Which LED's to buy

• Thread starter guymandude
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tlegacy

Tlegacy

Ok. I like my spider farmer s so far. Works good so far for me. I ain’t complaining about what I spent and am growing so far.
This is 100 percent incorrect. The driver drops the voltage to begin with. Secondly, take a look at the official spider farmer wedsite, specifically the SF1000. If you go towards the bottom of the page you will see their lumen chart and the highest lumens is actually created at 120 volts. Just another LED Light Manufacturer miss representing their product. Sorry man but the numbers do not lie. The SP1000 only pulls 100 watts so it is good for 4 square feet.

guymandude

guymandude

ok i gotta say this: I did state that I am getting commercial grade LED"s for my flower room, which would imply that I have a separate veg room. I will not need to switch from veg to flower in the same room. The lights i am looking at are way beyond the Spider LEDs on Amazon.com. There's a huge Difference between the Fluence Spyder Xplus and the Spider SF-4000. please feel free to click on the links so you can see what i am talking about. The FLuence Spyder series is not your cheapie chinese made LED. Here's a link for the Scynce Raging Kush If anyone who has a clue about commercial grade lighting would chime in, I'd appreciate it. thank you

Tlegacy

Tlegacy

What kind of diodes are they using?
ok i gotta say this: I did state that I am getting commercial grade LED"s for my flower room, which would imply that I have a separate veg room. I will not need to switch from veg to flower in the same room. The lights i am looking at are way beyond the Spider LEDs on Amazon.com. There's a huge Difference between the Fluence Spyder Xplus and the Spider SF-4000. please feel free to click on the links so you can see what i am talking about. The FLuence Spyder series is not your cheapie chinese made LED. Here's a link for the Scynce Raging Kush If anyone who has a clue about commercial grade lighting would chime in, I'd appreciate it. thank you

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OP imo the best people you can talk to are the reps. Let them convince you which for your specific situation would best suit ya.

Imo gavitas or fluence the models will depend on your plans for coverage, overlap and height. Spectrum I think your probably informed on but I prefer 3k for flower.

I'm not a professional grower but IME letting the reps answer your questions and dissect your needs is going to give you the most informative info to make a decision. Ask them what makes them better than eachother. Ask them the warranty and service etc. That probably going to be the biggest difference.

guymandude

guymandude

OP imo the best people you can talk to are the reps. Let them convince you which for your specific situation would best suit ya.

Imo gavitas or fluence the models will depend on your plans for coverage, overlap and height. Spectrum I think your probably informed on but I prefer 3k for flower.

I'm not a professional grower but IME letting the reps answer your questions and dissect your needs is going to give you the most informative info to make a decision. Ask them what makes them better than eachother. Ask them the warranty and service etc. That probably going to be the biggest difference.

thank you for your reply! I tried talking to Fluence and they refused since I do not live in a legal state. I was a bit careless in my disclosure, so...... my bad, initially

I have friends running Fluence and Gavita LED's. They all love them The thing about Gavita is they are owned by Hawthorne Group, which also bought out Botanicare and General Hydro. Hawthorne is owned by Scotts/Monsanto.It would take someone a lot of convincing for me to spend a dime on Gavita or Botanicare or Gen Hydro. I just cant do it. Scotts and Monsanto are just friggin evil.

What kind of diodes are they using?
Good question. thank you. I'll be calling SpecGrade today to find out. I would imagine that with a 10 year warranty, they're using very high quality diodes. That being said, my Apollo 8 LED's i was using for veg lasted 8 years. I'll see what i can find out. the more i look at this page, the more convinced i am that SpecGrade is the one to go with...... click through the page below and see what y'all think.

guymandude

guymandude

Another grower told me about Mammoth LED's

those are impressive as well. Their warranty is very impressive, 5 years replace anything that goes bad.

here's information about the diodes.....

here's a comparison between different high end commercial LED systems:

Specgrade is not listed in the comparison, but these lights are very impressive. ''

They are about the only LED that specifically lists UV light as part of their spectral output. I've been on the UV bandwagon for a long time. https://mammothlighting.com/pages/why-uv

I'm of the thought that you should pound your plants in veg with UVb though. My theory is this: Trichome production protects the plants from harmful UVb and UVc. The plant in the wild get the most amount of UV light, (Northern Hemisphere) on June 21st, while the plants are still in vegetative growth. Whereas the amount of UV they are exposed to in flowering gradually fades as winter approaches. so I try to use lights that put out more UV in veg to better simulate the natural world. Anyway, This light apparently has lots of UV light and I love that.

Anthem

Anthem

I did hit up the Fluence rep about their spectrum and I got absolutely no response. Is anyone aware how long they have recommended 6 to 12" above the canopy for light distance? That was a point the rep really tried to drive home.

Anthem

Anthem

Another grower told me about Mammoth LED's

those are impressive as well. Their warranty is very impressive, 5 years replace anything that goes bad.

here's information about the diodes.....

here's a comparison between different high end commercial LED systems:

Specgrade is not listed in the comparison, but these lights are very impressive. ''

They are about the only LED that specifically lists UV light as part of their spectral output. I've been on the UV bandwagon for a long time. https://mammothlighting.com/pages/why-uv

I'm of the thought that you should pound your plants in veg with UVb though. My theory is this: Trichome production protects the plants from harmful UVb and UVc. The plant in the wild get the most amount of UV light, (Northern Hemisphere) on June 21st, while the plants are still in vegetative growth. Whereas the amount of UV they are exposed to in flowering gradually fades as winter approaches. so I try to use lights that put out more UV in veg to better simulate the natural world. Anyway, This light apparently has lots of UV light and I love that.
Your UV thoughts are something I have been curious about with the varies LED lights. Have you found that with UVB and UVC the plant leaf temperatures are changed?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I purchased some timber grow lights. USA manufactured. Cob style. Good luck and happy grows.
Burnz

guymandude

guymandude

I did hit up the Fluence rep about their spectrum and I got absolutely no response. Is anyone aware how long they have recommended 6 to 12" above the canopy for light distance? That was a point the rep really tried to drive home.

i haven't spoken to a rep yet. I have several friends using them and they absolutely love the results they are getting.

Your UV thoughts are something I have been curious about with the varies LED lights. Have you found that with UVB and UVC the plant leaf temperatures are changed?

interesting, i never thought about checking leaf temps. Is this an issue?

I purchased some timber grow lights. USA manufactured. Cob style. Good luck and happy grows.
Burnz

I am running a very nice COB light from BCBLondes and love it. Thanks for the heads up!

Fluence is not going to tell you a darn thing about their diodes. They are owned by Osram, basically they can make anything they want and not sell it to anther light manufacturer.

OSRAM does make some of the best in the world. They saw the potential in Fluence and bought the company. That should tell you something..

If they are owned by Osram I would says it's pretty likely they use thier own diodes. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with Osram.

agreed

They are 100 percent owned by Osram. It even says it on the packing tape the lights come in

yup, they lliked the lighting design and engineering so much they bought Fluence.

I'm seriously leaning towards the Mammoth lights.............

guymandude

guymandude

update: I found out Mammoth has a UV series of their 10 bar light. Reading about this light gave me a huge boner. I think that is the one

Tlegacy

Tlegacy

A new company in California is going partner up (kind of) to help expand OSRAM and it’s distributing., etc.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
More like fluence was bought out by osram.

Tlegacy

Tlegacy

SAN JOSE, Calif., June 2, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- WPG Americas Inc. (WPGA) a subsidiary of WPG Holdings, Asia's No. 1 electronics distributor and OSRAM Digital Systems, a leading global high-tech lighting company, have teamed up to provide a wide range of product and service offerings to their mutual customer base.

With the vast global reach of WPGA, our combined customers will now have more options to access OSRAM lighting components, improve global supply chain and delivery options, and have increased technical and sales resources available to service our customer's needs. WPGA will also expand OSRAM's reach into newer emerging markets such as horticultural and disinfection.

OSRAM Digital Systems designs, develops and manufactures electronics lighting components such as LED light engines, drivers, sensors, lamps and ballasts. The OSRAM portfolio delivers unprecedented performance and reliability and was built upon decades of global industry leadership, experience, and collaborative R&D efforts.

"We are confident that, by partnering with a pioneer like OSRAM, our customers will benefit from OSRAM's innovative lighting technology, today and into the future." said Rich Davis, President of WPGA.

"OSRAM Digital Systems is very excited about the wide array of services this new partnership will bring to our mutual customer base" said W. Owen Webb, Director of Business Development at OSRAM. "WPGA will complement OSRAM's reach into the market and give our customers the choice and flexibility they deserve."

About WPG Americas Inc.

Headquartered in San Jose, CA, WPG Americas Inc. is a member of WPG Holdings, a $17.07B worldwide distributor of semiconductors, passive, electro-mechanical and display products. Founded in November 2007, WPGA is a franchised partner for leading technology suppliers. As a member of WPG Holdings, WPGA is uniquely positioned to offer total solutions to its diverse customer base. WPGA continues to introduce new leading-edge technologies, quality service and design-in focus through its superior engineering programs. For more information, visit www.wpgamericas.com. You can also follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube.

ABOUT OSRAM

OSRAM, based in Munich, is a leading global high-tech lighting company with a history dating back more than 110 years. Primarily focused on semiconductor-based technologies, our products are used in highly diverse applications ranging from virtual reality to autonomous driving and from smartphones to smart and connected lighting solutions in buildings and cities. OSRAM uses the endless possibilities of light to improve the quality of life for individuals and communities. OSRAM's innovations enable people all over the world not only to see better, but also to communicate, travel, work and live better. OSRAM has approximately 23,500 employees worldwide as of end of fiscal 2019 (September 30) and generated revenue of about 3.5 billion euros from continuing activities. The company is listed on the stock exchanges in Frankfurt and Munich (ISIN: DE000LED4000; WKN: LED 400; trading symbol: OSR). Additional information can be found at www.osram.com.

ABOUT OSRAM Digital Systems

OSRAM Digital Systems is part of OSRAM SYLVANIA Inc, a group of OSRAM companies located in North America. As a leader in lighting solutions and services specializing in innovative design and energy-saving technology, the company sells products under the brand names OSRAM, Traxon, ENCELIUM and SYLVANIA. The portfolio ranges from high-tech applications based on semiconductor technology, such as infrared or laser lighting, to smart and connected lighting solutions in buildings and cities. The OSRAM SYLVANIA and OSRAM Americas regional headquarters is located in Wilmington, Massachusetts. For more information, visit www.osram.us/ds.
sounds interesting any more info on that?

Top Bottom