Whats up, from Missouri!

• Thread starter MDK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MDK

MDK

New to the site just looking to meet new people and get new tips.

Looking to eventually make my own soil I'm located between the Missouri (sandy) and Mississippi (muddy) rivers. I used a mix over a decade ago to grow in a pot outdoor and it ended up being some legendary homegrown banger. Knowing a little more now i know I wouldn't probably want to bring a soil like that indoors, probably lucky to get by with it outdoors as I did without baking it.

So I'm kinda looking for recommendations on where to look into making my own soil, filtering out the bad microbes and keeping the beneficial ones. The soil has always grown good crop outdoor, flooding has always replenished the soil.

I plan on doing some outdoor so if cleaning it up for indoor is too much maybe just some tips on making it work in an outdoor container

Just something I want to do

Thanks

T

Trae1170

MDK,
Welcome to the Farm. I am a newbie here also and there is a lot of knowledge here that will be able to help. My only advice would be to not assume that every reply you get or every post is from someone knowledgeable or using the the best methods. Make sure to ask around and listen to the feedback from the long-timers here.
Welcome again.. Peace !

MDK

MDK

Thanks fellow farmers...

Used to be on this app called joinTogether but feds took it down around 2013 or something like that. I've lurked for a long time but now that missouri went recreational I felt safe enough to join

Scotty420

Scotty420

Welcome!! I'm also a newb to the site & growing in general. Fellow Missourian here, kinda in the same boat, just got tired of paying soo much. I'm guessing since you said your between the Missouri & Mississippi that you must be from the StL area?

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

@MDK and @Scotty420
Welcome to the farm! I am also a fellow Missourian. One of our mods here @Moe.Red is also a Missourian. Look out, the show me state is growing! 🥰

TSD

TSD

Welcome to the farm! Hard to give advice on amending the soil without knowing what's in it now, but you can ammend with various things like guano or blood meal for nitrogen, bone meal for calcium, kelp for phosphorus, ash for potassium... a good compost has many of those things too... so many ways to make soil... or you can add dry ammendments like Gaia green to existing soil and know that it should have the proper ratios already.
Above all else I'd add perlite or vermiculite for aeration of your soil at about a 30 percent (some people use more, some less) ratio... the roots need oxygen to thrive and they can't do that in dense, muddy soil that doesn't drain properly. I'd do a little research on building a super soil if that's what you're goal is. I just wing it... but that's the wrong way to do things lol.
Just remember you want to give it time to "cook" for the stuff to start to break down and be less "hot" humic and fulvic acids are good for helping break down soil components into usable nutrients. I let mine cook for at least a month when I go that route. Adding some beneficial mycorrhizae and beneficial nematodes is a good idea too. I add some earthworms to help things along, worm castings are always a good addition. Try to get an idea of your base ph as well in case you need to add something to correct that. If you decide it's too much effort, grab a bag soil designed for weed like Fox Farms Ocean Forest, which I still add a little extra perlite to. Good luck!

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
My parent's moved to MO (Ashland then to West Plains) and they love it there. Super happy to see you guys passed legalization, one more step to federal legalization.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

My parent's moved to MO (Ashland then to West Plains) and they love it there. Super happy to see you guys passed legalization, one more step to federal legalization.
I do all of my shopping in West Plains, closest place of any size and it’s a 145 mile round trip!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I do all of my shopping in West Plains, closest place of any size and it’s a 145 mile round trip!
I sold my farm in Summersville a year and a half ago. That was 45 mins from West Plains, and we had to go there or Rolla for anything other than the basics. Living in the boonies has its ups and downs.

At the time I was using waste veggie oil to run my diesel trucks, so the trips didn't bother me too much.

Been in STL for 25 years now, I'm spoiled up here. I have 2 Lowes and a Home Depot all within 10 minutes of my house.

Anybody notice any difference now that we are Rec legal?

Scotty420

Scotty420

I sold my farm in Summersville a year and a half ago. That was 45 mins from West Plains, and we had to go there or Rolla for anything other than the basics. Living in the boonies has its ups and downs.

At the time I was using waste veggie oil to run my diesel trucks, so the trips didn't bother me too much.

Been in STL for 25 years now, I'm spoiled up here. I have 2 Lowes and a Home Depot all within 10 minutes of my house.

Anybody notice any difference now that we are Rec legal?
Other than the drive through line wrapping around my local dispensary most days no. 😂

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
i remember when IL legalized and it was everyone showing online receipts of how they gut buttchugged by a business for almost no weed. So confusing - that's not a win you paid $280 for the ounce before tax - lines of lines just dumping massive cash into them.

TSD

TSD

i remember when IL legalized and it was everyone showing online receipts of how they gut buttchugged by a business for almost no weed. So confusing - that's not a win you paid $280 for the ounce before tax - lines of lines just dumping massive cash into them.
Seems ridic to is cause we can grow our own... but not everyone has that luxury, or the luxury of a hookup on the DL... so I guess overpriced dispo weed seems great to the masses lol.

Top Bottom