White widow and a mystery autoflower help plz

• Thread starter Justinb19
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
az2000

az2000

That one T5HO tube is good for the younger plants. I'd have it a little closer. Maybe put the one taller plant on something so it's closer. It looks like it's stretching to the light. The smallest seedling might need to be that distance.

The plant under the LED needs more light. Maybe twice that amount. It would be better if the watts were spread around the plant with more points of light (instead of top down). Then you might only need 25-30w. It's hard to say because it's not in a tent with reflective surface.

EDIT: Do those green seedling cups have drain holes in the bottom?

J

Justinb19

That one T5HO tube is good for the younger plants. I'd have it a little closer. Maybe put the one taller plant on something so it's closer. It looks like it's stretching to the light. The smallest seedling might need to be that distance.

The plant under the LED needs more light. Maybe twice that amount. It would be better if the watts were spread around the plant with more points of light (instead of top down). Then you might only need 25-30w. It's hard to say because it's not in a tent with reflective surface.

EDIT: Do those green seedling cups have drain holes in the bottom?
Yes the green seedling cups have drain holes in the bottom. .and for the one under the led it did have foil on the walls but i took it down as i read a white wall reflects better light then the foil there is also a normal flourescent light in the room would that work if i turned that on also for the day

az2000

az2000

there is also a normal flourescent light in the room would that work if i turned that on also for the day

You could try it. But, light is subject to the inverse-square law. Every time the distance doubles, only 1/4th of the light lands on the light. So, if the room light is 6' away, it might not be much light. (But, it doesn't hurt to try it.).

I was saying I would put some LED lightbulbs (globeless) around the plant (instead of one powerful light on top). The reason is: you can put that light 3" from the leaves. If the light (part of a poweful fixture) is 8" above the plant, it has to go 18" to get to that middle part of the plant. Think about the inverse square loss. (3" to 6" is 1/4 the light. 6" to 12" is 1/16th the light. 12" to 18" is 1/32nd the light.). You don't need a lot of light if you can put it close to the plant. (I think that could be the problem trying to use the room's ceiling light.).

J

Justinb19

You could try it. But, light is subject to the inverse-square law. Every time the distance doubles, only 1/4th of the light lands on the light. So, if the room light is 6' away, it might not be much light. (But, it doesn't hurt to try it.).

I was saying I would put some LED lightbulbs (globeless) around the plant (instead of one powerful light on top). The reason is: you can put that light 3" from the leaves. If the light (part of a poweful fixture) is 8" above the plant, it has to go 18" to get to that middle part of the plant. Think about the inverse square loss. (3" to 6" is 1/4 the light. 6" to 12" is 1/16th the light. 12" to 18" is 1/32nd the light.). You don't need a lot of light if you can put it close to the plant. (I think that could be the problem trying to use the room's ceiling light.).
Yes i can move the light closer to the plant maybe ill get some electrical shop lights (used) with led bulbs
This is my first grow started the plant outside during day then inside at night and then once it got a foot tall i. Set it up inside to flower

az2000

az2000

This is my first grow started the plant outside during day then inside at night and then once it got a foot tall i. Set it up inside to flower

You're doing great. You don't need fancy lights. If grow-light fixture would be easier to use (hang it, you're done.). But, if you don't want to spend a lot (and you can do so DIY things), you can grow *a lot* with just lightbulbs. If you followed the second link I gave, you it links to a plant I grew to flower under LED lightbulbs. And, some how-to documents showing how to set it up.

So, it just depends on how much work you want to do. Spend more, hang a fixture (use your existing LED fixture for side lighting). Or, add some $1.25 lightbulbs around the side of what you have now. (If you're in the US, I can tell you the bulbs/brands I've measured.).

J

Justinb19

You're doing great. You don't need fancy lights. If grow-light fixture would be easier to use (hang it, you're done.). But, if you don't want to spend a lot (and you can do so DIY things), you can grow *a lot* with just lightbulbs. If you followed the second link I gave, you it links to a plant I grew to flower under LED lightbulbs. And, some how-to documents showing how to set it up.

So, it just depends on how much work you want to do. Spend more, hang a fixture (use your existing LED fixture for side lighting). Or, add some $1.25 lightbulbs around the side of what you have now. (If you're in the US, I can tell you the bulbs/brands I've measured.).
How long would you say till harvest with the plant under the led light? It has been flowering for 4 weeks

az2000

az2000

You'd have to watch the trichomes. It should be like any cannabis plant (autos are no diferent). The pistils will turn brown and the trichomes will turn from clear to cloudy, then amber. You have to decide when to harvest. Cloudy is a safe bet, but you can google and read about it. The "when to harvest" will be the same for the auto as a photosensitive plant. Usually autos are harvested around 11 weeks from sprouting. Could be 9 or 13. You have to watch the pistils & trichomes.

Without enough light, the buds will probably be airy. Nothing wrong with that. It will get you high. But, there won't be a lot. More light (good quality light, which your room light might not be) will definitely make fatter/denser buds. (And, it doesn't take *a lot* of light. If you followed that 2nd link I gave you, it links to that 20w/sq ft flowering I did. Those buds were pretty dense for so little light. I think what made it work so well was distributing the light around the plant, close. I don't think it would have worked as well all from the top..

J

Justinb19

You'd have to watch the trichomes. It should be like any cannabis plant (autos are no diferent). The pistils will turn brown and the trichomes will turn from clear to cloudy, then amber. You have to decide when to harvest. Cloudy is a safe bet, but you can google and read about it. The "when to harvest" will be the same for the auto as a photosensitive plant. Usually autos are harvested around 11 weeks from sprouting. Could be 9 or 13. You have to watch the pistils & trichomes.

Without enough light, the buds will probably be airy. Nothing wrong with that. It will get you high. But, there won't be a lot. More light (good quality light, which your room light might not be) will definitely make fatter/denser buds. (And, it doesn't take *a lot* of light. If you followed that 2nd link I gave you, it links to that 20w/sq ft flowering I did. Those buds were pretty dense for so little light. I think what made it work so well was distributing the light around the plant, close. I don't think it would have worked as well all from the top..
Thanks i will figure something out for the side lighting ..dont see much crystal on the flowers yet but has a good smell. After this plant i will be trying a fruit loop strain

J

Justinb19

Is it normal for my plant to still be growing new bud sites at 4 weeks into flower?

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Anybody else notice his tips of the fan leaves rolling up?jw

az2000

az2000

Anybody else notice his tips of the fan leaves rolling up?jw

Thanks i havent got to that question yet still have unanswered questions

I wonder if that might be related to my question about watering around the stalk. (<<link). You said you only do that for seedlings (which I think is a bad idea. But, you "read on the internet.." so who am I to argue with the entire internet?). I see the same irregular soil pattern on later photos of the larger plants. If the roots are hitting dry areas of the soil, it could look like that.

Maybe it's just shadows.

J

Justinb19

I actually am using a meter for watering that i picked up at walmart on this plant
I wonder if that might be related to my question about watering around the stalk. (<<link). You said you only do that for seedlings (which I think is a bad idea. But, you "read on the internet.." so who am I to argue with the entire internet?). I see the same irregular soil pattern on later photos of the larger plants. If the roots are hitting dry areas of the soil, it could look like that.

Maybe it's just shadows.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

I always see not to do that can cause root balls. I always ready outter edge of pots so roots will branch out not be so centered

az2000

az2000

I actually am using a meter for watering that i picked up at walmart on this plant

I water for 10% runoff (or more for protection against salt buildup. 10%'s the general rule.). Doing this, you can avoid dry spots. Sometimes I pour 1/3, wait 20 minutes, pour the rest. That helps it saturate. (The key is to let it dry completely after that.).

Maybe the probe could accomplish the same thing. One nice thing about probing the soil is that the roots like aeration, un-compaction. I do that a lot with a 1/8" aluminum rod (with a rounded tip on one end, and folded over 90-degrees on the other end).

J

Justinb19

I water for 10% runoff (or more for protection against salt buildup. 10%'s the general rule.). Doing this, you can avoid dry spots. Sometimes I pour 1/3, wait 20 minutes, pour the rest. That helps it saturate. (The key is to let it dry completely after that.).

Maybe the probe could accomplish the same thing. One nice thing about probing the soil is that the roots like aeration, un-compaction. I do that a lot with a 1/8" aluminum rod (with a rounded tip on one end, and folded over 90-degrees on the other end).
Yes i actualy never thought of the aeration thing i like it

az2000

az2000

Yes i actualy never thought of the aeration thing i like it

I stumbled upon it accidentally, using a Control Wizard Accurate8 ph soil probe. I was testing the soil ph a lot, and realized the plants *liked* having their nether regions probed.

The ph probe is 3/8" diameter. It seemed excessive. I bought a 1/8" aluminum rod at home depot. Cut it 18" long, put it in a drill chuck, spun one end against a steel file to round that end down. Then bent the chuck end to make a handle.

It may like the larger diameter. More disruption/de-compaction to the soil. But, I think cannabis likes that kind of lightness to the soil.

J

Justinb19

Im
I stumbled upon it accidentally, using a Control Wizard Accurate8 ph soil probe. I was testing the soil ph a lot, and realized the plants *liked* having their nether regions probed.

The ph probe is 3/8" diameter. It seemed excessive. I bought a 1/8" aluminum rod at home depot. Cut it 18" long, put it in a drill chuck, spun one end against a steel file to round that end down. Then bent the chuck end to make a handle.

It may like the larger diameter. More disruption/de-compaction to the soil. But, I think cannabis likes that kind of lightness to the soil.
Considering watering with rain water its raining out so im gonna collect it and try it out

Top Bottom