When Do I Mark First Day Of Flowering?

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

12/12 from seed is the only time I would ever consider using hairs to declare flowering has started
That's pretty much it.but some strains take longer to show sex.i grow alot of regulars from the same pack and none of them ever show the same time.most are 2 to 3 weeks apart.sexual maturity is not induced by 12/12.if it has girl parts 12/12 will begin flower.
No girl parts 12 12 will speed the process but untill she shows sex shes ' not flowering untill she' ready.
If it takes 10 weeks to flower from seed but 8 from clone which one do you count?

H

heisen

I dont really understand what the big mystery is here..This is like 3rd grade elementary level growing.When plants start from seed they will flower when they are ready and mature enough to do so.Seeds sprouted from the same pack will not all start at the same time and you can guarantee that if it takes a seedling 10 weeks to flower it will take the clone up to 2 weeks weeks less unless you flipped when the seedling was already showing sex.You can flip to 12 12 till the cows come home but a plant wont show sex unless its ready.I started both of these plants on the same day from seed and this picture was taken the same day.
Number 10 Ghost OG
20180114 223939

And number 8 Ghost OG,as you can see the first plant waited 2 weeks longer to show anything all under the same light schedule.
20180114 223948

You can also see in the back left corner number 7 dragging ass,Some seedling will just drag there ass to show any signs no matter how long you put them under 12 12 ,but if you take clones from 3 of these mature plants they will have preflowers from Day 1.That does not mean they are flowering,Once you induce 12/12 to a preflowered plant they will start to flower.
This timeline can help in scheduling your next batches.
My Scotts OG 12 took FOREVER to start throwing pistols and i counted the days from the moment i saw hairs under 12/12.Started 12 12 at 2 weeks and did not get any hairs for another 2 weeks.they finished 8 weeks later but they are not a 10 week strain.The clones will finish in 8 weeks.
I dont grow 10 week strains.Way to long for my taste i dont care how good they are.To many other 8 weekers out there and electricity is .12 cents a watt where i live.
Growing from seeds you can count the clock from when you see pistols and your under 12/12.The next run will be on the money.From clones you can count when you flip to 12 12 as long as they already have preflowers.This is the way i do it cause i wont tolerate a 10 to 11 weeks strain and i have no use for males.I sex alot of regular seeds.

H

heisen

Be like starting a seed under 12 12 and saying thats day 1 of flower.We all know that plant will take at least 11 weeks to harvest but it is not an 11 week strain.

P

PassTheJ

20171202 180847
20171202 180825
These were 7 wk when I put them into 12/12.. That's 7 weeks from the day I set the 2 week old sprouts into soil pots. So 9 weeks from the moment seed opened. I didnt have a single sign of sex at 7wks.. I didn't care either. They mature a month after sprout breaks soil regardless..
20180131 194629
Took 6 days under 12/12 + my initial 48 hour dark period until I saw any sign of sex and flowering. All happened almost that the same time..

Now 12/12 was set Dec. 17 but first sign of flowering was Dec 23 which happened to be exactly 60 days from when I set sprouts into soil.. So Feb 17 will be due date. I'll start using my scope on the 10th..

P

PassTheJ

No i wouldn't chop, but i would write a pulitzer prize winning article about a cannibis plant could have have 30% amber trichs but still have more than a few whire hairs

I always figured trichs turn amber last. That is the final stage before plant begins to necros.. So all that other stuff like white hairs, density issues, would already be long done by the time trichs turn amber..

I might be totally wrong but if I am, I'd first assume it's the growers fault before the plant.

j wizzle

j wizzle

No i wouldn't chop, but i would write a pulitzer prize winning article about a cannibis plant could have have 30% amber trichs but still have more than a few whire hairs

So there's more to it than just trichs?

jammie

jammie

So there's more to it than just trichs?

No there isn't. Trich color just signifies degree of ripening. some people like green tomatoes. I have had plants where i get a spurt of new growth on a ripened bud or two but if 90% of the plant is showing cloudy trichs with 10-20% amber, it gets chopped.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

98-99% of us count from the day we change lights to 12/12 .

Don’t understand where this number came from and sure it’s made up.
I will agree more May start thier count with the flip,
But without a total poll of all internet grows, that 98-99% is just a opinion.
And a bad one.
But a little google search shows there are many who start at first pistal.
It’s just a “average” amount of time.
Not written in stone.
No need to be a mindless drone and follow what everyone else does when there are other ways to try.
Try it both ways to see what works for you.
Do what works for you
Let the flower swell and ripen to your choice.
Then smoke it.
i guess I could say that that is what 98-99% of our end goal is without googling it
Peace

MW7945

MW7945

Don’t understand where this number came from and sure it’s made up.
I will agree more May start thier count with the flip,
But without a total poll of all internet grows, that 98-99% is just a opinion.
And a bad one.
But a little google search shows there are many who start at first pistal.
It’s just a “average” amount of time.
Not written in stone.
No need to be a mindless drone and follow what everyone else does when there are other ways to try.
Try it both ways to see what works for you.
Do what works for you
Let the flower swell and ripen to your choice.
Then smoke it.
i guess I could say that that is what 98-99% of our end goal is without googling it
Peace

It's called a figure of speech. Settle down

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

I think 99.9% of us start counting flower time the first day of 12/12. Not sure how that would cause any trouble. If you are flowering mature plants, they will all have pistals already. Keep it simple, start counting from day one of flipping to 12/12

If you are flowering mature plants that show pistals before going into 12/12 then start the count when when it goes into flower
Pretty easy and simple

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

It's called a figure of speech. Settle down
No need to settle down for not riled.
It’s called conversation that unfortunately with the internet its easy for readers to misconstrue and musunderstand something that if said face to face they would understand
Peace

gwheels

gwheels

If I take away the week or two it takes for the pistols to form the seeds are pretty close to the flower time suggested by the breeder. I find it takes a week or so for them to show flowers. For me it has always just been a number to figure out when to start the next round and time it so some healthy bigger than babies are going in after the last batch has a week in the tent to dry. :)
So far pretty much everything I have run was a 10 week flower from the 12-12 flip but I am doing sativa heavy next round and it might take a bit longer.

P

PassTheJ

It'll be 8 weeks from flip on the 16th.. As you can see, pretty much all the plants have turned yellowish or light so I don't think I have much to go.

Some trichs already have amber heads.. I'm looking at Monday the 20th for harvest.. 63 days..
So almost perfect to seed bank specs.

20180213 170311
20180213 170244
RHINObeast

RHINObeast

If you are flowering mature plants that show pistals before going into 12/12 then start the count when when it goes into flower
Pretty easy and simple
I’m confused, you said do what works for you then gave us your opinion after by saying start when pistols show, your first post contradicts your second post. This has nothing to do with settling down or misunderstanding, read what you wrote dude

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

12/12 starts the day you flip. You’re changing the light cycle to the blooming phase, your plant will react to that flip as it chooses to, but it doesn’t mean it’s not in flower because it’s not showing pistols.

Cujo

Cujo

You start your flower cycle at flip. When ppl say they are at day 65 of flower, that means they are 65 days from the day they flipped. NOT when you see bud sites or whatever. Do you count the start of a seedlings life the day it shows it's first set of leaves?

Of course you start the day of a seedlings life upon the first set of leaves, would you start counting the age of a human while the baby is still in the womb.

There’s a couple considerations to take into account:

How long was it in a vegetative state prior to flipping to 12/12? Like us humans, a cannabis plant requires sexual maturity which can occur via age or transition to flower, it certainly won’t flower until you flip if it’s a photoperiod strain though. A seed that is flipped too early will mature the first week or even two then transition to flower. My current grow has one mature clone in with seeds the clone exhibited the onset of flowering within a few days of “flipping” and the seeds took two weeks. I “vegged” my plants under 1000w DE MH with a double bulb T5 fluorescent on each side of the light for 4 weeks, RDWC, 50 gallons circulating, mainlined, A/C, heater, humidifier, dehumidifier, chiller and Solacure Super B UV for late flower/ripen.

Top Bottom