When should i harvest these plants?

• Thread starter wolfsetone26
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannagar

Cannagar

To an inexperienced eye, trichomes can be tricky because if you dont look at them right, the stalks of the trichome can make the heads look cloudy but they really arent. Hence making people want to chop early. Ive learned if i look at the side of the trichs, you get a better idea of where you stand.
Fair enough.
Only thing obvious is your bad advice and arrogance.

Gonna hit the ignore button for the first time ever.
No need for arrogant people in my life.
No problem man. I may even beat ya too it.

Cannagar

Cannagar

To an inexperienced eye, trichomes can be tricky because if you dont look at them right, the stalks of the trichome can make the heads look cloudy but they really arent. Hence making people want to chop early. Ive learned if i look at the side of the trichs, you get a better idea of where you stand.
Thats fair. I suppose what worked for me might not work for all.

TSD

TSD

Y'all are both right lol, trichomes are the best way to judge ripeness, but the look of the whole plant must be considered too... looking at the trichomes at this stage is a little pointless because they're clearly no where close to done... but I guess practicing with the loupe and seeing what they look like when they're definitely not ready can't hurt either.
OP, those white spots are suspicious... either a pest, pathogen or deficiency of some kind.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Thats fair. I suppose what worked for me might not work for all.
Thats true, but thats why we all put up what works for us, and then other people can take whatever they want from it and try it themselves to see what ways work best for them.

T

Titleist

You should be able to get a jewelers loupe for around the 5 dollar mark that will serve you well down the road. These pics seem to be taken with some time in between as the latest set of pics show some maturity of the pistils. The first set of pics showed smaller buds with bleach white pistils standing straight out, some in the second set show maturing pistils and older buds in general.

I haven't gone back up to check, but knowing exactly how many days they've been in flower gives you a starting point. Things that can change that are sudden drastic stress on the plant, lights, water and nutes. I've seen people judge by pistils alone while having fresh pistils on their foxtails and they let it go too far.

Regardless of how large the buds will eventually get you want to chop when the psychoactive part of the plant is ready, and that's your trichomes as most have stated. They are usually the final judge of when to chop because not getting the timing right won't yield the desired results most of the time.

Get a loupe and check all over the plants not just the top buds. Check all buds and sugar leaves you intend to keep in the buds at all heights of the plant. What's on the top buds has a tendency to ripen first. The older trichs will ripen first generally so what you're looking for is the best balance you can get of trichome clear or cloudiness to amber across the entire surface of the plant you intend to consume for the typical THC benefits. If you're looking for couch lock then let most of them all turn amber and then chop and you'll be snoozing in no time.

Madmax

Madmax

Agree with you fully..when i saw the fresh pics i was like well it could b three weeks now at rough guess. My past couple grows my plants never showed amber even taking an indica dominant to 11 weeks.trics all milky for weeks,calyxs were swollen and all pistals receeded ,i was waiting for amber to appear and showed a mate with 40 odd years experience and hes like..theyre done.set date and chop..stop worrying about it.most anything taken to 11weeks will b potent...

W

wolfsetone26

You should be able to get a jewelers loupe for around the 5 dollar mark that will serve you well down the road. These pics seem to be taken with some time in between as the latest set of pics show some maturity of the pistils. The first set of pics showed smaller buds with bleach white pistils standing straight out, some in the second set show maturing pistils and older buds in general.

I haven't gone back up to check, but knowing exactly how many days they've been in flower gives you a starting point. Things that can change that are sudden drastic stress on the plant, lights, water and nutes. I've seen people judge by pistils alone while having fresh pistils on their foxtails and they let it go too far.

Regardless of how large the buds will eventually get you want to chop when the psychoactive part of the plant is ready, and that's your trichomes as most have stated. They are usually the final judge of when to chop because not getting the timing right won't yield the desired results most of the time.

Get a loupe and check all over the plants not just the top buds. Check all buds and sugar leaves you intend to keep in the buds at all heights of the plant. What's on the top buds has a tendency to ripen first. The older trichs will ripen first generally so what you're looking for is the best balance you can get of trichome clear or cloudiness to amber across the entire surface of the plant you intend to consume for the typical THC benefits. If you're looking for couch lock then let most of them all turn amber and then chop and you'll be snoozing in no time.
Thank you very helpful indeed

W

wolfsetone26

It took me a week or so but here are new pics using a jewelers loupe app.

Magnifier 20221129 134905
Magnifier 20221129 134825
Magnifier 20221129 134625
Magnifier 20221129 134538
Magnifier 20221129 134440
Magnifier 20221129 134407
Magnifier 20221129 134316
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

That app is not working to see your trichs well enough to determine harvest time.

Try one of these-

I use this with a boom microphone stand that holds the wifi microscope steady to view and take photos if needed.

Cannagar

Cannagar

That app is not working to see your trichs well enough to determine harvest time.

Try one of these-

I use this with a boom microphone stand that holds the wifi microscope steady to view and take photos if needed.
Ohhhhh I like that. I have a mic boom but hadnt thought of using it that way. I just use a microscope that attaches to my phone camera

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

IMG 0238
Trichs

Here are a couple of photos I took using this microscope plus the free app that work together. It's the best way I have found to look at the trichomes fosure.

Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

I really struggle with looking at trichomes shaky hand n all I go by the oh yea it looks like a blur between milky clear n amber must be ready😂 I never even knew of trichomes ripeness 10-15 yrs back it was yep all brown hairs receded pull her😂👍

Top Bottom