When To Uvb

• Thread starter Dr kabuki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shaganja

shaganja

More good news about uvb. Not only does it stress your plant in the good way, it also is so strong, powdery mildew can't survive, and neither can mites, nymph, aphids, etc...I grow from seed, and never had bugs. But my buddy had a triangle kush cut, and I can't say no to holding such an iconic strain. Well, I've never had bugs before. Heard of mites etc...but never had to deal with them. Well, the kush was thick by the time I noticed, and researched em. Spider mites. Ding! Ding! Found it! It spread to a plant I put in the flower room for seed. So it was in the flower room too! Omg....So by now its been in the flower room for a week!! But I didn't realize my uv lights were already taking care of the problem. I scoped the plant, and there are zero bugs alive!!! Nobody is moving!!! There is a couple videos on YouTube showing spider mites dying from a uv light. It took ten minutes. All dead!! No survivors!!! I put another light in my veg room to take care of those. Will update on how those turn out. I have a feeling there is a mite massacre happening in my veg room!!
Just an update. After doing this, THIS IS NOT a sure fire way to kill mites. It seemed to do some damage, but after closer looks, I noticed some survived. I decided to use some bugs to hunt /eat them from arbico. So maybe there is a method to use uv light for mite control, but I think it is too damaging to the plant. Those bulbs aint no joke! If you keep skin under too long, they will let you know!

shaganja

shaganja

Alright farmers, I ran agromax 4 hours a day last season, and I think I gave too much uv for too long. Ran a cbd plant, Harley m.d. and it is not expressing cbd at all! I won't smoke it, because it has an anxiety type sativa high. Like ghost train haze. wish I could send you guys samples of this girl. I think uv can change cannabinoid profiles. Or maybe I have an outlier, but it's pretty crazy this plant is not a cbd plant at all! And half of it is harlequin! Wth?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Alright farmers, I ran agromax 4 hours a day last season, and I think I gave too much uv for too long. Ran a cbd plant, Harley m.d. and it is not expressing cbd at all! I won't smoke it, because it has an anxiety type sativa high. Like ghost train haze. wish I could send you guys samples of this girl. I think uv can change cannabinoid profiles. Or maybe I have an outlier, but it's pretty crazy this plant is not a cbd plant at all! And half of it is harlequin! Wth?

uvb can increase thc but does not increase cbd in tests.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Just an update. After doing this, THIS IS NOT a sure fire way to kill mites. It seemed to do some damage, but after closer looks, I noticed some survived. I decided to use some bugs to hunt /eat them from arbico. So maybe there is a method to use uv light for mite control, but I think it is too damaging to the plant. Those bulbs aint no joke! If you keep skin under too long, they will let you know!

You went to far if you did plant damage. The goal is to use just enough to where you do not cause Visable plant damage. If one sees damage, back it off in both time, and intensity until the damage goes away. It will help control, and kill most bugs, and PM. Its not a 100% cure as we still get both in the sun right??? So nothing is foolproof.

Now UVC will kill everything in the room. One cant have the plants in there. Or yourself. The solacure goes to 280nm which is the line between UVC/UVB, but they use much lower on the UVC to kill bugs. More like 254nm, and SC is strongest at 285nm-305nm. 254nm will roast em.

I start all seedlings under the Solacure all through flowering. No break in period. This can also burn them up.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You went to far if you did plant damage. The goal is to use just enough to where you do not cause Visable plant damage. If one sees damage, back it off in both time, and intensity until the damage goes away. It will help control, and kill most bugs, and PM. Its not a 100% cure as we still get both in the sun right??? So nothing is foolproof.

Now UVC will kill everything in the room. One cant have the plants in there. Or yourself. The solacure goes to 280nm which is the line between UVC/UVB, but they use much lower on the UVC to kill bugs. More like 254nm, and SC is strongest at 285nm-305nm. 254nm will roast em.

I start all seedlings under the Solacure all through flowering. No break in period. This can also burn them up.

Why? Even solacure only suggests using their bulbs last 2-3 weeks. No difference in cannabinoids when tested full cycle vs last 2 weeks.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Sola Cure says to experiment.

Ive spoken with the Solacure guy, and he even says he sees the logic in giving it to them the whole time. Hortilux also makes bulbs targeted for seedling that have UVA/B though not down to 280nm.
My argument is they get uva/b from seedling on the outside. Makes no sense to me not to give it to them from day one is my logic. It stresses the plants from the beginning, though I dont root clones anywhere near them.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sola Cure says to experiment.

Ive spoken with the Solacure guy, and he even says he sees the logic in giving it to them the whole time. Hortilux also makes bulbs targeted for seedling that have UVA/B though not down to 280nm.
My argument is they get uva/b from seedling on the outside. Makes no sense to me not to give it to them from day one is my logic. It stresses the plants from the beginning, though I dont root clones anywhere near them.
From my understanding we dont want to stress them in the beggining and let them adjust.... we want to use it the last 3 weeks ish to stress them and as a stress response they produce more.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Not from my understanding. Theyre stressed from day one in nature.

He also says some use the lights 6-8 hours a day. Youd burn them up on an average of 6-8 hours a day with no break in. Hortilux also saw fit to do research, and then come out with bulbs that target seedlings.

But like I said, they get it in nature. Think the Andes Mountains, at the Equator. They get a tremendous amount of UVA/B all along the equator, and their entire lives.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not from my understanding. Theyre stressed from day one in nature.

He also says some use the lights 6-8 hours a day. Youd burn them up on an average of 6-8 hours a day with no break in. Hortilux also saw fit to do research, and then come out with bulbs that target seedlings.

But like I said, they get it in nature. Think the Andes Mountains, at the Equator. They get a tremendous amount of UVA/B all along the equator, and their entire lives.
No they are stressed and then they adjust and thats easy to see with any indoor plant put outside without hardening off. Some strain will naturally tolerate more UVB etc and that is based on where they originated.

You can't just go by how many hrs a day.... just like any light its the intensity and the duration. So you could have no problem running them 12 hrs or kill them in 10 mins.. its all about the intensity.

Doing things indoor to mimic outdoor generally is a waste. Especially trying to mimic light intensity it just isn't feasible or desirable imo.... why do you think farmers have bumper crop one year and piss poor the next.... we CAN do things much better indoors but not always the case

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Yep, I can give the best of everything inside, and that includes UVA/B, and alot of the benefit is genetic. It wont benefit some strains. Heavy duty sativas, and high altitude strains will get best results. Some say flashing them at certain intervals is beneficial. Generally in nature they get 6-8 hours of strong UVA/B a day.

I run 2 of them at 40w in a 4 x 4 area with 1000w Hortilux HPS, in a 4 x 4 area at 24 inches I start seedlings under 1x 1000w Hortilux HPS, or Gavita 1700e.

shaganja

shaganja

It makes think of black beauty. If I remember correctly, she started as a cbd plant. And something happened in a grow, and she turned into a thcv plant. I tried hunting her down awhile ago, but lady seeds ended up a dead end. I think there is a web design malfunction.

Top Bottom