What You Guys Think Of Smartpots Indoor ?

• Thread starter Panchojr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
You could always veg completely in plastic then flower in a smart pot. I've always done that and have had great success. I also do the graduated potting system anyway so regardless all of my plants go through at least three plastic containers on the way to their last flowering smart pot. Only my two cents.

Once in flower and switched to hps my tent temp raises a few degrees making it between 84-87°.

Humidity is usually below 10%. And the pots being full of roots suck dry within 1-2 days right now. They transpire heavily. During flower It will reduce to 1 day as flowering progresses and roots finish growing.

If I switched to a smart pot I'd risk an overly dry condition. The time the plants need water varies so a 2 day window gives you wiggle room.

But 1 day waterings cut it close.
Sometimes they dry out at night while your asleep and lights are on.

Sometimes they dry out while your at work.

Sometimes morning

My point is that for me if I used a smartpot they would dry out too quickly.

I need to use plastic pots to lengthen the wet cycles and reduce the dry cycling.

Bajocassus

Bajocassus

I'm not against smart pots.
I think they have their uses.

But my main quirk is how I can't use the top of the pot for training the plant. I need a solid surface to tie off to that can resist the pressures holding the branches down.

The other thing is when using plastic pots. The soil pulls away from the edges about. 5" and stay there once soil is settled and shrunk. This leaves me a space where aeration occurs all around the rootball perimeter.

So using plastic pots I get the benefit of root zone aeration, enhanced drying cycles (2 days for my 10 gal plastic pot to dry from fully saturated).

Smart pots dry out too fast for my taste. I let my rootball fill my pots and they suck the soil dry.

If I added smart pots I would be endangering my plants by increasing soil drying rate. Which some days might create a drought situation while I'm not available (work, sleep, lights off) to fix.

So in short I use plastic pots to train & to decrease soil drying times.

I agree with some peeps here that smart pots can either help make things easier for an overwaterer.

Or makes things difficult for a person like me who fill their soil with roots and have warm environments with good air cycling and large light density. Which leads to already high transpiration rates and increased drying rate.

I think people need to do some research on the differences between the 2 pot styles and make an educated decision as to which suites their relative situation best.

Both pots work great. But are simply tools, tools that need to be used in the correct application. There is no simple right or wrong.

I found if you use safety pins with the fabric smart pots you can fashion a tie down ring around the edge of the pot. The pins are easy to move wherever you need them.

WonderDawg

WonderDawg

Humidity is usually below 10%. And the pots being full of roots suck dry within 1-2 days right now. They transpire heavily. During flower It will reduce to 1 day as flowering progresses and roots finish growing.

If I switched to a smart pot I'd risk an overly dry condition. The time the plants need water varies so a 2 day window gives you wiggle room.
Sounds like a perfect situation for flood and drain or setting a reservoir up on a timer. Could make your life easier, increase your humidity and yield. You could also increase the volume or density of your mix. More wet medium in the room will vastly increase your humidity. Especially if you are growing in a sealed environment.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Sounds like a perfect situation for flood and drain or setting a reservoir up on a timer. Could make your life easier, increase your humidity and yield. You could also increase the volume or density of your mix. More wet medium in the room will vastly increase your humidity. Especially if you are growing in a sealed environment.

There are definitely many options.

I have 0 qualms about my environment. I'm a believer In adaptation from birth to the environment they live in.

By the time veg Is over and flower comes around they are healthy as can be.

The temps & humidity give me no problems at all. I personally like higher temps and lower humidity.

The higher temps and low rh% get the roots to stretch in search of water. And develops a large enough root & vascular system to soak up the water necessary to support the plant in transpiration, cooling, nutrient transfer etc.

The fast wet & dry cycles promote vigorous growth from the availability of oxygen to the roots.

The low humidity helps develop trichomes in flower and prevents mold.

My tent is a 2x2 I have 1 plant in a 10 gallon pot. It is maxed out on pot & plant size. Didn't have any effect on rh%. Still dries out in 2 days.
Downloadfile

Downloadfile 1

She is a total of 64 days old (day 7 since flip).

I've engineered my tent the way it is.
I hope I didn't come off as complaining.

Rather I was just saying that with my environment plastic pots are ideal and smartpots are not .

I'm not ready to revamp my whole system just to use fabric pots.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
@rmoltis What's a guess for the harvest on that little beast? Looks awesome!

Thanks!

The haevest time will be that, just a guess.

The seeds are full of elite crosses by thunderfudge. But the strains were accidentally mixed together in seed form. So not knowing what each seed was he hooked me up with mix.

I'm gonna assume the flowering time is between 8-10weeks. And the beast has 7 days after flip as of today

So 7-9 weeks more.

It is the biggest plant I've ever grown. I'm trying to max out my space this round. See what I come up with.

WonderDawg

WonderDawg

I'm a believer In adaptation from birth to the environment they live in.
Unfortunately, modern cannabis genetics don't really work like that. If you create the proper environment first and foremost, you will ultimately be setting yourself up for success. Environment is literally 85% of cultivating indoor cannabis. If your environment is out of whack then the whole thing will be. I'm happy you've found a system that works well for you. Here are a few pics of how i use smart pots from my 100% sealed medical garden...

15258639 1305421899530162 2405406961089642496 n

#7 Gallon Smart pot

15535059 1868364430063272 3755166593533870080 n

Flowering room #1 (Above) All - Boss OG-

15337062 710200245823031 2753572162748022784 n

14566592 1838217456418694 3290374956566708224 n

Flowering Room #2 (Above) All -Wonder Dawg-

15876780 1801870096746281 6143925956441538560 n

Wonder Dawg (Williams Wonder x Chem Dawg 91') Bred and cultivated by me and available throughout the San Francisco ans San Jose dispensaries.

16110537 670887476423741 8547798102378020864 n

This is a picture of my 8'x8' Pheno hunting tent for testing out new Phenotypes of seed purchased and made in house. These are all in #3 Smart Pots.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Unfortunately, modern cannabis genetics don't really work like that. If you create the proper environment first and foremost, you will ultimately be setting yourself up for success. Environment is literally 85% of cultivating indoor cannabis. If your environment is out of whack then the whole thing will be. I'm happy you've found a system that works well for you. Here are a few pics of how i use smart pots from my 100% sealed medical garden...

View attachment 697902

#7 Gallon Smart pot

View attachment 697903

Flowering room #1 (Above) All - Boss OG-

View attachment 697904

View attachment 697905

Flowering Room #2 (Above) All -Wonder Dawg-

View attachment 697906

Wonder Dawg (Williams Wonder x Chem Dawg 91') Bred and cultivated by me and available throughout the San Francisco ans San Jose dispensaries.

View attachment 697907
This is a picture of my 8'x8' Pheno hunting tent for testing out new Phenotypes of seed purchased and made in house. These are all in #3 Smart Pots.

Nice plants buddy :-)

Sadly, setting up the environment is often one of the last things people do, preferring instead to hear of legends created by bottles.
Getting the environment just right is a tricky business for most people, tending to grow as and where they can, unlike ourselves who are lucky enough to have large custom and considered spaces to grow many plants for commercial purposes, they more often dont have the practical space, or the safe ability to deliver high levels of CO2, RH% and so on without risking structural damage or mold hazard in any a living space.

I have certainly seen plants change very quickly, adapting to differing levels of RH% specifically, as well as light and so on, this being from mother to 1st gen clone, or in fact by treatment with plant growth promoting bacteria and so on. Many of which have the added bonus of flattening the peak periods of energy and or adversity for those plants growing in less artificial conditions.
I think many of us with commercial growing operations, are forgetting that the majority of cultivation is and always will be underground, and self serving, ie that those with the odd plant, growing it for themselves in a spot they also live in themselves full time.
While I agree of course environment is not to be dismissed, esp when seeking what we might call a perfect plant, a bit of adversity helps to prevent potential genetic weakness being packed and sold as good stock.

Lots of interior produced plants simply dont have the ability to be grown wild without lots of attention, and this is a bad thing for anyone seeking stable genetics long term.

Ecompost

Ecompost

I have 0 qualms about my environment. I'm a believer In adaptation from birth to the environment they live in.

The temps & humidity give me no problems at all. I personally like higher temps and lower humidity.

The higher temps and low rh% get the roots to stretch in search of water. And develops a large enough root & vascular system to soak up the water necessary to support the plant in transpiration, cooling, nutrient transfer etc.

The fast wet & dry cycles promote vigorous growth from the availability of oxygen to the roots.

My tent is a 2x2 I have 1 plant in a 10 gallon pot. It is maxed out on pot & plant size. Didn't have any effect on rh%. Still dries out in 2 days.
View attachment 660824
View attachment 660825

Rather I was just saying that with my environment plastic pots are ideal and smartpots are not .

I am yet to eat a tomato, grown in hydroponics, that has ever tasted as good as a soil grown organic tomato. I have tasted good herbs, but never have i have a fruit that has tasted so good as organics in soil. :-)

Nice plant brother, this is good work, dont be swayed :-)

H

heisen

IMO i think people that are more prone to over water there plants will like airpots and smart pots better.Before i start a grow i always fully saturate my pots on a scale and write it down.Than i let them sit on the scale and write it down every day as i put my hands in there and feel how wet and dry it is.I record everything.This gives me a good idea of how often to water and to water evenly.a gallon of water weighs about 7 lbs.So if i add a gallon of water with 20 percent runoff its around 4.5 lbs i add to the pot.When the pot goes about 4 lbs light i know its time to water again.Once i do this for one pot than the rest are always about the same.
I hate airpots and smart pots cause they dry out so fast sometimes i was having to water every day and if i didnt water enough the plants would grow as good.I use regular ass pots with good drain holes in the bottom and thats it.

Ecompost

Ecompost

IMO i think people that are more prone to over water there plants will like airpots and smart pots better.Before i start a grow i always fully saturate my pots on a scale and write it down.Than i let them sit on the scale and write it down every day as i put my hands in there and feel how wet and dry it is.I record everything.This gives me a good idea of how often to water and to water evenly.a gallon of water weighs about 7 lbs.So if i add a gallon of water with 20 percent runoff its around 4.5 lbs i add to the pot.When the pot goes about 4 lbs light i know its time to water again.Once i do this for one pot than the rest are always about the same.
I hate airpots and smart pots cause they dry out so fast sometimes i was having to water every day and if i didnt water enough the plants would grow as good.I use regular ass pots with good drain holes in the bottom and thats it.
fair enough mate, i interact with my plants daily, so its no hassle if i need to water them, plus i live in a hot country where plastic tubs just dont work as well, or you have to have them so big its a nightmare in media cost.
I use also a bio wetting agent, simply because this alone reduces the amount I need to water, and ensures its more even across the whole space. I dont weigh pots but have in the past and this is a good method imo. Now i use hydrometers but its the same thing, just easier to use than lumping a pot on scales.
Also, i found using a mulch matt helps to reduce premature evaporation where one uses a fabric type pot for example. This also helping reduce nutrient leaching

P

Panchojr

View attachment 660824
View attachment 660825

Killing it

Top Bottom