aprox how many kwh are produced a day as a rough avgerage? If it is about the same (aprox 80kwh a day ) than that would be twice as cost effective as solar. 10kw solar costs about 60k after rebates. Bare in mind i speak based on our companies price point, we are not the cheapest cost per kw in the market but we do provide a 25 yr warranty on our system the systems that are as much as 30% less than our inital cost provide a 10-15 yr warranty, and good luck if that company will n around to service the warranty in 5 yrs!

Confu...

Sounds to me like you know your way around the solar industry. I looked into wind power in my local area and what I personally found was that wind isn't constant or strong enough to justify the turbines.

What I found was that I could use solar panels to offset peak grid daytime use and just reutilize at night from the grid when power is plentiful. If enough people did this, it would eliminate the need for a lot of big stinky coal fired power plants in this country!

Getting more local, I also found that the power company in my area didn't have a plan for me to buy and sell my power at real-time rates- to put it mildly, lol. On the other hand, if I wanted to offset a higher tier of usage, this is an ideal target for a solar setup. This way, you can often buy a smaller and cheaper system and it targets your most expensive power, thus shortening your payback time. You don't need a big solar array to do this, you just need to look at your bill carefully, and call your utility and ask around.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Yes it is less than half price of solar for same kw and they make power at night BUT you have to live in a windy area and have at least an acre or two to use them,just another option for a farmer.

Top Bottom