White Widow PH keeps drifting down

• Thread starter BabyYodaBubba
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BabyYodaBubba

BabyYodaBubba

My white widow auto is at day 67 from germination. I can’t get the PH to hold in my DWC setup. I did have a problem with nitrogen toxicity. Flushed her for 2 days and cut back on the PPM by cutting back first on the GH micro and now I cut back on the bloom. But checking it again today the PH continues to dive from 6.1 to 5.1. (That was just today). It’s been a constant battle these past few weeks to get the PH to hold. Constantly change the res because the PH falls to dangerous levels. She was doing fine in veg and early bloom.
I’ve searched for root rot and have not found any. Been using hydro guard since day one. I just can’t figure this out and I’m worried I’m going to lose her when she is getting close. Please help with any ideas. Readings below:
PPM average during transition was 585
PPM since I’ve been cutting back is 201
Water temp has been averaging 77F
Average tent Temp 76.6F
Humidity averaging 47.8F
GH Nutes, cut back to 1/4 Tsp per gal for Micro; 1 tsp per gal for bloom

Dr.B

Dr.B

@Aqua Man had a great post about this the other day. Goes into alkaline buffering and all sorts of juicy tidbits.

BabyYodaBubba

BabyYodaBubba

@Aqua Man had a great post about this the other day. Goes into alkaline buffering and all sorts of juicy tidbits.

I will certainly read up!

Dr.B

Dr.B

You know it.. got a green thumb that would rival Harry Potter's wand 🧙‍♂️
Its only because I've been experimenting with just that in my pots, building it into the media. After a quarantine of playing around I either have it or I'm close! Almost time for a new problem... 🤣🤣🤣🤬

BabyYodaBubba

BabyYodaBubba

First off thanks for taking the time to help me out. I seriously appreciate it.

From what I’ve read, I’m missing a alkalinity buffer. Especially because I’m using RO water. My Cal/Mag supplement tells me it’s a nitrate so it is not good as a buffer. Therefore my PH is repeatedly drifting down because of my waters in ability to neutralize acids. Which I’m guessing in my case is my GH Micro.

So my first question: I do have PH up and have been using it after mix my nutrients to the water. Should I be using it before I’m mixing in the nutrients? Maybe as in raising the PH before I mix in the nutrients?

Second question: Can you recommend a good source of potassium silica? I’m looking now at some stores and do see some. But I’m not seeing anything that’s specifically for hydro.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

First off thanks for taking the time to help me out. I seriously appreciate it.

From what I’ve read, I’m missing a alkalinity buffer. Especially because I’m using RO water. My Cal/Mag supplement tells me it’s a nitrate so it is not good as a buffer. Therefore my PH is repeatedly drifting down because of my waters in ability to neutralize acids. Which I’m guessing in my case is my GH Micro.

So my first question: I do have PH up and have been using it after mix my nutrients to the water. Should I be using it before I’m mixing in the nutrients? Maybe as in raising the PH before I mix in the nutrients?

Second question: Can you recommend a good source of potassium silica? I’m looking now at some stores and do see some. But I’m not seeing anything that’s specifically for hydro.
Serious props to you man. 100% on the ball.

Pro-Tek is a popular silica.

In the mean time you can take your RO water and add ph up (I'm assuming it's derived from potassium bicarbonate?) And add 75-100ppm then add nutrients and ph down after if you have to.

What is your source of ph down? I recommend straight phosphoric acid food grade and usually can be found at 85%

Last edited:
BabyYodaBubba

BabyYodaBubba

I’m using GH PH kit. Which I went to look up right now and it says it uses: Potassium Hydroxide and Potassium Carbonate for PH Up
And
Phosphoric Acid for PH Down

My plan for tonight is to make more water. Start by adding PH Up till I get to 75 ppm. Add my nutrients. PH down if necessary.
Should I return to the PPM amount I was at before I was having issues (around 585)? Or should I ease back in with the nutrients?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’m using GH PH kit. Which I went to look up right now and it says it uses: Potassium Hydroxide and Potassium Carbonate for PH Up
And
Phosphoric Acid for PH Down

My plan for tonight is to make more water. Start by adding PH Up till I get to 75 ppm. Add my nutrients. PH down if necessary.
Should I return to the PPM amount I was at before I was having issues (around 585)? Or should I ease back in with the nutrients?
How much longer do you have?

BabyYodaBubba

BabyYodaBubba

About 14-20 days I’m thinking. Breeders informations said 80-85 days from germination. Don’t know how much that info is worth though.

BabyYodaBubba

BabyYodaBubba

This is actually my first grow ever. Chose the auto because it seemed more easier to manage. It’s been a fun experience so far. I’m looking forward to my first harvest. And my next grow.
Again I really appreciate the help!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is actually my first grow ever. Chose the auto because it seemed more easier to manage. It’s been a fun experience so far. I’m looking forward to my first harvest. And my next grow.
Again I really appreciate the help!
No problem. We all have to start somewhere. If you make it to harvest your ahead of the game.

If you post a pic we can see if there is anything we can spot to help ya.

Great community here with lots of experience.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

House and Garden makes a PH stabilizer especially for RO applications......stuff works very well and is super concentrated..I've been testing it for about a year now in RDWC systems. Super concentrated, a tiny bit goes a LONG way!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also curious what air pump and stones you are running?

Top Bottom