Shall I keep the MH 600's for a few days, or go straight onto HPS

• Stick with MH for a couple of days

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Get those Red lights in there!

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Hey guys, just a quick one really, plus I'd like to get an idea of how you do your thing.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread so Mods, please feel free to move it about if needs be.

I am very close to flipping my girls, they have a had a couple of months from seed, full alternating nodes, sexed a while ago, just been bushin out with a bit of LST / Tying with Bulldog clips.

Got 6 Sin City Blue Petrols, 2 Sin City ThinMint GSC, 2 Aligee FireDogs and 2 DNA LA Confidentials.

Anyway, all are now in final pots. have had a week or so to settle and now its time to flip those bitches.

Sooo, I am using 2 x 600w Cooltube set up.

My main question is when it comes to flip time, do you go straight from the MH bulbs to the HPS the same day you flip to 12/12,

Or do you keep the MH for first few days of 12/12 then change out the bulbs to the HPS.

Or do you do it differently? I normally change the bulbs the day I get the lights back on for 12/12.

I normally give them at least 24/36 hours in darkness before getting them onto 12/12.

I have read a bit recently about the benefits of MH for the frst few days.

Any opinions and experience would be grand!

Thanks all!

Welsh

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Yup.
I love the 36hrs dark. Gives the photochromes time to affect tissues.
I feel moving to the red spectrum gives the late fall heavy flower response right out of the gate. If we know how to manipulate them, why not?

Yeah thats what I've always done in the past, 24/36 hours dark, then in with the Red lights. Just wondered if many have kept the MH for the first few days of the flip, or if there was any value to doing it? The main benefit I can think of would be to curb that initial stretch?

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

I go straight from MH to HPS. In big rooms with lots of watts I would put half the lights on for the first few days as i'v had major lumen shock. You won't have the problem with 1200 watts. I have noticed definitively that with a 48 hour dark period, the pistls start growing much faster. I have seen them in 2-3 days after flip before on the BC Elephant strain.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Yeah, I drop them in total darkness for 18-24 hours then when lights come back on it's 12/12 with flower lights. Seems to give a very solid 'I'm in flower mode' condition right out of the gate. Also, by the time they are switched they have had some experience with hps reds in veg... maybe a week or so.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Yeah Ive got pistils showing on a few already, just ready for that explosion once they go into dark.

Seems like I may as well just do my normal thing. 36 dark, red bulbs in, watch those girls stretch then fatten.

I love it once flipped. Daily development.

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

They will combat stretching but they wont give the plant hormonal cues for resin production which uses alot of red spectrum. You might beat the stretching but your hurting your trich production. If you want to really be a G... Use both.

The uv spectrums have more effect on tric production than red.
Reds promote longer growth and help signal to the plant what time of the "season" it's in.
Blue light promotes shorter denser growth. As in spring.
Going too far with too much of either is bad. Not necessarily harmful. But not good.
More toward one than the other at different times.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

They will combat stretching but they wont give the plant hormonal cues for resin production which uses alot of red spectrum. You might beat the stretching but your hurting your trich production. If you want to really be a G... Use both.

To be honest mate I dont give a shit about being a G or or not.

I think I'll just play it simples, get them into dark tonight then change out the bulbs for new ones for when lights come back on Friday.

Cheers though man.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

I use the dual spectrum bulbs for the first 2 weeks. Helps with lateral elongation in my experience.
I ditched my dual spectrums.

Did not like them compared to using MH then HPS if I'm honest! Although could be ideal for the first week or so as you said.

Horses for courses though pal.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Right, I guess that was all you read, and not the part about the effect of light spectrums, "Mate". I don't know what kind of pothead manages to breed such passive aggression, and then channels it through a keyboard, but definitely NOT a friendly one. And when you ask for advice, and someone gives you, you be humble about it. You can continue to be a jerk to people, but you certainly won't get far with it. I am sure you don't care about that either, save the snide remark, I am not going to return to your thread to read it.

And @Dr.Trichome You're actually wrong, there has been no consensus reached on the optimum spectrum for cannabis flowering, it is still under great debate and experimentation. In my experience, and through research, I disagree, and I believe that Red is the best spectrum for flowering because it contains the MOST usable light for this phase.

The biggest yields I've seen ever were from Red and blue spectrum flourescents from a guy back on OG many years ago. He pulled over 2g/w

How ironic that you are having a pop at me for passive aggression yet re-read your first paragraph.

Nice one anyway MATE.

I genuinely am not concerned about what weight I pull in at the end. Yield is not a priority for everyone PAL.

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

Yea, I hear ya gyno.
Actually, I referenced red as the preferred flowering spectrum. And as most(not all)of the "G's" pulling weight, quality, and/or both, use red for flower, I think that sounds like a consensus.
And, actually, cannabis has shown an increase in trichome production as a response to increased uv, and timed blasts of light multiple times the intensity of sunlight alternating with rest periods of hid light.
Got 3 things to say to ya kid,
1) my name isn't Dr.Trichome cause it's " cool "
2) pay more attention to what you're reading, and spend less time typing
3) don't change your status from new farmer

Props wizz

DO IT

DO IT

I do the same as kushpiles but I have dimable ballast so I just turn them down for 3 or 4 days to 500 then 3 or 4 on 750 then 1000 from then till I chop.

john martin

john martin

This most recent grow of mine I re-did my room almost entirely and was adding two more lights.

Long story short I was waiting extra, extra long to get my two new hoods and it caused me to delay flipping my plants.

My plants were already much taller than usual, due to me taking so much time between harvests to perform all the upgrades, and due to me waiting on money to come in for some of the upgrades as well.

I ended up leaving the plants in the dark for a solid 6 days in effort to not be vegging them during that time, thus preventing them from stretching.

I can say that when I flipped them, they seemed to stretch less than usual, which was very beneficial in this situation.

They also seemed to flower a bid harder and faster than usual, so there is something to the theory.

Only comment I can make on the lighting is the best yield and quality I have had is from a mix of LED and HPS or a mix of MH and HPS, but everything directly under the MH seems to yield less as compared to anything directly under the LED seems to yield more, but I have not done stand-alone LED.

Dr.Tric's advice seems spot on from my limited experience.

I grow with 600's and even with those I find mixing in MH drastically cuts my yield in flower, which is why I began supplementing with LED instead.

+1 on Welsh's comment above against the hybrid bulbs. They have their percs, but have too much blue (at least in the ones I used) for flower, and have a drastic drop in light output, they also burn out much quicker. I actually took mine out and use them in veg. until they burn out then will stick with HPS + LED.

I think if someone had a ton of HPS with some vertical MH hanging in between every 3 or 4 HPS bulbs, that might be worth a shot, and I would highly recommend the 400W MH Ceramic style over the 600 or 1000w MH any day. I would use 400W CMH without a glass covering to get the full benefits of the bits of UVB they have, which is a good portion of the reason why I think they incease tric. production.

Trick seems to be to mix just a bit of MH, but spread those bits all over the place. Big condensed spots of MH seem to be a waste of time.

Last edited:
Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

Ez to spread our some t5's too. I like single bulbs down the sides of my hoods. It's not so much about the lumens, but it helps with stretching and density. Yes a dark period works wonders. Initiates flowering and gives it more vigor. 36hrs is kinda minimum to get a definitave reaction. Too long MIGHT, mabey, or could cause hermies, i don't make a habit of waiting too long habitually. Rock on bro!

Top Bottom