When Do I Mark First Day Of Flowering?

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

yup i would have to start counting everything about 3 weeks before 12/12 if i went off pistols,some of my shit has pistols after the cuts root which would make them 20 week strains,yup i got some la con that goes 20 lol
thats kind of the point.cuts will flower sooner because they are already sexually mature.preflowers will stay with mother forever under 18 hrs of light.all my moms and cuts have preflowered pistols,seedlings can take 3 to 6 weeks to preflower,which is a sign of sexual maturity and ready to be flowered.

j wizzle

j wizzle

Trichs are not the be all, end all. There is more to it than that IMO. Most of the time, people are chopping way early their first couple grows. I like to see the hairs turn color and begin to twist into the calyx, the buds begin to rock up, trichs are turning amber, etc. trichs are just one of the identifiers, they are not THE identifier IMO. and I think most strains are 10-11 weeks. I usually take them past 70 days and almost never take them past 80, but I did have a lemon haze that went 90 a few years back

P

PassTheJ

Maybe you're right.. I was under the impression that if 70% of the plants trichs are 30% amber, the other variables you names should have already reached that point too.. I got GSC, WhtRus, MstrKsh, and Ak47. I'm reading that those strains r ready 55-60..

Again, I'll look at all the indicators but honestly the trichs will be my main factor..

P

PassTheJ

While we're on the subject, anyone have a guesstimate of deficiency if you harvest 5 days early or late of perfect? Is it really all that noticeable?

P

PassTheJ

Potency... Taste.. Is it noticeable? What's my window for error?

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Trichs are not the be all, end all. There is more to it than that IMO. Most of the time, people are chopping way early their first couple grows. I like to see the hairs turn color and begin to twist into the calyx, the buds begin to rock up, trichs are turning amber, etc. trichs are just one of the identifiers, they are not THE identifier IMO. and I think most strains are 10-11 weeks. I usually take them past 70 days and almost never take them past 80, but I did have a lemon haze that went 90 a few years back
Real good point!

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I consider flowering starts when I see the first pistils

Crops

Crops

The day I flip we are in flower. I count the weeks after that. In my experience it is about 10 weeks of flower for pretty much everything excluding some trickier sativas and some faster indicas
That’s how I roll aswell gwheels

jammie

jammie

Rhino got it right. The only reliable indicator is trich color. So I count days only so I know when to pull out the digital microscope or plan for flush

gwheels

gwheels

I only count the days of flower to have an idea when to flush (clean water with minor amendments). It is a ballpark and i know 10 weeks we are pretty much there. I also check the trich colour but you can usually tell by the way the buds look. The lack of white pistols and such. The colouring of your pistols changes. The density of the bud changes etc. And I look for amber trichs around then

j wizzle

j wizzle

Rhino got it right. The only reliable indicator is trich color. So I count days only so I know when to pull out the digital microscope or plan for flush

so if you have fluffy buds with a ton of white hairs but with amber trichs you just chop? rather than waiting another week or so and gaining 15%+ more weight and a higher quality flower overall?

I don't know about that, id say the only reliable indicator is experience. both with individual strains and as a grower. your trichs will not mature at the same time on the entire plant either depending on grow style. if you chop when your tops are at 30% amber, your lowers are most likely nowhere near that, are you willing to give up the lowers turning amber at the expense of another 10% of amber on the tops? You are acting as if its black and white when its really a shade of grey and highly dependent on strain IMO

I only count the days of flower to have an idea when to flush (clean water with minor amendments). It is a ballpark and i know 10 weeks we are pretty much there. I also check the trich colour but you can usually tell by the way the buds look. The lack of white pistols and such. The colouring of your pistols changes. The density of the bud changes etc. And I look for amber trichs around then

this is basically it if you don't know the strain. and its all preference too. some like a little early, some like a little late. The flip date is just a guide so you know what to look for. The times given by seed companies are just a guess as there are multiple phenos unless you are working a really stable line with multiple generations of testing, which is not how most of the seeds are with all the hybrid crosses going on right now. there could be 5-6 sets of genetics in any given hybrid cross from 80% sativa to 80% indica depending on which traits were passed down.

the only way to know exactly which day to chop is to run the same cut multiple times and take samples at day 55, 60, 65, etc.

and if you're always starting your day 1 as the flip date, and not when you see pistols, you will always have the same start date and so you will have 1 less variable. why would you add in another variable to the equation that has an element of human error to it? you put it into flower, that's day 1. Now any adjustments you make in the future are always from the start of flip. Its a much more scientific method to say day 1 is the day you flip to 12/12

j wizzle

j wizzle

my master is always done in 60 sometimes sooner but its an old cut

Some of the heavy indica strains can be done in 50 days or less, IMO most of these OG strains/crosses are going into 9-10 weeks easy. I think old bubba cuts are done around 60 days too.

sixstring

sixstring

Master Kush wk 12 of veg has had pistols since day 1 of roots,so she's a 20 weeker fo sho....but I take her around 60 days :cool:
IMG 20180201 140924138
IMG 20180201 140914763

Top Bottom