Which LED's to buy

• Thread starter guymandude
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Good to know. You have sure done your homework. Arent you running a v2 hlg lamp now?
V1 3000k. I would like the v2 though I can't justify buying a whole new light for it. Eventually I will add IR and I'm working on trying to get some agromax pure UV bulbs up here but probably not in time for this grow.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have read some recent info that kinda lines up with the MH vs HPS yield comparison you mentioned oh idk maybe a yr ago? While the more blue say for led 4k grows pretty plants with beautiful leaves. A more red leaning spectrum will produce a bigger root system. I mean there is of course a balance and I can't say for certain. But I kinda feel like 3k may be the optimal for all growing phases as for me I wanna grow roots and shoots. Maybe this is why HPS growers are so stuck on them and see a negative when changing Tina different light?

This is only my opinion based on some reading.... I have not tested it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

V1 3000k. I would like the v2 though I can't justify buying a whole new light for it. Eventually I will add IR and I'm working on trying to get some agromax pure UV bulbs up here but probably not in time for this grow.

You can buy a far red strip to enhance flowering.

Example:

Click options for temp or specific wavelength like 650nm or 720nm

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have read some recent info that kinda lines up with the MH vs HPS yield comparison you mentioned oh idk maybe a yr ago? While the more blue say for led 4k grows pretty plants with beautiful leaves. A more red leaning spectrum will produce a bigger root system. I mean there is of course a balance and I can't say for certain. But I kinda feel like 3k may be the optimal for all growing phases as for me I wanna grow roots and shoots.

This is only my opinion based on some reading.... I have not tested it.

Didnt know about the rooting but more red will promote branching and flowering.

And from what i see in pics posted i have to agree with the higher temp led to metal halide comparison.

I will say that a version one with added far red strips would likely last longer from what i have read about the red and uv diodes.

The new budget mars type lights have a lot of blue but added far red. And i am seeing leafier buds.

But too much red is also detrimental. I am seeing more degrading leaf health in mid flower under the ushio hps i am using compared to the hortilux i usually use.

They advertise extra blue in the spectrum but i already think the horty is better.

Unless i get higher yield. The flowers finished under the ushio have been excellent.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Didnt know about the rooting but more red will promote branching and flowering.

And from what i see in pics posted i have to agree with the higher temp led to metal halide comparison.

I will say that a version one with added far red strips would likely last longer from what i have read about the red and uv diodes.

The new budget mars type lights have a lot of blue but added far red. And i am seeing leafier buds.

But too much red is also detrimental. I am seeing more degrading leaf health in mid flower under the ushio hps i am using compared to the hortilux i usually use.

They advertise extra blue in the spectrum but i already think the horty is better.

Unless i get higher yield. The flowers finished under the ushio have been excellent.
I agree there needs to be a balance. I think it also may change the nutrient demands a bit as the spectrum changes growth type changes and so I can see the demand for certain nutrients especially something like calcium.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree there needs to be a balance. I think it also may change the nutrient demands a bit as the spectrum changes growth type changes and so I can see the demand for certain nutrients especially something like calcium.

Im glad you brought that up. I dont see how or why a plant would be needing more of only a specific nutrient. If nutrient needs increase and they obviously do with fuller spectrums and more intensity rhe plants would need more of everything. I just think calcium tends to show first under stress.

My phillips cmh bulb requires more nutes than the t-5 flourescents in my 3x3 for sure. But i just upped the ec to compensate.

Of course with fertilizer i needed to be even more careful to over feed or have salt buildup with the higher ec in the same size pots so i think the opinion of “mag hungry” or needs more calcium is just what we see first. Adding only cal mag would only be a band aid in my opinion.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im glad you brought that up. I dont see how or why a plant would be needing more of only a specific nutrient. If nutrient needs increase and they obviously do with fuller spectrums and more intensity rhe plants would need more of everything. I just think calcium tends to show first under stress.

My phillips cmh bulb requires more nutes than the t-5 flourescents in my 3x3 for sure. But i just upped the ec to compensate.

Of course with fertilizer i needed to be even more careful to over feed or have salt buildup with the higher ec in the same size pots so i think the opinion of “mag hungry” or needs more calcium is just what we see first. Adding only cal mag would only be a band aid in my opinion.
I think it's more complex and depending on the functions the plant is performing can impact the nutrient ratios the plants desire within reason of course. But I do agree those are the deficiencies that show the quickest and most often it's a nutrient ratio imbalance, ph, salinity or availabilty that are the issue. Not the factor of necessarily enough in the media.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think it's more complex and depending on the functions the plant is performing can impact the nutrient ratios the plants desire within reason of course. But I do agree those are the deficiencies that show the quickest and most often it's a nutrient ratio imbalance, ph, salinity or availabilty that are the issue. Not the factor of necessarily enough in the media.

According to all the current nutrient tests the ratio barely changes through all stages. Its close to 3-1-3

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That tissue tests right? I'm curious to see that done under differing spectrum for comparison.

Pretty sure advanced tested under hps and bruce bugby under newest led.

No idea what dyna grow used. Maybe the sun?

Everyones tests show the same basic results with little variability between strains as well.

There will be plenty more info as the universities gain access.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Found my next research topic.

No merit I'm giving this but enough that I should probably try to dig up some info. This was under led with far red added

This spectral combination particularly enhanced the uptake of potassium, calcium and magnesium in comparison to control plants grown under conventional HPS lamps. The uptake of iron and zinc were significantly influenced by the spectral changes of the red and blue light

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Found my next research topic.

No merit I'm giving this but enough that I should probably try to dig up some info. This was under led with far red added

This spectral combination particularly enhanced the uptake of potassium, calcium and magnesium in comparison to control plants grown under conventional HPS lamps. The uptake of iron and zinc were significantly influenced by the spectral changes of the red and blue light

Where is this from? And isnt it funny that they noticed the common deficiencies from going from hps to led?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Where is this from? And isnt it funny that they noticed the common deficiencies from going from hps to led?
For lettuce. Was just the first thing I ran across but enough that I'm willing to spend some time looking into it. Worse case I gain some knowledge lol.

Anthem

Anthem

For lettuce. Was just the first thing I ran across but enough that I'm willing to spend some time looking into it. Worse case I gain some knowledge lol.

I believe Bruce B references the lighting requirements for Lettuce in his you tube video on PPFD requirements. Lettuce max's out on PPFD at such a low amount of light I would question the valid of a test on lettuce being useful to the outcome on Cannabis.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I'm not a big fan of them either, though my current lights (SP-250) use them. I'm happy with them as my first lights, though overall I think the spectrum has a little too much blue for them to really excel as a flowering light.
I’m running as close to a side by side comparison right now with cheese phenos I picked 2 similar from seed plants one is flowering under the sp-250 and the other under a kingbrite with far red and Ir. Been a couple weeks since flower started and already a noticeable difference. Mars works well for veg but needs a little supplementing in my average joe opinion

Tlegacy

Tlegacy

Do you have pics?
I’m running as close to a side by side comparison right now with cheese phenos I picked 2 similar from seed plants one is flowering under the sp-250 and the other under a kingbrite with far red and Ir. Been a couple weeks since flower started and already a noticeable difference. Mars works well for veg but needs a little supplementing in my average joe opinion

Top Bottom