When Should I Stop Training Plant Under Scrog Screen??

• Thread starter Scottylove69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scottylove69

Scottylove69

This is my first grow with SCROG and since I only had one plant at the time I am using a tamato cage and hemp string tide across it to create the screen. I started tighing her down about a month ago when she was already 12 inches tall. I know I waited a little long but this plant grows so bushy that I never even needed to top her and I also needed to make sure she was a female before I started winding her through a screen. She is now a week into flower and 20 inches tall by 24 inches wide. The SCROG has worked great and every stem and bud site reached the screen due to the training which is great. I should now have nearly 15 top cola's. My question is at what point should i stop bending her down. I kind of wanted to let the main center cola which has been bent over so much that everything else has now caught up but I wanted to let it just grow now seeing as how I'm only using cfls and have the ability to position lights better for different hight buds.thanks for the input. These pics are from today and show before and after me bending. Like I said it's a week into flower and has some stretch so at what point do i stop training below s reen because it's Def working and filling it out well

When should i stop training plant under scrog screen
When should i stop training plant under scrog screen 2
When should i stop training plant under scrog screen 3
When should i stop training plant under scrog screen 4
When should i stop training plant under scrog screen 5
When should i stop training plant under scrog screen 6
Enforcer

Enforcer

That is a great website for info. I would say your SCROG is too small. It needs to be larger than the pot, so she can grow horizontally. Think wide and flat. Try to make one that is the same hight but about three times as wide. If you're in a tent try to fill the entire tent with SCROG. Basically, the bigger the SCROG, the more plant you can weave, which exposes more bud sites to the light. That plant is so tightly bunched up you are begging for mold/mildew issues down the road. Flip to flower when you SCROG is about 3/4 full.

Last edited:
S

Shawnery

You could even add a net to the secondary ring i see at the top? Thst would add atleast a foot around the entire net. Give it some thought.

The thing is though size of net also equates to length of grow so perhaps he's looking for a quick turn around?

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

That is a great website for info. I would say your SCROG is too small. It needs to be larger than the pot, so she can grow horizontally. Think wide and flat. Try to make one that is the same hight but about three times as wide. If you're in a tent try to fill the entire tent with SCROG. Basically, the bigger the SCROG, the more plant you can weave, which exposes more bud sites to the light. That plant is so tightly bunched up you are begging for mold/mildew issues down the road. Flip to flower when you SCROG is about 3/4 full.
I guess I waited to long to actually get a good scrog as I had to wait till late week five to sex her and I was only doing slight train and tieing off the top. I did unfortunately have to start flowering at week 6 because I only have small cfls and not enough light for to much more. At this point every branch has reached the screen and I don't know if there is any need to keep bending them down. Thus plant grew wider than it was tall even before I did anything which is the reason I didn't top at all. I am going to have a light coming withing a couple weeks and already have clones and seeds on the way which are feminized so this tme I can set the net bigger with more plants and start much lower. As far ares this plant I'm not sure if I can get any more from continued training under the make shift screen cause like I said all the branches made it to the top. I count 15 bud sites. I understand that continued bending will promote the lower bud sites on the same branch to grow up sideways but I'm concerned that if my current cola's are not at least a few inches above the screen that they will not be very tall or big?? I'm really not sure to be honest and have never done scrog before or any real trainING to be honest.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I guess I waited to long to actually get a good scrog as I had to wait till late week five to sex her and I was only doing slight train and tieing off the top. I did unfortunately have to start flowering at week 6 because I only have small cfls and not enough light for to much more. At this point every branch has reached the screen and I don't know if there is any need to keep bending them down. Thus plant grew wider than it was tall even before I did anything which is the reason I didn't top at all. I am going to have a light coming withing a couple weeks and already have clones and seeds on the way which are feminized so this tme I can set the net bigger with more plants and start much lower. As far ares this plant I'm not sure if I can get any more from continued training under the make shift screen cause like I said all the branches made it to the top. I count 15 bud sites. I understand that continued bending will promote the lower bud sites on the same branch to grow up sideways but I'm concerned that if my current cola's are not at least a few inches above the screen that they will not be very tall or big?? I'm really not sure to be honest and have never done scrog before or any real trainING to be honest.
My suggestion, since you are already a week into flower, would be to thin the older fan leaves to create more air flow. No more topping or bending. Just let her finish stretching for another week or so. If she reaches the top of the tomato cage, make another SCROG there just for support. Don't bend anything under that one. Just let her fatten up the buds. Next go round, wider SCROG.

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

You could even add a net to the secondary ring i see at the top? Thst would add atleast a foot around the entire net. Give it some thought.

The thing is though size of net also equates to length of grow so perhaps he's looking for a quick turn around?
I don't understand . Do you mean add another net above the existing one? I uldnt have extended the screen but like I said I'm limited with my current setup of lights and for the next round I plan in doing a larger and lower screen with 3 to 4 plants. I already have the clones in the incubater. I'm just at a loss if I can do more with what I have or if any more train would help at all. I believe she has 1 to 2 more weeks of stretch so should I let that stretch up considering all the buds are at the same hight now or do I continue to bend under screen?

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

My suggestion, since you are already a week into flower, would be to thin the older fan leaves to create more air flow. No more topping or bending. Just let her finish stretching for another week or so. If she reaches the top of the tomato cage, make another SCROG there just for support. Don't bend anything under that one. Just let her fatten up the buds. Next go round, wider SCROG.
Than you so much. I can't wait to get a real light. I have a small setup but alot of love goes Into it.lol I'm learning so much as I go but currently I have 5 clones that are starting to root and two more seedlings. I may even put a couple clones straight into flower ecause I won't have room to get them big because my new strain is already growing but wasn't sure if I would get anytging from a clone that small

S

Shawnery

Grow the plant up the sides like a bowl. That's what I mean by adding net. Not above it but around it like a bowl. That should work good for your lights.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Grow the plant up the sides like a bowl. That's what I mean by adding net. Not above it but around it like a bowl. That should work good for your lights.
I think you mean like this. This is one of my outdoor plants from this summer that ended up being male. Grew like a wine glass.

IMG 1118
IMG 1131
Scottylove69

Scottylove69

That's sweet. Nice to see someone else doing the same thing. What kind of fan are you using ? Do you have a filter and if so is it at the intake side or exhaust side? I was told to use it as the intake side but I have an old bathroom fan and was thinking of running the air through the filter rather then sucking in through it

Enforcer

Enforcer

The fans I got from Craigslist. I believe they are 440 cfm hurricane fans. I have them set up as intake and exhaust with speed controllers. The intake has nylon stretched across just to prevent bugs and stuff from getting in. Exhaust sucked through charcoal filter, to light hood, to fan, out of tent up to attic. So I have one fan blowing air in, and another sucking air out. I use the speed controls to adjust air flow and tent pressure (walls bulging out or sucked in).

Enforcer

Enforcer

I'll take a pic of the light set up and post it in my thread for you.

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

I'll take a pic of the light set up and post it in my thread for you.
Thanks that would be great. I was trying to make my own setup and wasn't sure if having the filter as intake was important or if I can blow the air through it also I was hoping if I just had a fan sucking in dirty air snide my closet with an exhaust ppe running out as long as I made it air tight that I could maybe just drill a 6 inches hole at the bottom and the negative pressure would create my fresh air intake in.? Also how well do the carbon filters work? Sml is starting to create a problem and a scrubber is the next thing on my "to do"

fatawa

fatawa

This is my first grow with SCROG and since I only had one plant at the time I am using a tamato cage and hemp string tide across it to create the screen. I started tighing her down about a month ago when she was already 12 inches tall. I know I waited a little long but this plant grows so bushy that I never even needed to top her and I also needed to make sure she was a female before I started winding her through a screen. She is now a week into flower and 20 inches tall by 24 inches wide. The SCROG has worked great and every stem and bud site reached the screen due to the training which is great. I should now have nearly 15 top cola's. My question is at what point should i stop bending her down. I kind of wanted to let the main center cola which has been bent over so much that everything else has now caught up but I wanted to let it just grow now seeing as how I'm only using cfls and have the ability to position lights better for different hight buds.thanks for the input. These pics are from today and show before and after me bending. Like I said it's a week into flower and has some stretch so at what point do i stop training below s reen because it's Def working and filling it out well
if yur trying to do a scrog then you shud gut out under her skirt.yur only focused on canopy n scrog brotha

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

if yur trying to do a scrog then you shud gut out under her skirt.yur only focused on canopy n scrog brotha
I tried all the lower branches and made clones out of them. I was going to cut any larger fan leaves but wasn't sure how much i should trim

fatawa

fatawa

I tried all the lower branches and made clones out of them. I was going to cut any larger fan leaves but wasn't sure how much i should trim
are you still n first 2wks of flip?and yes all big fan leaves also.u want light penetration on new growth spots.these r pre-bud sites.im assuming yur noob just cuz yur asking so i wudnt strip her down naked..but you can strip every branch all the way up to last 4-5" on ea branch once you hav a lil more knowledge.so every big fan leaf is np at all

Top Bottom