When Should I Stop Training Plant Under Scrog Screen??

• Thread starter Scottylove69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scottylove69

Scottylove69

are you still n first 2wks of flip?and yes all big fan leaves also.u want light penetration on new growth spots.these r pre-bud sites
Yes today is exactly one week. She is stretching but not to bad and I wasn't sure how much longer I should be training below my screen or if I should just let it grow now since every branch and bud site are now at the same level. And I will cut fan leaves but if they are connected to a bud same item I should leave them correct?

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

are you still n first 2wks of flip?and yes all big fan leaves also.u want light penetration on new growth spots.these r pre-bud sites.im assuming yur noob just cuz yur asking so i wudnt strip her down naked..but you can strip every branch all the way up to last 4-5" on ea branch once you hav a lil more knowledge.so every big fan leaf is np at all
When you say strip the branches do you mean any of the lower internode on the actual branch that are below the main top bud? That would make sense I just have been limiting my pruning to just while lower branches and yes tgis is my first real grow so tgis is all new and it's like and I'm formation overload espe5because I over research everything, take pictures andnnd keep detail journal so my gf is a little feed up.lol I love this though and considering my space , light and the fact I only had one plant at the time I think I made some right decisions and definitely see the benefits of using a screen even if I didn't do it right.lol I just don't want to undo what I have done so far and wasn't sure what to do next
are you still n first 2wks of flip?and yes all big fan leaves also.u want light penetration on new growth spots.these r pre-bud sites.im assuming yur noob just cuz yur asking so i wudnt strip her down naked..but you can strip every branch all the way up to last 4-5" on ea branch once you hav a lil more knowledge.so every big fan leaf is np at all

fatawa

fatawa

Wen i say strip im meaning literaly every fan and growth.im not saying you shud go 100% full bore on this since it is yur 1st grow,and like u said u dnt wanna trick it off now.but u can "strip" everything below the net(lollypopping) and once u get a lil more seasoned u can strip everything below each top/branch leaving only 4-5" at the very top.u shud b still in stretch wen you do this...i think just the big/med fan leaves is the right route imo just cuz yur experience

fatawa

fatawa

U can do the big fan leaves up to wk4 of flip but then id let her go.let her focus on her fruits.u want her totally focusd on that and not healing fan leaves.

brazel

brazel

This is my first grow with SCROG and since I only had one plant at the time I am using a tamato cage and hemp string tide across it to create the screen. I started tighing her down about a month ago when she was already 12 inches tall. I know I waited a little long but this plant grows so bushy that I never even needed to top her and I also needed to make sure she was a female before I started winding her through a screen. She is now a week into flower and 20 inches tall by 24 inches wide. The SCROG has worked great and every stem and bud site reached the screen due to the training which is great. I should now have nearly 15 top cola's. My question is at what point should i stop bending her down. I kind of wanted to let the main center cola which has been bent over so much that everything else has now caught up but I wanted to let it just grow now seeing as how I'm only using cfls and have the ability to position lights better for different hight buds.thanks for the input. These pics are from today and show before and after me bending. Like I said it's a week into flower and has some stretch so at what point do i stop training below s reen because it's Def working and filling it out well
When it's full.

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

Just lilipopped it as best I can. I took almost all of the lower fan leaves and tool 3 more cuttings and made clones, I now have 8 clones all of which are at different stages but 3 just rooted so I'm learning and doing well.lol I added another cfl today as well as pruning and now tge whole top is full of 17 buds above the screen and only two more almost there all getting at least 3000 lumens using my meter so the new cfl really helped. These are before and after pictures, I pruned alot and wish I did it more spread out but I didn't want to wait any longer as it's week 2 of flower. I hope I did it right.

20171005 155403
20171005 155431
20171005 160308
20171005 162813
20171005 162918
20171005 181621
Enforcer

Enforcer

Not bad. You’re going to want to remove any growth below your net. That stuff will not get any light and will be a waste of the plants energy. This is what you are going for...

6D0B7131 1C32 4650 A996 C70B5376B486
Enforcer

Enforcer

You see how the growth tips at the nodes of each branch have risen up through the SCROG. Each one of those will be stacked buds. Leave those alone, remove everything else.

S

Shawnery

So is going up and over or staying under as you did just personal choice or is there a reason to what ever madness one chooses to follow?

H

heisen

Not bad. You’re going to want to remove any growth below your net. That stuff will not get any light and will be a waste of the plants energy. This is what you are going for...
Those are a little close for my liking personally and I always try and use main branches.why people top the 2nd node on the plant still baffles me when its the main line branches that give you biggest colas.why not top on the 7th or 8th and you will have more main lines and can cut out all that internodal stuff for bigger colas.you nailed the concept but I would not use that many secondaries in a scrog.i would rather have 2 plants or 3 with main line branches than have 1 plant full of secondaries.

All these tops are main lines in a 3 x 5

20171004 225456

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

Those are a little close for my liking personally and I always try and use main branches.why people top the 2nd node on the plant still baffles me when its the main line branches that give you biggest colas.why not top on the 7th or 8th and you will have more main lines and can cut out all that internodal stuff for bigger colas.you nailed the concept but I would not use that many secondaries in a scrog.i would rather have 2 plants or 3 with main line branches than have 1 plant full of secondaries.

All these tops are main lines in a 3 x 5

View attachment 747639
For my plant all of the bud sites are main stems. I definitely could have bend over more to get more secondary sites to pop up but as soon as all 15-20 of my main stem bud sites reached the top of my screen I have now stopped training. I hope I did it right.

Scottylove69

Scottylove69

I have a few more fan leaves I could cut that are below the net but I trimmed so much I didn't want any shock to happen and was going to wait a couple more days to thin it out even more. I also habe 2 or 3 more tiny little secondary buds that are below the screen that were to small to clone so I didn't want to just cut them off and throw them away, I was hoping they could be used for clones in a couple days instead. I woke up this morning and looked in when the lights came on and not only didn't notice any shock at all but I noticed even more growth then normal. I am so pleased with this plants growth and am so happy I already have 8 clones from her. I was trying to figure out the best way to have a better scrog setup for the clones one where I can put the screen lower and also wider as you mentioned before but my closet is only 2 feet wide by 8 feet long and I also am going to have to figure a way to put curtains up in the middle to have one side for flower and the other side for veg. My main problem is I have to be able to move the plant very often and can't ha e a fixed screen so I was concidering planting 4 clones per large tote bin and in each tote bin I would build an independent screen off of it so I would be able to actually pick up each bin separately and be able to move them when nessesary.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I have a few more fan leaves I could cut that are below the net but I trimmed so much I didn't want any shock to happen and was going to wait a couple more days to thin it out even more. I also habe 2 or 3 more tiny little secondary buds that are below the screen that were to small to clone so I didn't want to just cut them off and throw them away, I was hoping they could be used for clones in a couple days instead. I woke up this morning and looked in when the lights came on and not only didn't notice any shock at all but I noticed even more growth then normal. I am so pleased with this plants growth and am so happy I already have 8 clones from her. I was trying to figure out the best way to have a better scrog setup for the clones one where I can put the screen lower and also wider as you mentioned before but my closet is only 2 feet wide by 8 feet long and I also am going to have to figure a way to put curtains up in the middle to have one side for flower and the other side for veg. My main problem is I have to be able to move the plant very often and can't ha e a fixed screen so I was concidering planting 4 clones per large tote bin and in each tote bin I would build an independent screen off of it so I would be able to actually pick up each bin separately and be able to move them when nessesary.
Those are solid plans. I think you got the idea now. I’m glad your plant is doing well. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom