whats the ideal E.C to be at in early veg

• Thread starter Shayne010944
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shayne010944

Shayne010944

What sort of E.C should i be feeding plants growing in coco at 3 weeks old ?

i am currently doing 600ppm which reads 1.2 E.C on my truncheon stick

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

Also when should i top the plant . am going to try my first scrog . i have reduced to 6 plants

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

What sort of E.C should i be feeding plants growing in coco at 3 weeks old ?

i am currently doing 600ppm which reads 1.2 E.C on my truncheon stick
my veg is usuallly run around 1.4-1.6 ec. Starts at 1.4 and for the majority of veg is constant at 1.6. Im in rockwool but the nutrient strength would be similar I would guess. I would point you to the big ass thread called "HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS" for a huge discussion about coco.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Also when should i top the plant . am going to try my first scrog . i have reduced to 6 plants
I usually decide on this based on the room or the shapes of the plants. But a VERY GENERAL thing would be to wait for 8-10 nodes off the main stem then top. The bottom few usually end up getting taken off so you ideally end up with 6-8 tops. You can adjust those numbers based on your space or if a certain plants shape is different and it requires multiple toppings or no toppings at all etc etc.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I usually decide on this based on the room or the shapes of the plants. But a VERY GENERAL thing would be to wait for 8-10 nodes off the main stem then top. The bottom few usually end up getting taken off so you ideally end up with 6-8 tops. You can adjust those numbers based on your space or if a certain plants shape is different and it requires multiple toppings or no toppings at all etc etc.
Yeah I found this most ideal. In some like scrog I would do 6-8 nodes top and remove the bottom 2-4. 8-10 is also a great place imo. Depends on the number of colas ya want 4-6 keepers gives nice even good sized buds.

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

Yeah I found this most ideal. In some like scrog I would do 6-8 nodes top and remove the bottom 2-4. 8-10 is also a great place imo. Depends on the number of colas ya want 4-6 keepers gives nice even good sized buds.
so let it grow out the 6-8 nodes mature then cut it down to the 6th node at the stem and leave a stumpy bit ?

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

so would really have to wait until 9th and 10th node grow to cut it back to the 8th yeah ?
I think theres some misunderstanding here? You would let it grow to 8 nodes then remove the top node only, you can either cut it at the stem or just take the tiny bulb out of the top node. This is going to cause all the lower branches to grow up so there will be a total of 8 branches. But since the bottom 3-4 branches won't quite reach the top of the canopy they get removed later on. So in total you would end up with 4-6 branches that are nice and even on the top of the canopy.

You're not removing multiple nodes from the top or anything like that, just one, the top one.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

so would really have to wait until 9th and 10th node grow to cut it back to the 8th yeah ?
Don't have to just what I prefer. I find like @PpmOver9000 that my bottom most nodes never amount to much so by tipping after 8 and removing the bottoms I get much more even budding and height on the off shoots.

But you can top after 4 like many do. It just depends how many bud sites your after. If you keep 4 and top those you have 8 and again you have 16.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

hopefully i explained that well enough haha, but troll around the forum for people learning to top. theres a lot of ppl who post pics and mark them up on their phone to show where they top it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think theres some misunderstanding here? You would let it grow to 8 nodes then remove the top node only, you can either cut it at the stem or just take the tiny bulb out of the top node. This is going to cause all the lower branches to grow up so there will be a total of 8 branches. But since the bottom 3-4 branches won't quite reach the top of the canopy they get removed later on. So in total you would end up with 4-6 branches that are nice and even on the top of the canopy.

You're not removing multiple nodes from the top or anything like that, just one, the top one.
Exactly

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hopefully i explained that well enough haha, but troll around the forum for people learning to top. theres a lot of ppl who post pics and mark them up on their phone to show where they top it.
You did perfectly... thank you I was struggling there lol.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Don't have to just what I prefer. I find like @PpmOver9000 that my bottom most nodes never amount to much so by tipping after 8 and removing the bottoms I get much more even budding and height on the off shoots.

But you can top after 4 like many do. It just depends how many bud sites your after. If you keep 4 and top those you have 8 and again you have 16.
Do you think what's taken from the top simply shifts energy into the next cola's down the line? For instance, taking some tops off the biggest 3 cola's (splitting them into 6) and will shift some of that energy into the sides, that might otherwise not be as productive?

I guess what I'm saying, is do you think they can be evened out, to some extent, so there's some uniformity in development.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Do you think what's taken from the top simply shifts energy into the next cola's down the line? For instance, taking some tops off the biggest 3 cola's (splitting them into 6) and will shift some of that energy into the sides, that might otherwise not be as productive?

I guess what I'm saying, is do you think they can be evened out, to some extent, so there's some uniformity in development.
ive always been curious about this exact thing too haha

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes.

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

ahhh i get ya now .. thankyou

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

happy to help bud!
Hey mate one more question , should i LST the branches now ? i am going to try my first scrog. or should just wait till i can top the 8th node like you said then just feed them through the net ?

1989cheeseSOG

1989cheeseSOG

nobody can guess the right EC in your setup
it depends on many factors, strains, RH, temp etc

you need to recirculate your solution, if the EC climb after a day then you should reduce the feed, if EC dropped you know you need to increase

plants usually need higher EC during veg, start at 1.8mS and see

ph is also a good indicator, to give you an idea it must climb during veg, and drop during flowering (on healthy plants)
if your ph drop during veg stage you know the solution is too concentrated and you must reduce nutrients concentration

Top Bottom