White Widow - First Grow Basic Organic - Brown Spotting

• Thread starter BigChuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigChuck

BigChuck

I am growing in 1 gallon smart pots right now. Freshly topped plants are showing brown spotting. I had some N deficiency issues that I'm working through with double doses of my ferts.

I'm using Earth Juice Grow right now. Since I came back from a small vacation and my bottom leaves were yellowing I doubled up on my ferts to two tablespoons per gallon. I obviously have some other deficiencies because this morning I woke up to brown spotting pretty bad on some of my higher leaves.

Also, I'm growing in LED and used Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil with 1/3 mix of Perlite. I didnt want to get too crazy with my first grow.

Any suggestions?
Here are a bunch of pics of the leaves, the top new growth, and the plants themselves.
imgur . com/a/xpUy4

it wont let me host images from imgur here so you have to cut and paste the link and delete the spaces around the dot. sorry :(

Last edited:
lazyfarma420

lazyfarma420

I am growing in 1 gallon smart pots right now. Freshly topped plants are showing brown spotting. I had some N deficiency issues that I'm working through with double doses of my ferts.

I'm using Earth Juice Grow right now. Since I came back from a small vacation and my bottom leaves were yellowing I doubled up on my ferts to two tablespoons per gallon. I obviously have some other deficiencies because this morning I woke up to brown spotting pretty bad on some of my higher leaves.

Also, I'm growing in LED and used Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil with 1/3 mix of Perlite. I didnt want to get too crazy with my first grow.

Any suggestions?
Here are a bunch of pics of the leaves, the top new growth, and the plants themselves.
imgur . com/a/xpUy4

it wont let me host images from imgur here so you have to cut and paste the link and delete the spaces around the dot. sorry :(
Pics would help and I personally don't like organic liquids I like super soil mixes u make on ur own that way you knw exactly what's in it if you make your soil correctly all you need to do is water it and watch for bugs and mold go on youtube or look on here for super soil mix recipes guano teas are great to use also for veg and flower also look up thread for guano teas on here

BigChuck

BigChuck

the imgur link at the bottom if you take out the spaces its a link. Its a full album of photos. This forum wont let me post imgur links for some reason

tobh

tobh

Supporter
You need to upload your pics here, it's for the safety and privacy of all members here. Also don't allow external linking to certain sites, imgur is one of those.

I would recommend against doubling down on your nutes. I'm not following that link due to security concerns (not saying you're some kind of hacker, but I understand the inherent risks involved in viewing untrusted media.) but from the sounds of it, brown spotting on new growth is never good. Since you're in soil it will take some time to see improvements. Right now you're just increasing the nutrient content of your soil which is a bad thing. You want to maintain a balance, too much availability of one nutrient will lock out others and before you know it your soil is toxic and literally roasting your roots and the rest of the plant. Since soil takes it's sweet time turning around, by the time you've fried your roots and the top side starts exhibiting symptoms, you're already too late.

I'm a coco guy myself, not going to recommend a mix that works "better" because that doesn't solve your issue. Upload your pics here so we can see what you're working with and we'll work to resolve this issue.

One Love,
tobh

BigChuck

BigChuck

there is no brown on the newest growth, but the fan leaves on the second to last node is where the most brown is. the bottom is all yellowed but already looking a little better since ive fed the double dose of ferts. I will only use a regular dose from here on out but the pot will take 3-4 days to dry out. I had planned on going up to 5 gallon smart pots this weekend but might wait a bit.

20150822 120017
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Do you have any shots of the whole plant?

Maybe a bit of M- going on. To verify that, you can take a 1/4 tsp (i think that's the ratio) to one gallon of water and foliar feed her that. Within a few hours to 24 hours if she greens up you know that's what it is.

Someone more versed in organics will surely chime in here momentarily. While we wait, you can check out this thread:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...r-making-nutrient-deficiency-diagnoses.60485/

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Oh shit lol my bad. Been smoking. A 1/4 tsp of epsom salts. They're looking a hair overwatered too.

A tip on the smart pots, if you can elevate them above their catch pans, you'll get full benefit out of them. I use a couple of pencils and lay them across the catch pan and set the plants on the pencils. Allows full drainage and keeps the smart pot exposed to air on all sides so that it can perform its purpose all around.

BigChuck

BigChuck

I just watered them earlier today. They were dry two inches down when I watered so I'll wait a bit longer next time. And awesome on the epsom salt recc. I'll have to go pick some up tomorrow.

I'll give the pencil idea a shot! Thanks man. I was starting to panic a bit :)

tobh

tobh

Supporter
No problem man. It's logical to panic a bit, you're paying attention to the needs of your ladies though and that's what's important. If you watered earlier today that makes sense they're droopy. With soil, you want to water when the pots feel light. Pick them up now, feel how heavy they are. When they feel light (you'll go to pick it up anticipating weight and nearly hit yourself with the damn plant) then you want to water. Hell, I used to wait till they started to droop before watering because in soil, you can get away with shit like that.

lazyfarma420

lazyfarma420

Heres the best one i have right now. 1/4 tsp of what?
I just watered them earlier today. They were dry two inches down when I watered so I'll wait a bit longer next time. And awesome on the epsom salt recc. I'll have to go pick some up tomorrow.

I'll give the pencil idea a shot! Thanks man. I was starting to panic a bit :)
Why don't you transplant to at east a 3 gallon pot you have so much more room in your tent the epson salt trick tobh is talking about should work to reverse lockout again I must say super soil and guano teas are easier to deal with and more forgiving with the nute burn look into KIND soil it's awesome you mix it with sum sunshine mix 4 and it will last your whole cycle from seed to harvest just adding water
20150820 081806
20150820 081745
20150820 082332

BigChuck

BigChuck

To be honest my plan is to eventually go large container Recirc DWC - I have tw0 23 gallon brute cans just waiting for it. But I wanted to just get to know the plant a little, since it's my very first time growing anything. I am transplanting into 5 gallon pots today, but I'm just trying to keep it simple and not kill the plant for my first time. Thanks for the advice though guys. really!.

lazyfarma420

lazyfarma420

To be honest my plan is to eventually go large container Recirc DWC - I have tw0 23 gallon brute cans just waiting for it. But I wanted to just get to know the plant a little, since it's my very first time growing anything. I am transplanting into 5 gallon pots today, but I'm just trying to keep it simple and not kill the plant for my first time. Thanks for the advice though guys. really!.
Google KIND SOIL.COM it is simple and has everything for harvest and bloom bro

BigChuck

BigChuck

Since you guys have been so helpful. Any suggestions regarding defoliation? I'm not sure what I should trim if anything. I really dislike the larfyy popcorn stuff at the bottom so i dont mind losing the yield, but I dont want to cut bad stuff.

Ideas?

BigChuck

BigChuck

Some new pictures. 3 hours after foliar feeding the epsom salts and the color is slightly better. I posted some pics of how dense these girls are on the inside. Packed with leaves and branches. I wouldnt mind trying some LST or just some defoliation. Most of the plants I see you guys growing in the forums have so much more space on the interior of the plant, and room for things like LST and whatnot. These things grew super short and massively dense. The nodes are less than an inch apart all the way up. That might be normal, but its just not what I was expecting.

20150823 164937
20150823 165007
20150823 165012
20150823 165016
20150823 165044
20150823 165053
20150823 165058
20150823 165122
20150823 165127
20150823 165137
20150823 165219
20150823 165231
lazyfarma420

lazyfarma420

Those girls are midgets bro lol....but I would just trim skinny branches in the middle not fan leaves just branches with small leaves do your fan eaves have 5 fingers yet or no?

lazyfarma420

lazyfarma420

Some new pictures. 3 hours after foliar feeding the epsom salts and the color is slightly better. I posted some pics of how dense these girls are on the inside. Packed with leaves and branches. I wouldnt mind trying some LST or just some defoliation. Most of the plants I see you guys growing in the forums have so much more space on the interior of the plant, and room for things like LST and whatnot. These things grew super short and massively dense. The nodes are less than an inch apart all the way up. That might be normal, but its just not what I was expecting.
Also check out yputube type in small plants big buds it's a great vid for small plants like urs

Top Bottom