Who grows SOUR DIESEL? I Have a question!

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Hey farmers, I currently have a cut of Sour that yields heavy but will not produce an odor. I have read other's posts and it seems I was just given a shitty, watered down cut but I question that because I get a heavy Diesel smell from rubbing the stems/stalks, does that mean anything?

I let one batch of this Diesel run for 12 weeks in flower (soil) and dropped the temps so low they slightly purpled up and had a minor fruity smell when agitated but I'm almost certain it wont hold through the drying process.

Is it possible that I'm not getting an odor do to a lack of a specific nutrient? I just switched to organics when I started these Sours and do not normally have deficiency (thanks CAP), but I may still have an incomplete organic program. How strongly does Nitrogen play in producing odor? Any other ideas?

BTW, I hit these heavy with sugars (Molasses & Banana Mana) and the smoke is potent and as smooth as ever!

Thanks,
GR33N

sky high

sky high

I think you hit it with your first comments. My belief is that the smell is either there..or it isn't. No nutes will draw out what isn't present in the first place.

12 weeks in soil should have given you your due, IMO. That sucks. I hate it when that happens

at least it smokes smoothe. Could be worse!

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

it's most likely your cut, because the ECSD clone reeks.
That was my initial conclusion - I just thought it was weird the amount of odor I get from them when working with the clones or thinning/pruning.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Sour D is such a weird strain! I have a cut right now that I love, absolutely soaring and no ceiling whatsoever, but it doesn't start putting on smell until week 5 or 6. it gets pretty stinky, but the smell is hard to hold through the dry/cure.

when you're in veg, do you prime them at all for flower? I like to start getting lots of sugars into the soil right before I go to bloom. I used to use mag sulfate products pretty heavy in flower but found those to leave a good bit of taste in dried stuff, so I've been going a lot lighter but "priming" my veg plants the week before flower w/ mag sulfate. I think this in combo with Primordial Solutions helps put on alot of smell, as early as day 15-16. My plants usually stink when I'm moving them into flower, and i've usually got pistils being thrown from tops 4-5 days in.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

GR33NL3AF: I am not sure if you have the cut of sour diesel, but its possible. I have grown her for many, many moons and she will reek and put your house on the map. One thing that can hinder the diesel from growing and smelling proper is the use of co2. If you are using co2 then your diesel will never finish, never fully nug up proper, and not produce that awesome sour skunk smell. I am sure that sounds counter-intuitive but trust me. When I first started smoking the sour I tried and I tried to get the cut but the people who had it would not give it to me, not matter how hard I tried. Eventually, a different homie of mine from MT got his hands on her, he is one amazing grower btw, but I was convinced that his cut was bullshit cause it did not smell like the sour i hold so dear to my heart. A few months later I got my hands on the cut, we grew essentially the same since I gave him the backbones to his grow the only difference is that he incorporated co2, I did not. When mine was finished it was so obvious that I had grown the diesel that I love so much and it became clear after many other grows that co2 was the culprit of killing flavor and smell in the diesel. I also suggest growing her in coco, if you can or don't already.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

GR33NL3AF: I am not sure if you have the cut of sour diesel, but its possible. I have grown her for many, many moons and she will reek and put your house on the map. One thing that can hinder the diesel from growing and smelling proper is the use of co2. If you are using co2 then your diesel will never finish, never fully nug up proper, and not produce that awesome sour skunk smell. I am sure that sounds counter-intuitive but trust me. When I first started smoking the sour I tried and I tried to get the cut but the people who had it would not give it to me, not matter how hard I tried. Eventually, a different homie of mine from MT got his hands on her, he is one amazing grower btw, but I was convinced that his cut was bullshit cause it did not smell like the sour i hold so dear to my heart. A few months later I got my hands on the cut, we grew essentially the same since I gave him the backbones to his grow the only difference is that he incorporated co2, I did not. When mine was finished it was so obvious that I had grown the diesel that I love so much and it became clear after many other grows that co2 was the culprit of killing flavor and smell in the diesel. I also suggest growing her in coco, if you can or don't already.

that would explain alot! I use c02 and am always wondering why it takes this 4 or 5 weeks of flowering to really start kickin on smell:
SoCoSour1

I'm running my co2 lower this run, 1000-1200. We'll see if that helps!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Sanvana,did you try reducing greatly or cutting out completely the co2 during the last 3-4 weeks of flower?Alot of folks around me do this,just a thought.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

that would explain alot! I use c02 and am always wondering why it takes this 4 or 5 weeks of flowering to really start kickin on smell:View attachment 273450

I'm running my co2 lower this run, 1000-1200. We'll see if that helps!
Where is your CO2 normally? Thats usually where I sit.

The frost on that Diesel cut is WAY heavier then on mine, even when I ran pure organics with heavy sugars, I wont see resin on the fan leafs... This last round (12 weeks) I cut CO2 out the last month! The only problem in that room is the PPM are staying up even with the controller off, in a sealed room, kinda weird. Well I fudged up and put the strain in 3 other rooms before I finished her out, WAY too much trust, so now I have to live with it. I will experiment a little with CO2 but at this point I feel it is a lost cause and would like to just produce more cause it's already going to sell for cheap, if at all... She does produce heavy though, I pulled 14 elbows from a 6 lighter by chopping tops first, secondary buds a week later, and lowers the following week. I dropped temps with each chop.

Thanks guys!
GR33N

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Yeah guys its the co2 for sure, stop it and I promise you will be thanking me. I have cut the co2 on the last few weeks and it surely helps, I just really want that funky skunky diesel and no co2 has proven time and again to give it to me that way. I have some photos I will try to post up a little later. Sour is still the heaviest producing flower in my room, topping 1.5 per, I love her!

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

that looks like her to me. One other thing is that since sour d is a strain close to the equator it enjoys warmer temps than average. At the very end of flower I will bump the temp to 82-85......so long as i have the neighbors that can deal with the smell.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

that looks like her to me. One other thing is that since sour d is a strain close to the equator it enjoys warmer temps than average. At the very end of flower I will bump the temp to 82-85......so long as i have the neighbors that can deal with the smell.

You've actual found that increasing the temp will help her finish? I've seen product go to shit when the finishing temps are above 80. I played it safe with that grow and dropped them all the way do to the high 50's.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

You've actual found that increasing the temp will help her finish? I've seen product go to shit when the finishing temps are above 80. I played it safe with that grow and dropped them all the way do to the high 50's.
Yeah again this is strain specific and I would be careful from trying it on any other strains. I have been working with this strain for a few years and this suggestion actually comes from the only other guy who's diesel smells as good if not better than mine, and it works. Again though, if co2 is used I am sure hot temps will only cause fox tails and not the stink that you are looking for. I know this must sound crazy, "dont use co2, have high temps at the end", its just these are some serious observations and I have done tests and the proof is totally in the pudding. My friend that used the co2 with the diesel, it took him about 1 year to get over his ego and realize that his "sour weasel" could actually be sour diesel by unplugging that expensive co2 burner. Stay away from very low temps with sour, the flavor can get funky. I used to let my rooms get super cold 40 and below just to see the effects and of course the indicas loved it (bubba, purple kush, master kush), but my sativas hated it. The sour would get purple if left for a super long time and it would not smell as desirable.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Yeah again this is strain specific and I would be careful from trying it on any other strains. I have been working with this strain for a few years and this suggestion actually comes from the only other guy who's diesel smells as good if not better than mine, and it works. Again though, if co2 is used I am sure hot temps will only cause fox tails and not the stink that you are looking for. I know this must sound crazy, "dont use co2, have high temps at the end", its just these are some serious observations and I have done tests and the proof is totally in the pudding. My friend that used the co2 with the diesel, it took him about 1 year to get over his ego and realize that his "sour weasel" could actually be sour diesel by unplugging that expensive co2 burner. Stay away from very low temps with sour, the flavor can get funky. I used to let my rooms get super cold 40 and below just to see the effects and of course the indicas loved it (bubba, purple kush, master kush), but my sativas hated it. The sour would get purple if left for a super long time and it would not smell as desirable.

Allright I'm on it! Thanks

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Good luck, I am sure you will be stoked!

Question...
If my sour's are starved of N will I miss out on smell? I'm new to organics and may have not fed them enough. If the plants are showing signs of N deficiency 2-3 weeks before harvest will my odor take the hit?

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Question...
If my sour's are starved of N will I miss out on smell? I'm new to organics and may have not fed them enough. If the plants are showing signs of N deficiency 2-3 weeks before harvest will my odor take the hit?
no i don t think so, although just for future info i user more n than normal on sour, usually through week 3 of flower

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

no i don t think so, although just for future info i user more n than normal on sour, usually through week 3 of flower

Mine are nitrogen deficient right now, at day 26 and staaaaanky!
I had the lights too low and they stressed...been having a hard time taking up N since the flip. They're still feeding with at least 2ml/Gal PBP Grow at week 4, but i wouldn't feed much more N than that past week 5.

but ya, once they're past week 3 i don't think N deficiencies are gonna slow a plant down too much, i've never tried very hard to correct it in the last half of the cycle...when plants are a little N deficient the flush is way better and the flowers come out tastier.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Mine are nitrogen deficient right now, at day 26 and staaaaanky!
I had the lights too low and they stressed...been having a hard time taking up N since the flip. They're still feeding with at least 2ml/Gal PBP Grow at week 4, but i wouldn't feed much more N than that past week 5.

but ya, once they're past week 3 i don't think N deficiencies are gonna slow a plant down too much, i've never tried very hard to correct it in the last half of the cycle...when plants are a little N deficient the flush is way better and the flowers come out tastier.

What about the opposite? Nitrogen toxicity effect aroma?

Top Bottom