When is the best time to harvest??

• Thread starter wickedest1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wickedest1

just reading a little about the sugar and starch & how they start convert back to starch to sugar & sugar to starch when harvested

when in the light cycle would be the best time to harvest to keep sugar and starches low

OR

That would be at a low point that at harvest wouldn't convert back to a large amount of sugars or starches

I want to harvest & cure the bud for the best flavor it will provide without being harsh or burnt sugar tasting in any way

I've been read about harvest and curing but no one really says when to harvest in the light cycle period or i just missed it

So

would it be best to harvest at the end of the light cycle of the day? or after a full dark period???

would a 48 to 72 hour period of pure darkness have any affect before harvest?

L

LUDACRIS.

just reading a little about the sugar and starch & how they start convert back to starch to sugar & sugar to starch when harvested

when in the light cycle would be the best time to harvest to keep sugar and starches low

OR

That would be at a low point that at harvest wouldn't convert back to a large amount of sugars or starches

I want to harvest & cure the bud for the best flavor it will provide without being harsh or burnt sugar tasting in any way

I've been read about harvest and curing but no one really says when to harvest in the light cycle period or i just missed it

So

would it be best to harvest at the end of the light cycle of the day? or after a full dark period???

would a 48 to 72 hour period of pure darkness have any affect before harvest?

When i am ready to harvest my green i usually just kill the lights and let the soil dry out (being lazy) and leave them in the dark untill i feel like chopping them up.

Timing the Harvest.

The timing of a harvest indoors is not as crucial as the timing of a harvest outdoors. Indoor plants do not have nature attacking them with wind, rain, mist and killer frosts. An extra week or two indoors will not noticeable effect potency. Outdoors things are different. Unless you have forced your plants to flower early the weather usually starts to deteriorate just when you don`t want it to. You really need to keep an eye on the weather forecasts and harvest or protect outdoor plants if frosts or really bad weather are due.

Trimming Plants.

It can take around an hour to trim what will end up as an ounce (28g) of dried cannabis. To avoid getting sore hands get yourself a comfy pair of large handled sharp pointed scissors. Remove all the large fan leaves and trim smaller leaves close to the buds. It helps to hold what you are trimming upside-down so the leaves hang down. You can cut off individual branches or buds and trim them, or do the whole plant as one. Cannabis is easier to trim when it`s freshly cut and its leaves are rigid with water so try not to cut down more than you can trim in a few hours. If you have no choice you can put the plants or branches in vases or buckets of water until you are ready for them.

Drying the Harvest.

To be sure your cannabis reaches its full potential you should make sure that you dry it properly. Chemical changes occur during drying that will increase the active ingredients and improve flavour and smell. Bad drying however will decrease the active ingredients and leave you with nasty tasting buds.

Drying Environment.

Ideally the drying area should be around room temperature (low 70`s F) and in darkness. About 75% - 85% of the weight of fresh cut cannabis is water so ventilation and air circulation are also important to avoid any problems with mould.

Drying Methods.

There are many ways to dry your cannabis. Some growers trim off individual buds or branches and dry them on horizontal screens or mesh. Others just use boxes lined with newspaper. One of the simplest methods is to hang trimmed plants in the air from a string or even a clothes horse. This allows air circulation and keeps the buds from touching anything. Whatever you do remember sticky THC laden glands are easily dislodged so avoid unnecessary contact with your buds while they are drying. Don`t be afraid to open up the buds to check for rot however.

Drying Times.

The first 3 or 4 days are the most crucial. Cannabis dried any quicker than this will often be harsh, brittle and of inferior quality to the same bud dried a bit more slowly. After 3 or 4 days you can speed up the drying if you really need to but waiting a least a week or two will give you a smoother taste.

Even Drying.

Sometimes large colas are still damp in the middle whilst brittle dry on the outside. Placing these buds in plastic bags over night will help even out the moisture content. Dried cannabis should be firm, springy and should not crumble to dust when handled.

Storing the Harvest.

When your cannabis has dried to an acceptable level it can be stored in dark air tight containers. Glass sealable mason jars are best (never use plastic). And never store buds in the freezer as the trichomes just break of the buds like icicles. When its dried and jarred open the jars daily (for an hour) for the first 2 weeks to let the air cirulate. This helps prolong the freshness the same way it does with other herbs. The flavour will improve the longer its cured and 2 weeks of curing is recomended before starting to smoke. Thats not to say you cant smoke it as soon as its dried but the flavour will get better and smoother throughout curing.

Curing.

Curing is a longer more drawn out drying period. The chemical changes that occur during drying are allowed to continue further so that the taste, the 'high' and the appearance of the cannabis is altered even more. Curing can help improve the flavour of 'green' or bad tasting cannabis but will not increase actual potency. It can alter the high as it allows the plants THC to degrade to other active cannabinoids but this can be both a good or a bad thing depending on personal taste.

LUDACRIS.
(by s.green).

:)

L

LUDACRIS.

DRYING.

Living marijuana leaves are 80 percent water; colas are about 70 percent water. Marijuana dried for smoking contains only eight to 10 percent water, or about 10 percent of the original amount. There are several methods used to evaporate water; these have little effect on potency, but can affect the taste, bouquet, and smoothness of the smoke. Generally, the slower the dry, the smoother the taste. Excess drying and drying methods that use heat will evaporate some of the volatile oils that give each grass its unique taste and aroma.

Grasses which are dried as part of the curing process usually have a smooth, mild taste, because of the elimination of chlorophyll and various proteins. Cured marijuana may also be a little sweeter than when first picked, because the curing converts some of the plant's starch to simple sugars.
Some grasses are tasty and smooth-smoking when they are dried without curing, especially fresh homegrown buds which retain their volatile oils and sugar. Many homegrowers have acquired a taste for "natural" uncured grass, with its minty chlorophyll flavour; such marijuana is dried directly after harvesting.

SLOW DRYING.

Slow drying is probably the method most commonly used to dry marijuana. Because of the slowness of the dry, a slight cure takes place, eliminating the bite sometimes associated with quickly dried grass.
There are many variations of the technique, but most commonly whole plants or separated colas are suspended upside down from a drawn string or from pegs on a wall in a cool dark room, closet, or other enclosed space. A large number of plants may take a week or two to dry. The drying time for small numbers of plants can be increased. (for a slight cure) the drying room should have no heavy drafts, but mould may form on the plants if the air is stagnant. If weather is rainy or the air humid, increase ventilation and watch for any mould. Plants should be dried quickly under moderate heat if any mould appears.
Many experienced growers prefer slow drying to curing. There is little chance of error with this method, and buds usually smoke smooth and develop a pliable consistency. Slow-dried ripe buds retain their delicious, sweet aroma and taste.

CURING.

Curing is a process employed to naturally enhance the bouquet, flavour, and texture of marijuana. Curing does not lower potency when done correctly, although poor curing methods often result in some less of THC.

Curing is not an essential procedure, and many growers prefer the "natural" flavour of uncured grass. Sweet sinsemilla buds usually are not cured.
Curing is most successful on plants which have "ripened" and are beginning to lose chlorophyll. It is less successful on growing tips and other vigorous parts which are immature. These parts may only lose some chlorophyll.

Curing proceeds while the leaf is still alive, for until it dries, many of the leaf's life processes continue. Since the leaf's ability to produce sugars is thwarted, it breaks down stored starch to simple sugars, which are used for food. This gives the grass a sweet or earthy aroma and taste. At the same time, many of the complex proteins and pigments, such as chlorophyll, are broken down in enzymatic processes. This changes the colour of the leaf from green to various shades of yellow, brown, tan, or red, depending primarily on the variety, but also on growing environment and cure technique. The destruction of chlorophyll eliminates the minty taste that is commonly associated with green homegrown.

AFTER DRYING.

Any variety benefits from a slow cure. Curing involves atmospheric oxygen to metabolize cannabinnoids and terpenes into more desirable forms. After the harvest is dry enough to create a snapping sound when stems are bent, the material is placed in sealed glass containers (mason jars). Once the oxygen is consumed within them, the process slows to a halt.

The jars should be opened and aired out once or twice every 24 hours. If you smoke a bud as soon as it is drys, it is nothing like it becomes after a nice slow dry and cure. The buds must remain dry with no moisture from inner stems still dispersing, kept out of direct light and the ambient temperature/humidity should be comfortable for humans. I usually extend the curing time to 5 weeks, if discernable improvements were still occuring. No bud should be smoked before its time. Its like a fine wine that gets better with age.

LUDACRIS.
(by s.green).

W

wickedest1

Ty this helps a little & gos with what I was already reading up on

but what I was asking I guess is knowing a plant is ready for harvest would you just cut it when you say its ready? ("its done cut it") or would timing the point at when you cut it would have any effect or would that matter?

saying letting it finish its day light cycle and harvesting at the beginning of its dark cycle?

OR letting it finish its dark night cycle and then harvesting it before the start of the next light cycle??

and being a question that can apply to indoors and outdoors growing

if growing indoors could or would making a long dark cycle like 24 to 48 or 72 hours long before harvest would have any effect to curing out a sweeter tasting bud instead of getting a burnt sugar or starch taste that may come from dense or early harvested buds or would it even have an effect sugar or starches for curing that would be noticeable??

L

LUDACRIS.

Ty this helps a little & gos with what I was already reading up on

but what I was asking I guess is knowing a plant is ready for harvest would you just cut it when you say its ready? ("its done cut it") or would timing the point at when you cut it would have any effect or would that matter?

saying letting it finish its day light cycle and harvesting at the beginning of its dark cycle?

OR letting it finish its dark night cycle and then harvesting it before the start of the next light cycle??

and being a question that can apply to indoors and outdoors growing

if growing indoors could or would making a long dark cycle like 24 to 48 or 72 hours long before harvest would have any effect to curing out a sweeter tasting bud instead of getting a burnt sugar or starch taste that may come from dense or early harvested buds or would it even have an effect sugar or starches for curing that would be noticeable??[/QUOTE]

I would say yes to that.

I really dont know as i stick to one method.
LUDA.

M

maxstyles

Hey Ludacris, just been reading your post. Good info, thanks heaps. I have just had my first major harvest & had a huge problem with the relative humidity being under 30%. I tried everything to raise the RH but could not get the room to go over 38% RH as such the first half of the harvest which I trimmed pre hanging, dried so fast that there is no taste/flavour and its not sticky. It was so stinky & sticky before the dry I'm almost in tears., The other half is still drying with all fan leaves in tact to slow the dry, its still supa low RH but the half still drying smells heaps better. Is there anyway of rescuing the first half that dried to quick. Obviously its not going to be great, but can I rejuvenate any taste or aroma back into the product. A mate says boveda 62% RH humidipacks will bring back the aroma/flavour. I think they may just dampen it & still be no smell. It looks amazing but has no smell at all? I'll be trying the slow method next time, like u say by using a wall instead of hanging in the middle of the room. Any help greatly appreciated.
When i am ready to harvest my green i usually just kill the lights and let the soil dry out (being lazy) and leave them in the dark untill i feel like chopping them up.

Timing the Harvest.

The timing of a harvest indoors is not as crucial as the timing of a harvest outdoors. Indoor plants do not have nature attacking them with wind, rain, mist and killer frosts. An extra week or two indoors will not noticeable effect potency. Outdoors things are different. Unless you have forced your plants to flower early the weather usually starts to deteriorate just when you don`t want it to. You really need to keep an eye on the weather forecasts and harvest or protect outdoor plants if frosts or really bad weather are due.

Trimming Plants.

It can take around an hour to trim what will end up as an ounce (28g) of dried cannabis. To avoid getting sore hands get yourself a comfy pair of large handled sharp pointed scissors. Remove all the large fan leaves and trim smaller leaves close to the buds. It helps to hold what you are trimming upside-down so the leaves hang down. You can cut off individual branches or buds and trim them, or do the whole plant as one. Cannabis is easier to trim when it`s freshly cut and its leaves are rigid with water so try not to cut down more than you can trim in a few hours. If you have no choice you can put the plants or branches in vases or buckets of water until you are ready for them.

Drying the Harvest.

To be sure your cannabis reaches its full potential you should make sure that you dry it properly. Chemical changes occur during drying that will increase the active ingredients and improve flavour and smell. Bad drying however will decrease the active ingredients and leave you with nasty tasting buds.

Drying Environment.

Ideally the drying area should be around room temperature (low 70`s F) and in darkness. About 75% - 85% of the weight of fresh cut cannabis is water so ventilation and air circulation are also important to avoid any problems with mould.

Drying Methods.

There are many ways to dry your cannabis. Some growers trim off individual buds or branches and dry them on horizontal screens or mesh. Others just use boxes lined with newspaper. One of the simplest methods is to hang trimmed plants in the air from a string or even a clothes horse. This allows air circulation and keeps the buds from touching anything. Whatever you do remember sticky THC laden glands are easily dislodged so avoid unnecessary contact with your buds while they are drying. Don`t be afraid to open up the buds to check for rot however.

Drying Times.

The first 3 or 4 days are the most crucial. Cannabis dried any quicker than this will often be harsh, brittle and of inferior quality to the same bud dried a bit more slowly. After 3 or 4 days you can speed up the drying if you really need to but waiting a least a week or two will give you a smoother taste.

Even Drying.

Sometimes large colas are still damp in the middle whilst brittle dry on the outside. Placing these buds in plastic bags over night will help even out the moisture content. Dried cannabis should be firm, springy and should not crumble to dust when handled.

Storing the Harvest.

When your cannabis has dried to an acceptable level it can be stored in dark air tight containers. Glass sealable mason jars are best (never use plastic). And never store buds in the freezer as the trichomes just break of the buds like icicles. When its dried and jarred open the jars daily (for an hour) for the first 2 weeks to let the air cirulate. This helps prolong the freshness the same way it does with other herbs. The flavour will improve the longer its cured and 2 weeks of curing is recomended before starting to smoke. Thats not to say you cant smoke it as soon as its dried but the flavour will get better and smoother throughout curing.

Curing.

Curing is a longer more drawn out drying period. The chemical changes that occur during drying are allowed to continue further so that the taste, the 'high' and the appearance of the cannabis is altered even more. Curing can help improve the flavour of 'green' or bad tasting cannabis but will not increase actual potency. It can alter the high as it allows the plants THC to degrade to other active cannabinoids but this can be both a good or a bad thing depending on personal taste.

LUDACRIS.
(by s.green).

Latest posts

Top Bottom