When to start seeds indoors

• Thread starter oosik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
We're in very upper NY. I can probably put them out May 15th if the weather permits but I gotta look at the forecast. That means I'll start indoors around April 1st, but I'll probably get a few Sativas started before that. I mean, here we are at March already......

BDH420

BDH420

Full Moon today. I live in MA and IM starting right this second. lol. Just started germinating the seeds I made last summer from back crossing my Texada Time warp back on itself. I was running low on texada seeds got a beefy terpy male so I kept him got my 4 other ladys full of seed. Now Im stacked on Texada Time Warp seeds. She's amazing for outdoor. super harty does really well here in the north east.
To answer ELectroguys question I use peat starter plugs and a dom and t5 samsung led seed starter lights. I do want to upgrade this setup soon. It was cheap and works good. a heat mat that you can control the temp is also a good thing to have especially if you live in a colder climate area like me.

Last edited:
OldManGrower

OldManGrower

Goof post. I've been growing from seed in a tent, but am tempted to try an outside grow. So I'm ignorant about outdoor growing. Doesn't it also depend on when there is 12 hours light and dark to start flowing? Is May the month on the east coast for 12 light/12 dark? I live in CA and we've had some pretty cold weather for this time of the year which is why I'm asking.

E

elusiveshame

Goof post. I've been growing from seed in a tent, but am tempted to try an outside grow. So I'm ignorant about outdoor growing. Doesn't it also depend on when there is 12 hours light and dark to start flowing? Is May the month on the east coast for 12 light/12 dark? I live in CA and we've had some pretty cold weather for this time of the year which is why I'm asking.

12/12 and later for bloom happens on the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere (different latitudes may have some variation).

There’s also a website that will give you the daylight hours to months so you can plan accordingly based on your location, since the equinox is a “general” approximation (and I’m not sure if that counts twilight hours or not).

BDH420

BDH420

Here in MA i start getting pre flower sight showing beginning of to mid july. GIve or take a few weeks depending on the cultivar. I usefully try to get my seedlings out in the sun around middle of april beginning of May . I harvest mid october the cultivar i grow goes a little long (10+ weeks) due to it having Durban Poison as it dominate parant.

electroguy

electroguy

I dropped my first on 2/5, now I can't stop and their ages are all staggered.
I look back and wonder how big they would be if I had them in my tent with humidity. 3 days and all the new seedlings look like they will surpass the older ones. I would not have planted 17 more in the interim. Life lesson learned, if you have a tent just set it up and then start. I've had the tent for 2 months, and i set it up Saturday. Let the race begin.

electroguy

electroguy

Full Moon today. I live in MA and IM starting right this second. lol. Just started germinating the seeds I made last summer from back crossing my Texada Time warp back on itself. I was running low on texada seeds got a beefy terpy male so I kept him got my 4 other ladys full of seed. Now Im stacked on Texada Time Warp seeds. She's amazing for outdoor. super harty does really well here in the north east.
To answer ELectroguys question I use peat starter plugs and a dom and t5 samsung led seed starter lights. I do want to upgrade this setup soon. It was cheap and works good. a heat mat that you can control the temp is also a good thing to have especially if you live in a colder climate area like me.
Sounds awesome.

grnmtn

grnmtn

We're in very upper NY. I can probably put them out May 15th if the weather permits but I gotta look at the forecast. That means I'll start indoors around April 1st, but I'll probably get a few Sativas started before that. I mean, here we are at March already......
I have a question. You mentioned starting Sativas early? Is that so they grow bigger?

E

Edinburg

I live in CT, we start our seedlings in April and they go out after memorial day, that gives them 2 months to get big enough to handle a cold snap if one occurs, we chop in October.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Excuse the minor deficiency the need transplanting into bigger homes.

the taller plants were cloned Jan 1, and the shorter Jan 20. Seeds were planted back in september and a full bloom has happened to segregate the males.

the real question isn’t when to plant your seeds, but ”how big do you want the plants when they go outside?” The tall ones may be damn near 4 feet when they go outside in early June. It always me to chase the harvest close to an elbow per plant.

if you have the interior space and the gumption the earlier you plant the earlier you’ll know exactly what your working with for the summer. Of course that does require an inside grow set up.

75663F32 7535 4D2D A371 8CEF402C3C39
TSD

TSD

I have a question. You mentioned starting Sativas early? Is that so they grow bigger?
Are you asking that so you can say it doesn't matter how early you start them, they will still have to flower for the same amount of time once they flip after the solstice? Because now you don't have to cause I just did lol. I'm sure there's tricks people use, like flipping to flower before planting... but that's just asking for a reveg or herm if you ask me lol.

Top Bottom