When Should I Run My Night Cycle?

• Thread starter stickyicky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stickyicky

stickyicky

Hey Farmer's,

I'm looking for some experienced advise on when to run my night cycle. I'm running as much as 5200 watt (air cooled hoods) HID's. I also have my veg cab with-in the grow room that exhausts directly into the room adding heat. My room is well insulated and 12'x12'. I have a 2 ton mini split AC and need to use it efficiently. I also have a 650 cfm exhaust fan with passive intake. I am running co2.

I am looking for the best time to run my lights on / off cycles. I am currently running my lights from 9p-9a. I am located in central cali.

If I run lights during daytime the ac should be on only during day. If I run lights at night the ac will come on day and night.

Am I missing something? Pls. help.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
i have always run lights at night, easier to keep cool in the summer and more efficient to keep warm in the winter

plus the meter isnt doing a linda blair when the pg & e guy shows up

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

run your lights at night

Yea run them at night but just make sure you don't have light leaks.

jagle

jagle

i am starting to plan my first lil grow and for some reason thought running them at day would be better, any other advantages of running them at night, during the day you can pop in for maintence much easier no?

jagle

jagle

ok but other then that, surely you wanna sync it so you have the most amount of time to work in there yeah?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
ultimately its whenever is gonna work for you really bro, Im disabled and am not chained to the rigors of a reg 9-5 gig

If I ran my lights during the day I would have to use ac here in the summer (I currently dont) and I would have to run a heater at night in the winter, instead my lights and a bit less ventilation keep my room just right

jagle

jagle

very cleaver, i guess im lucky enough to work at night and have to go to college during the day haha, but lights from late evening to early morning i guess would be best, the free heat is a great idea

motta-tokka

motta-tokka

yes its right on the money. I try to have it as close to 6 pm to 6am because of the lower cost of power usage.. Also the ambient heat/cold effects it so your 9pm to 9am might be even more efficient in terms of power consumption by the a/c having to keep temps down.

Meaning at 6pm there is still ambient heat, but by 9pm there is almost none so its much easier to cool down lights, room, water, etc.

opt1c

opt1c

in central cali they charge for how much power you use not when you use it

since it can be slow to cool off here at night i like to run from 10p-10a as its never hot by 10a and it gives you an extra hour of lights on in the morning

opt1c

opt1c

i run from 9p to 1p with the lights off during the hottest part of the day; think of spanish siestas and give your plants them accordingly ;)

P

paulycali

Always at night! 8pm on 8am off. For 12hr flowering cycle. Or 8pm on 9am off for 13hr flowering cycle. Electricity believe it or not is also cheaper at night then during the day. Good luck and always have fun growing

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Night is the only way to go, for me. I do have one room that runs from 11pm-11am, so I can get in in the morning. Most of the others are 9-9.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
fyi, pg&e does allow different rate plans. fixed rate or peak so not always cheaper at night.

One advantage to dark cycle during the day is more control over night day temp diff.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I run either 8pm to 8am or 9pm to 9am depending on the season.
I'm thinking of changing to daytime cycle for winter though. I'm much more productive in the morning then late in the evening.
My friend runs 5pm to 5am, but he lives under the trees so the air is always a bit cooler.

stickyicky

stickyicky

Right on guy's,

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep it at 9p-9a.

C

chefrey

up in the mountains I have to run my lights at night to keep my ladies warm

Top Bottom