White Widow x Purple Haze

• Thread starter 6gears1speed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
6gears1speed

6gears1speed

Over the past few months I've been gaining knowledge and did an experimental Blue Dream grow that wasn't a complete success but I got something out of it. I consider this my first serious grow.

I got my hands on some clones of what is said to be White Widow x Purple Haze. The source says he calls it Pink Widow but that name has already been established as far as I can tell so i just call it what it is, or what i think it is. I can't guarantee the cross but it's all I know. Long story. Friend of a friend thing.

I vegged for 8 weeks and put them into my bloom tent on 3/25/19 along with some Blue Dream experiments. For this thread I'll concentrate on the Widows.

I heavily trained them flat and as you can see the result is three dense bushes. The stems are also very thick. The genetics are robust.

I'm having a miserable time typing as the text keeps scrolling off the screen so I'll post pics now and elaborate on my laptop. I need to check my settings. Pics are from 4/15/19. The last pic is a Blue Dream 3 cola plant in a 2 gal pot. Put it in bloom at 6" for the hell of it.

White widow x purple haze
White widow x purple haze 2
White widow x purple haze 3
White widow x purple haze 4
White widow x purple haze 5
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
@GoodGuy118

Just for reference sake; how much water do you have in your res?

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

Not sure what to do here...
My plants are short and dense because I trained them that way, but I now have colas that are densely lollypopped. The stems go horizontal for a foot or so with no growth then turn up into a dense bunch of thick stems and buds. The problem is that most lower buds have no space to grow into. So, the plant is not lollypopped, the colas are. I trained my blue dream the same way and this did not happen so clearly these plants are a different beast. I like the thick growth but the plant is suffocating itself. The stems are all very thick so I dont want to clip them. I'm considering pulling the larger fan leaves to give it some air but dont want to shock the plants into stunting them. I was thinking to do one of the three as a trial.

Do you think the buds will find their way out of the jungle or do I have to clear things out? In these pics the bunch in the center is a single cola. As you can see there is nice bud growth but they are hidden under thick side stems.

20190416 123958
20190416 123843
20190416 123507
20190416 123421
20190416 123415

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

4/16/19
I decided to experiment on one of the three. I thinned out any fan leaves that were overlapping clogging up bud sites. I hollowed out the center and made some space between colas. I can now see through the plant which I prefer to dense foliage. It's not as pretty but I'm growing buds not leaves. The bud sites are now able to grow into surrounding space and I can actually see them . I will give it one week to see how it handles the shock before deciding to do the other two. I'm at 3 weeks into flower and dont want to do much thinning after week 4.

I also amended with fish fertilizer. If my wife doesn't ban me from the basement due to the stench I will do this once every couple of weeks. 😖

20190416 152726
20190416 162817

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

I didn't need a week to know that these things desperately needed haircuts. When I snipped the first one I found lots of weak pale leaves and hidden buds underneath the pretty canopy. Two days later the leaves looked much better so I snipped them all. They look much better to me now. I like plants to breath.

I learned that this cross needs very little to no training. They are into 4th week of flower and are maxed out at just over a foot tall. I have the next run of 4 growing now and will not flatten them. These look like bonsai weed. The buds are now growing out nicely and dust is starting to form.
20190422 175121
20190422 174936
20190422 174931
20190422 174927
20190422 181557

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

I didn't post up my gear so here it is...

My first tent is a Mars 39x39x72. It's a nice heavy fabric. It is now my veg tent.
My second tent for bloom is an Apollo 48x48x78. It's not as heavy as the Mars but it works.

In the 39 I have a Mars Pro II Cree 128. It has separate growth and bloom switches. I only use the growth LEDs which are blue and white. The bloom switch adds red and creates the "burple" effect. The blue and white runs very cool. Red adds quite a bit of heat but I'm not using it. I will be making another Timber rig to replace this soon. That will have four 3500k Bridgelux vero29se cobs with dimmers. 3500k is a good full spectrum output according to Timber.

In the 48 i have a Timber DIY rig. I bought five two cob kits to fabricate two rigs. This rig is made from an old Andersen aluminum screen window and worked out well. Right now i have three separate sections with three separate dimmers and drivers for flexibility. That may change in the future. In the corners I have four 3500k Bridgelux Vero29se cobs and in the center I have two 1750k of the same type. I use this for bloom only but can unplug the 1750k is i ever want to veg with it. I'll insert a switch at some point. I dont go as far as to measure light output and that sort of detail but I can tell you that this combination creates a very bright and very warm output. I had them at 18" but burnt a couple of plants so now it's at 24" to 30" . Plants are much happier. The heat output is very manageable at around 75 degrees.

To manage air I have a tower oscillating fan in the corner that blows across the plants. I have two clip fans blowing across the heat sinks with another blowing into the rear heat sinks for extra cooling and air movement. finally, i have an AC Infinity T6 system. It includes a fan controller with various functions. I also have an AC Infinity filter that is currently disconnected. The system moves a lot of air. I use it with a Y to move air out of both tents. It's always on so I can do that. Both temps are good and air comes in from the bottom tent vents. This fan caves in both tents on full power. I run it at 6 or 7 out of 10. It's real purpose is for av use but it works great in this capacity.

For soil I started with fox farms ocean but that's too expensive so i moved to pro mix and coco coir both from lowes. I started with the fox farm fert combo but that is also too expensive. I have some jr Peter's blossom fert which is much cheaper and much easier to apply. I like that I can apply to the leaves before flowering which works well. I'm not sure really an organic grower right now so I dont mind. I need things to be easy or it feels like work and if it feels like work I will quit my hobbies . I will continue experiment with the many choices available. I also have some fish fert also from lowes.

This all runs on a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp Tripp Lite power conditioner and surge protector.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading.

20190423 180500
20190423 180553
20190423 180602
20190423 180722
20190423 180655
20190423 180709

20190423 180818
20190423 180749
6gears1speed

6gears1speed

Into week 5 and stems are really starting to beef up with buds and an abundance of sugar leaves. The buds and sugar leaves are starting to intertwine. My blue dream are much different. They have clusters of buds separated by far fewer leaves. You can see them in the rear of the last photo. By the time I harvest, the stems will be include dense clumps of inseparable buds and sugar leaves. They are starting to dust up nicely. These things are THICK.

20190501 173517

20190501 173423

20190501 173129

20190501 172911

20190501 172901

20190501 172704

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

This Is my blue dream. You can see the difference between these and the widow p haze. Buds are big and fluffy vs dense and smaller. Fewer sugar leaves intertwined with the buds. The plant on the right is into week 5 and the left week 4.

20190502 141934

20190502 141717

T

The Canadian

Are you running c02?

It would be sweet if you posted some info, like water/feeding stats environment stats etc..

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

No co2 but I have strong ventilation. Both tents are in a dark room with no windows so I can keep the vents on the bottom of the tents open. The AC Infinity inline fan is quite powerful and pulls a lot of fresh air into the tents. Inside the tents are several fans to move the fresh air around

I dont keep stats, schedules or logs. I'm just an old fart vegetable gardener doing this for a hobby. If I get into too much detail it will feel like work and I'll quit. I won't get the same result as I would if I got serious about it but I think I'll do ok. About the only thing I somewhat schedule is water. Every 5 days I pick up the fabric pots and when they feel light I soak them starting from the bottom up. I place them into a tray and pour water into the tray. It sucks it up like a wick and then I pour more in from the top which minimizes runoff. I was testing ph for a while and it was always at about 6.7 so I dont even check anymore. I think the pro mix keeps things tight.

For nutes I rotate what's on my shelf at the appropriate times.
Bone meal
Blood meal
Epsom salt
Fox farm trio (phasing out due to high cost)
Pete's classic (spray leaves often in veg)
Pete's blossom booster
Mollasis
Sledgehammer for flush or just plain water
Soil is pro mix plus coconut coir and extra perlite
I'll be adding and experimenting with more nutes as I go forward. This is my first real grow. I did a test grow and learned a few things.

During light the bloom tent runs at about 73f to 75f. During dark it runs at about 62f which may help bring out the purple. Low temp will go up during summer. In my veg tent its cooler as I only use blue and white light. It works quite well.

Below is a shot of my veg/clone tent.
Blue dream
OG #18 (private reserve)
Widow x p haze
Jack Herer
Green crack
Gelato 33 and Gorilla glue on the way.

Thanks for the interest.

20190514 154447

T

The Canadian

No co2 but I have strong ventilation. Both tents are in a dark room with no windows so I can keep the vents on the bottom of the tents open. The AC Infinity inline fan is quite powerful and pulls a lot of fresh air into the tents. Inside the tents are several fans to move the fresh air around

I dont keep stats, schedules or logs. I'm just an old fart vegetable gardener doing this for a hobby. If I get into too much detail it will feel like work and I'll quit. I won't get the same result as I would if I got serious about it but I think I'll do ok. About the only thing I somewhat schedule is water. Every 5 days I pick up the fabric pots and when they feel light I soak them starting from the bottom up. I place them into a tray and pour water into the tray. It sucks it up like a wick and then I pour more in from the top which minimizes runoff. I was testing ph for a while and it was always at about 6.7 so I dont even check anymore. I think the pro mix keeps things tight.

For nutes I rotate what's on my shelf at the appropriate times.
Bone meal
Blood meal
Epsom salt
Fox farm trio (phasing out due to high cost)
Pete's classic (spray leaves often in veg)
Pete's blossom booster
Mollasis
Sledgehammer for flush or just plain water
Soil is pro mix plus coconut coir and extra perlite
I'll be adding and experimenting with more nutes as I go forward. This is my first real grow. I did a test grow and learned a few things.

During light the bloom tent runs at about 73f to 75f. During dark it runs at about 62f which may help bring out the purple. Low temp will go up during summer. In my veg tent its cooler as I only use blue and white light. It works quite well.

Below is a shot of my veg/clone tent.
Blue dream
OG #18 (private reserve)
Widow x p haze
Jack Herer
Green crack
Gelato 33 and Gorilla glue on the way.

Thanks for the interest.

View attachment 870558

Thanks for all the details, I am really interested because I think they all look really good. Figured I could learn a trick or two from you. Maybe the secret sauce is growing more then just cannabis and becoming a better gardener all around. Im gonna have to start a vegtable garden lol.

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

Week 7 three plants. Sledgehammered them and water from here on. Will pull up by roots, rinse roots and three days in a bucket of water before cut. Small yield but nice buds. Next time will be twice the yield. I had lights too low for 5 weeks.

I can see why he calls them pink widow...

20190514 220101

20190514 220116

20190514 220101

20190514 214433

20190514 214418

20190514 214357

20190514 214334

6gears1speed

6gears1speed

A quarter sized test bud top and bottom. Still drying. Will trim finished big buds tighter. Hitting them with uv now to hopefully increase trichs. This is gonna be very pretty purple weed.

20190517 205818

20190517 205854

Top Bottom