White Widow 400w Grow.

• Thread starter Enforcer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Enforcer

Enforcer

Understand that if the light is too close and if the leaf or calyax temps get to high, fox tailing will occur as well as the heads of tricomes will be destroyed resulting in less densely frosted buds.. Its a great balance! Sorry I forgot what kind of light you were using?
I’m using a 400w HPS in an air cooled hood without the glass. I’m not currently venting through the hood. I have a 12” Hurricane oscillating fan between the light and the canopy, set on low. I’ll check the leaf temps tomorrow with the instant read thermometer, after the light has been on for a bit. I should be ok, 18” is still a conservative distance for this lighting system.

Still a good tip though. Thanks

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Light distance and canopy temps are of some interest. What is the ideal canopy temps for stable trich development? I never thought too much about it. Always under the impression general temps in space ok then cram the light source down as close as possible. Only curious cuz another grower I think could benefit from lowering his lights now that the stretch is done. Don't want to give out any harsh advice.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Light distance and canopy temps are of some interest. What is the ideal canopy temps for stable trich development? I never thought too much about it. Always under the impression general temps in space ok then cram the light source down as close as possible. Only curious cuz another grower I think could benefit from lowering his lights now that the stretch is done. Don't want to give out any harsh advice.
I don’t like to see anything higher than low 80’s on the leaf temp. Essentially yes, you want as much light as possible without burning them. I’ll use leaf temp, back of hand, and the general plant condition to tell me when it’s too close. I only lowered it about 3”. I’m going to go in small increments until it starts to get hot, then back it off a hair. It’s all trial and error.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I don’t like to see anything higher than low 80’s on the leaf temp. Essentially yes, you want as much light as possible without burning them. I’ll use leaf temp, back of hand, and the general plant condition to tell me when it’s too close. I only lowered it about 3”. I’m going to go in small increments until it starts to get hot, then back it off a hair. It’s all trial and error.
Cool man. I just wanted to mention something to another guy. Didn't know if there's a magic number when it came to temps and trich development. Thanks for the info. Liking the grow.

P

PaulBunyon

I’m using a 400w HPS in an air cooled hood without the glass. I’m not currently venting through the hood. I have a 12” Hurricane oscillating fan between the light and the canopy, set on low. I’ll check the leaf temps tomorrow with the instant read thermometer, after the light has been on for a bit. I should be ok, 18” is still a conservative distance for this lighting system.

Still a good tip though. Thanks
No prob homie...
Ya sounds good to me..

Enforcer

Enforcer

I defoliated the canopy a bit as it was getting crowded. I know people have different opinions on defoliation. I wanted to try it both ways. I didn’t touch the last run, and this one I’m thinning out to get more light in. I’ll see when the weight comes in which is better.

The light has only been on for 30 minutes but the leaf temp under the light is right at 80*. I’ll check again in the morning after the light has been on all night. So far so good!

3211F42C 0FBE 42BD A29E 61392818DEC4
7206D74E 8583 4BF0 B0EE 48256E1B86B5
P

PaulBunyon

I defoliated the canopy a bit as it was getting crowded. I know people have different opinions on defoliation. I wanted to try it both ways. I didn’t touch the last run, and this one I’m thinning out to get more light in. I’ll see when the weight comes in which is better.

The light has only been on for 30 minutes but the leaf temp under the light is right at 80*. I’ll check again in the morning after the light has been on all night. So far so good!
Looks perfect bro!

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I think if you do defoliation in moderation and just take what you need to open things up you're golden. If you don't have a lot of fans to begin with maybe just selective tucking of leaves. I'm no expert though. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Your set up looks good. I'm always interested in doing scrog to help support and spread the canopy out, but I'm typically fucking around and shit gets outta hand quick. Hahaha.
It’s really not too bad. For the first few weeks of flower, I just come out to the grow room with my coffee every morning, and spend about 10 minutes weaving and tucking. That’s it.

78*F on the leaf temp this morning. Last night the leaf temp was about 81* but the air temp was a little higher too.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

For my next run... I have a small metal frame with 4" grid. Gonna build small frame and legs for scrog. Also grabbed a 24" round, 4" grid trellis thing I'm planning to attach to a modified tomato cage. Gonna place two candidates under the frame and use the trellis and cage in a single plant. Should be interesting.

Enforcer

Enforcer

For my next run... I have a small metal frame with 4" grid. Gonna build small frame and legs for scrog. Also grabbed a 24" round, 4" grid trellis thing I'm planning to attach to a modified tomato cage. Gonna place two candidates under the frame and use the trellis and cage in a single plant. Should be interesting.
That should work well. I think a 4” square is about perfect. Mine are 2” and they are a little small. If I remember after harvest, when I restring the net I’ll go every other eyelet. That should make 4” squares.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Just because I want to see if I’m getting better. I went back in the thread and pulled a pic of last run around this same grow time. The only differences are, my current run is clones, in #2 vs #3 pots, from these ones grown from seed, and a different nute line. I definitely got the stretch under control better this time.

Question: Do plants grown from seed stretch more than clones?

C587644A 8BA4 4649 B200 3E9895EC0120
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

You downsize container? This may have also played into the less stretch. That or light distance? Not certain about the clone vs seed.

Top Bottom