What's the best technique to pollinate flowers?

• Thread starter SuperDanky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SuperDanky

The use of a Q-tip, paint brush, a fan, hand blown, or the wind. Which method do you prefer? Is there another technique I might have missed?

growsince79

growsince79

The use of a Q-tip, paint brush, a fan, hand blown, or the wind. Which method do you prefer? Is there another technique I might have missed?
Paint brush. Tie a string to branch with seeds.

Fruity.Guy

Fruity.Guy

I use my fingertip. I put my pollen in micro-centrifuge tubes (Which are small plastic tubes). When I open the lid, I cover the top of the tube with my finger, shake the tube. Then there is a small circle of pollen stuck on my fingertip which I use to pollenate with. Sometimes my fingertip is too dry to hold onto the pollen so I breathe at my fingertip at very close range and then there is enough dampness to hold the pollen. I learned this technique from someone who bred other types of plants. My mentor used to say "If you are going to have sex with your plants, do it with some skin contact!" I often laugh when doing pollinations, thinking about that quote.

Top Bottom