When To Uvb

• Thread starter Dr kabuki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Burned Haze

only uvb is proven to increase thc. Uva benefits are still being studied.

But what I mean is if you fill your spectrum with a better “ gap” (. Y the spectrum gap ) it will proven increase your yields , make your results better zexp for watts vs watts on your main bulb

hints why using just white lights vs white and Emerson & uv a ( way better bud and that’s only 12 more watts )

thats why almost main company use deep red like fluence is using vs just one spectrum

—-

i won’t confirm on if something “ works “ intill at least 3-4 times ran, but man even after 48-72 hours those uvb plants you could tell def reacted to them and they def noticed it, very strong light

Last edited by a moderator:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But what I mean is if you fill your spectrum with a better “ gap” (. Y the spectrum gap ) it will proven increase your yields , make your results better zexp for watts vs watts on your main bulb

hints why using just white lights vs white and Emerson & uv a ( way better bud and that’s only 12 more watts )

thats why almost main company use deep red like fluence is using vs just one spectrum

—-

i won’t confirm on if something “ works “ intill at least 3-4 times ran, but man even after 48-72 hours those uvb plants you could tell def reacted to them and they def noticed it, very strong light

Its the far red that is proven increase growth.

N

Newber

so should u not add UV to a flower room full of hps or cmh since those bulbs produce it already?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Cmh has some uva and uvb but hps does not.
UVA is not usually filtered out by most glass, like window glass and car windows. It ages the skin but doesn't elicit the tanning process, which UVB does. UVB is filtered out by most glass, so quartz glass is used instead, which allows the transmission of the UVB component. Some bulb makers claim to use special glass (low iron) which allows more of it to pass, so I guess there is some validity that the finishing 10K bulbd do give off more UVB. I am going to alternate a 10K and a HPS this flowering session to see how it works out. According to all of the hype, I should get better growth from the HPS and higher THC from the 10K/UVB. I wonder how a 10K finishing bulb compares to a CMH in terms of UVB?

B

Burned Haze

Its the far red that is proven increase growth.
Just because one test says that, does not mean they are correct. I’m seeing multiple viewpoints (not saying your wrong )

a big issue I could see with a “always on” uva/uvb light with your light like a cmh is (vs a led or not integrated ), you really should be using your light at a selected time and amount of time, not the whole 12/12hr and whole cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just because one test says that, does not mean they are correct. I’m seeing multiple viewpoints (not saying your wrong )

a big issue I could see with a “always on” uva/uvb light with your light like a cmh is (vs a led or not integrated ), you really should be using your light at a selected time and amount of time, not the whole 12/12hr and whole cycle.

Look up Bruce bugby at the university of utah. He and his students have been studying lights, nutes and environment in grow labs for many years. Now they have a hemp testing lab and are working direct with medical growers. Also the university of michigan has been testing grow lights for years and there is a lot of info posted.

The sites you posted are there to sell products.

The info is out there. But it is convoluted by retail companies and their advertising sources.

And i would never make a decision based on one test.

Also i totally agree with your point about making gains. A better spectrum does not make more of a difference than good gardening practices, keeping plants healthy and keeping a stable hospitable environment. Need to be dialed in to take advantage of any extras. I will say that these new spectrums with more balanced blue sure seem to keep plants green and healthy better than hps. I have only cmh to compare so far myself though. But you can see all the nice leafy healthy plants online under the boards and such.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

UVA is not usually filtered out by most glass, like window glass and car windows. It ages the skin but doesn't elicit the tanning process, which UVB does. UVB is filtered out by most glass, so quartz glass is used instead, which allows the transmission of the UVB component. Some bulb makers claim to use special glass (low iron) which allows more of it to pass, so I guess there is some validity that the finishing 10K bulbd do give off more UVB. I am going to alternate a 10K and a HPS this flowering session to see how it works out. According to all of the hype, I should get better growth from the HPS and higher THC from the 10K/UVB. I wonder how a 10K finishing bulb compares to a CMH in terms of UVB?

Good question. I dont know the percentages. But cmh was desifned to closely mimic sunlight and the finishing bulb to bring out more trichs so I imagine the 10k has more uvb.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I use a pair of programmable California Lightworks LED and a 315 watt CMH in my room. For the last two weeks of a grow for maybe the past 6 or so grows I've done using the 3 light combo, I dial the LED down on red while keeping blue and white at max output and I change the CMH lamp out for a 10,000k finisher.

I still cannot tell for certain if it increases trichs as in yesterday there was x amount covering this area and today there's x amount more in that same area but it sure does make my ladies stink more and they seem to get saturated in oil more so than when they finished up under a balanced spectrum and a 3100k CMH so the finishing spectra has become part of my routine.

After about a week under the finishing spectrum they can smell so funky skunky sweet loud I'll gag like I'm smelling death and cant even be in the room for more than a few minutes. Then harvest time is just gross with loud aroma.

Prior to using finishing spectrums the harvests were good and stinky but the smell never made me wanna throw up.
I'm also fairly certain this practice is increasing my yields of rosin by a good percentage as my squishin' sessions can yield up to 7 grams for every oz of flower squished and prior I was lucky to get over 4g.

After about 90-100 days of cure the weed is just ruthless potent. I'm tolerant to it but others not so much so they back off the joint after just a few hits. It's kinda cool seeing some weed you grow knock another heavy smoker stoners dick in the dirt 😋

shaganja

shaganja

during last month of veg, i use agromax uva, and eyehortilux power veg uva. these are t5 bulbs. i use these during the last month of veg. to get them ready for uvb, when flower happens.when i first started using these, i didnt have uva bulbs, and just switched to uvb for flower, and they seem to shock a little. leaves curl a bit, like the bulb is too close. but when i use the uva's first, they seem to make the plant a little sturdier, and they seem to transition better. no leaf curl. am trying to simulate the light intensity increasing as you get further into "summer". if that makes sense.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I vegged un
Good question. I dont know the percentages. But cmh was desifned to closely mimic sunlight and the finishing bulb to bring out more trichs so I imagine the 10k has more uvb.
der a 3200K and a 7200K 1000w MH, and for flowering I have a 1000w HPS and the 10K finishing bulb. I plan to swap them back and forth to try to get the benefits from both. I have seen the advantages of HPS during flowering, and I usually use a 3200K MH with the HPS, but I'm hoping the use of the 10K with the increased UVB helps things. I have 5 strains going currently, so it's going to be hard to say which benefitted most.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I vegged un

der a 3200K and a 7200K 1000w MH, and for flowering I have a 1000w HPS and the 10K finishing bulb. I plan to swap them back and forth to try to get the benefits from both. I have seen the advantages of HPS during flowering, and I usually use a 3200K MH with the HPS, but I'm hoping the use of the 10K with the increased UVB helps things. I have 5 strains going currently, so it's going to be hard to say which benefitted most.

Its funny. I compared and combined all my bulbs on known clones one year. I had horti. Super hps 600w, blue 400w, blue 600w (really a conversion bulb) and a phillips 3100k cmh 315w.

There are definite benefits, negatives and clear differences depending on spectrum but after all said and done i keep going back to 2 600w super hps. I have learned to back off the hps during ripening which seems to help keep the buds frostier.

Beadlesprout69

Beadlesprout69

More good news about uvb. Not only does it stress your plant in the good way, it also is so strong, powdery mildew can't survive, and neither can mites, nymph, aphids, etc...I grow from seed, and never had bugs. But my buddy had a triangle kush cut, and I can't say no to holding such an iconic strain. Well, I've never had bugs before. Heard of mites etc...but never had to deal with them. Well, the kush was thick by the time I noticed, and researched em. Spider mites. Ding! Ding! Found it! It spread to a plant I put in the flower room for seed. So it was in the flower room too! Omg....So by now its been in the flower room for a week!! But I didn't realize my uv lights were already taking care of the problem. I scoped the plant, and there are zero bugs alive!!! Nobody is moving!!! There is a couple videos on YouTube showing spider mites dying from a uv light. It took ten minutes. All dead!! No survivors!!! I put another light in my veg room to take care of those. Will update on how those turn out. I have a feeling there is a mite massacre happening in my veg room!!

Very interesting to know, do you run uvb during the full lights in period?

shaganja

shaganja

More good news about uvb. Not only does it stress your plant in the good way, it also is so strong, powdery mildew can't survive, and neither can mites, nymph, aphids, etc...I grow from seed, and never had bugs. But my buddy had a triangle kush cut, and I can't say no to holding such an iconic strain. Well, I've never had bugs before. Heard of mites etc...but never had to deal with them. Well, the kush was thick by the time I noticed, and researched em. Spider mites. Ding! Ding! Found it! It spread to a plant I put in the flower room for seed. So it was in the flower room too! Omg....So by now its been in the flower room for a week!! But I didn't realize my uv lights were already taking care of the problem. I scoped the plant, and there are zero bugs alive!!! Nobody is moving!!! There is a couple videos on YouTube showing spider mites dying from a uv light. It took ten minutes. All dead!! No survivors!!! I put another light in my veg room to take care of those. Will update on how those turn out. I have a feeling there is a mite massacre happening in my veg room!!
When the lights are strong enough to wilt a leaf, why would bugs be immune?

Beadlesprout69

Beadlesprout69

I read a good few years ago about a grower who supplemented his blurple with a uvb for 2 hours during the middle of the day. He swore by it. I run CMH and have seen a difference in thc production slightly with them.

In the UK in the past the max wattage we had was a 60w reptile lamp, they do a higher wattage now.

I'm sure I remember him telling me not to go in the grow room when the uvb light was on as it could be harmful to health.

This is testing the grey matter though, it was years ago on another forum

Beadlesprout69

Beadlesprout69

I remember seeing a lighthouse led light with a uvb lamp mounted in the centre a good few years ago. I think they were from the states but they were incredibly dear.

Top Bottom