When should i start

• Thread starter Toone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Toone

IM still in the learning stage only been growing for about 2 seasons (indoor) i got a couple seedlings ive been growing for about a month and i wanted to do an outdoor grow this season can i put them outside without harmif so when do i start?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Im still new also and have tons to learn
I think you could put month old seedlings out in so cal now.
Might be a little early for clones.
How many hours of light are they getting inside? (could be a factor)

T

Toone

im vegging them full 24 hours should i switch to 18-6 maybe get them used to dark to prevent shock?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Great question
I think switching them to 18/6 for a while, couldn't hurt...
I don't know if it would help keep them from flowering too soon or not.

I hope someone can give you a good answer...I wanna know how to go about that too.

T

Toone

yeah no matter what, some people say outdoor is easier, if you ask me i would say indoor is a hell of a lot easier u have full controll

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They could have been started outside, and for photoperiod, etcetera, it's better to do things that way so you don't confuse them with changing photoperiods.

Put them out, do it now. Since they're seed starts they likely haven't yet sexed. The problems arise if they've already shown sex.

redman420

redman420

no dont put them outside today LA is only going to get just over 12 hrs of light today,wait till you have at 14 hrs of light per day,4/20 is a good day to put them out.And put your lights a 16 hrs of light right now.

Chobble

Chobble

March 31st is the day you can put them outside. Weather Permitting. Im in central california and its cold and rainy. If the weather is good during the day and doesnt drop below 45 degrees at night you should be able to plant them. My advise would be to start putting them outside when it starts cooling down outside and letting them harden off.

Also I would say you should do 18/6 for all your veg. Thats just me though.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Yeah 18/6 helps them not turn straight to flower when put outside...24hr inside lighting tends to not work well when plants are put outside early. But putting them out at end of March and during April, ime guarantees a preflowerness...unless it's a seedling.
I personally feel May day is the day and any day during May is acceptable. Keep em inside growing well and then put em out when it's active growing weather. Putting em out in April will just make them guess for a couple weeks and might start a preflower episode which imo disrupts the structure of the plant and doesn't provide a good foundation for a multi pound plant.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Good replys!

But what about clones that where rooted in 24 lite?
If I switch them to say.. 16/8 for a few weeks, then put them out in 14/10 sunlight
would they adjust?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Hey Ken,
If you put them out in May you shouldn't have any problems, I used to veg em 18/6 then start a week at 17/7 then 16/8 next week then outdoors first week of May or so. It is diff for different genetics, some flip easily and some don't mind the photoperiod change. It's trial and error and different for diff locations...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
However if you put them out in April, sometimes those blips of overcast/rainy days can stunt them a tad or convince them to flip, again this is genetic dependent and location...
I've seen some varietals not mind the photoperiod change and just grow like crazy, but if you know the phenotype or genetic likes to flip at the slightest stress or rootboundness...etc..
I'd just play it safe and put them out later or put em in the greenhouse now and provide some supplemental lighting...

southstreets

southstreets

Personally... I don't like to fuck with cuts outdoors.. Only run seed... If ur Gunna do it mid may would be the best time to move them outdoors...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
However if you put them out in April, sometimes those blips of overcast/rainy days can stunt them a tad or convince them to flip, again this is genetic dependent and location...
I've seen some varietals not mind the photoperiod change and just grow like crazy, but if you know the phenotype or genetic likes to flip at the slightest stress or rootboundness...etc..
I'd just play it safe and put them out later or put em in the greenhouse now and provide some supplemental lighting...

Get advice always from you BabaG
I cant wait....I was out early with Supp lighting and hoophouses....
Until we had 40mph winds then hail while I was away :(
Im going with the supp lighting :) again

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Honestly, in SoCal, weather is not a worry (seriously), and because we're talking about seed starts the photoperiod is not a worry. I'm several hundred miles NORTH of SoCal, my son grows in SoCal (using light -/+ techniques), I've always put my seedlings out early and the worst that happens if they're snowed on is growth stalls. They do NOT flip into flower, they do not die because it's <65F.

I've been doing seed starts in the Sierra Nevada outside since I started growing. I have yet to lose one. I've put plants outside in December hoping they would die in the cold, snow and frost, only to find them the following March GROWING.
Good replys!

But what about clones that where rooted in 24 lite?
If I switch them to say.. 16/8 for a few weeks, then put them out in 14/10 sunlight
would they adjust?
No, use an interrupted photoperiod. In fact, you can use lighting outdoors to delay/prevent flowering as well. But, you know this, don't you?

Chobble

Chobble

Honestly, in SoCal, weather is not a worry (seriously), and because we're talking about seed starts the photoperiod is not a worry. I'm several hundred miles NORTH of SoCal, my son grows in SoCal (using light -/+ techniques), I've always put my seedlings out early and the worst that happens if they're snowed on is growth stalls. They do NOT flip into flower, they do not die because it's <65F.

I've been doing seed starts in the Sierra Nevada outside since I started growing. I have yet to lose one. I've put plants outside in December hoping they would die in the cold, snow and frost, only to find them the following March GROWING.

No, use an interrupted photoperiod. In fact, you can use lighting outdoors to delay/prevent flowering as well. But, you know this, don't you?

Wow your plants get snowed on? I was under the impression most varieties of cannabis can survive a freeze. What do you grow if you dont mind me asking?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Whatever I can get my hands on, whatever pleases me at the moment. I prefer Sativas, really hate becoming couch-locked, so that's what I try to get growing on, mostly.

If you're looking for a list of what I've grown... I'd have to go back over a LOT of notes. It would be easier to tell you what I grew out last year. I lost ALL moms over the winter, unable to care for any cuttings after my surgery. So this year it's nothing but seed-starts unless I'm gifted some cuttings.

There are folks who insist cannabis can't survive a freeze @32*F, and those who say this I believe are at pretty high elevations in the Rockies. But where I am, western scarp of the Sierra Nevada @ 2,500' elevation, they survive as low as 15*F, potted in 1gal pots. I called those bitches "whoores" because I meant what I said, I wanted them to die. I'm pretty sure a Chemdog and Bubba Kush were among that particular batch, they looked rough and I had to reduce my plant count.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Yep. :) Thanks to good folks like you I know that .

If I could upload... I would show how the plants that I was doing that with are now that they have been hailed and snowed on after the plastic to the hoophouse and green houses were torn off by 40mph winds last week..

Latest posts

Top Bottom