Who wants to kill some root aphids?

• Thread starter Onespark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
eyecandi

eyecandi

no H2o2 for me, I like a very living soilmass and the H2o2 will kill the bennies and can put the plant into hard shock/stress. I've already started dealing with the mites ... 2 spotted and reds ... little bastards got hit with the Py as well (love the new fogger. saves a LOT of time and material :) ) and seems to have knocked em back for now as I restart the warm weather regimen. I'm getting a sample of the M52 today and will immediately put it to use on the flowering girls ..... hoping to get em under control there now and reverse some of the initial damage for a better end crop (especially the OGKs .... they look so unhappy compared to the others).

T

treehugger

Are you using H2o2 at all Ecandi? If the Met is working, I'm going to test to see if H202 is compatible. I haven't used it until recently but seems to greatly assist in the health of the roots after being attacked by RA's. BUT I understand it (H2o2) basically wipes out Bene's in the root zone. Met is a microbial spore so I have not been using the H202 in my Met containers.

H2O2 will destroy your spores faster than it will kill bugs, don't use it in conjunction with any biological insect controls.

altimood

altimood

Thanks TH. No need to waste any spores so thanks for that info. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I do not think the Met is to be used in conjunction with any other fungicides. I don't know what this means for miccorhizae. More questions...Miccorhizae is a beneficial fungi. Botaniguard is a fungicide. Is there a difference? I'm not a plant biologist and don't know what the effects would be on beneficial fungi. Just read on the label this this product is not to be used in conjunction with other fungicides. HMMM. TH?

eyecandi

eyecandi

Onespark was kind enough to drop off a sample to test as well (THANK YOU!!). I asked for a few 'volunteers' and dropped @ 6 of them into a small container with a couple grains of the Met52. hopefully should see come quick results.

1 grain. you can see one of my volunteers in the upper right
IMG 0135

what my seedling cups look like after the douche (Py + Triaz), and @ 2days after re-inoculating with bennies. just to the left of center, you can see a small fungal mass by itself kinda ... that was a root aphid .....
IMG 0125

M

max_well

Wow this would be a real game changer if it works... I'm so tired of thinking about these pests! Application rate is ~1 kg per cubic meter of medium (~ a pound per 120 gallons).
Here is a spot that Canadians might be able to order it (10 kg), with some label and msds info

Please keep us posted on how the trials go, and how it might be possible to obtain some stateside!
Max

altimood

altimood

Update

After two days I went back in for a look on my met sample in the food storage container with big hopes of taking pictures of dead root aphids. To my surprise I could only find 2 crawling, one of which was winged. Beyond that, I couldn't even find an identifiable carcass. All my test plants are looking good. That's it for now...

eyecandi

eyecandi

After two days I went back in for a look on my met sample in the food storage container with big hopes of taking pictures of dead root aphids. To my surprise I could only find 2 crawling, one of which was winged. Beyond that, I couldn't even find an identifiable carcass. All my test plants are looking good. That's it for now...

I couldn't find a single live one in my volunteer group either last night ... although, I couldn't find the dead ones either and they couldn't have escaped. I'll have to dig into the rubble a little more.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Could the fungus have consumed their little bodies entirely? If so... YAY!!!!

H

humananimal

i also have used excite-r and saw promising resulst at first but now after using for about 3 weeks it seems that in flower r/a's are rebounding. in veg things still look hopefull. the difference is that if veg i have used spectracide/excite and also spectracide/aciphate. neither of which i would use in flower. maybe it has to do with the excite "boosting" the others.
i had pretty good results with azamax in flower earlier on. it didnt wipe them out though. i believe seamaiden had similar results with it.
im wondering if the excite might get the azamax over the hump and if anyone has tried this combo?

altimood

altimood

I think my bugs turned into crust balls. Don't see how 50 to 100 ra's just disappear. Waiting to hear from Eyecandi on his little volunteers. BTW, nice pics Ec.

M

max_well

thanks for keeping us updated ...
Here's a paper outlining some trials on different ag pests using Met52

Last page says "registered in USA and Holland"..., this from 2008-- I really hope this is a viable help for management of RA that doesn't require steady chemical dumping.. I've read that it is compatible with Imidicloprid, and I assume it would also be fine in conjunction with pyrethrin. If effective, it seems like a treatment like this with inoculation ahead of transplant could really limit the foothold of the RA.. and the literature suggests the mode of action would not be susceptible to a resistance build-up. fingers crossed that reports come back positive

altimood

altimood

As pleased as I am with what I'm seeing here, it's going to take a run for me to be convinced. The following plants are also supported by Met 52 and we'll watch them through flower.
IMG00039-20110605-1846.jpg

mail-11.jpeg

14 of these Pink Bubble Romulan plants contain the Met, and the rest do not. (starting from the end of the row)

This is the Sour D that was fully infested and seems to be doing just fine.
IMG00038-20110605-1833.jpg

I expect good results at this point, but I want to be absolutely sure after such a long struggle... KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN'!?!:yes
BTW, Previously I stated residual effects could last up to 90 days. That was incorrect as this stuff can kick ass for 9 months. My bad.

altimood

altimood

thanks for keeping us updated ...
Here's a paper outlining some trials on different ag pests using Met52

Last page says "registered in USA and Holland"..., this from 2008-- I really hope this is a viable help for management of RA that doesn't require steady chemical dumping.. I've read that it is compatible with Imidicloprid, and I assume it would also be fine in conjunction with pyrethrin. If effective, it seems like a treatment like this with inoculation ahead of transplant could really limit the foothold of the RA.. and the literature suggests the mode of action would not be susceptible to a resistance build-up. fingers crossed that reports come back positive
Awesome info M_W! The date of that paper holds personal significance for me, too. Kind of weird. But that was truly inspiring, and the pictures hold some weight as to why I can't identify any bugs. I'm getting pretty stoked here. Thanks buddy!:)

eyecandi

eyecandi

max_well - excellent find!

well, I could only find 2 volunteers, both dead. can't see it as well in the pic, but under the 100x handheld I can see something that looks like it's growing on the shell in a couple places (doesn't look like the other pic though), can't be 100% yet .... but I'll keep looking at it over the next couple days to see if it evolves. I went ahead and used 1/3cup per 5gal as a top dressing (loved seeing the little F'ers crawl on it ... muahahahhahaha .... yes ... yes ... get coated well my friends .... ), went 1/2 and 1/2 on a couple tables for controls, that are showing signs.

it's the best my 4x digi with 30x loop could do. (still looks good, just wish i could get in all the way)
RA Met52 Test 1

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That looks just like a tick, except with six legs.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

A little FYI , I just annihilated my root aphid problem using MALLET( I used the liquid version) its systemic and safe for vegetables under $100 for a bottle used it at 4 mils a gallon. Didn't hurt or stress my plants at all an they are in flower. I used it in my soil ,ebb n flow and drip systems with no adverse effects. Got it at chlorophyll in Denver off 38th ave.

Onespark

Onespark

Great info Max-Well. Thanks for putting that up. Looking good guys! I am super stoked on this Met 52 now. I crown fed it in the RDWC and it colonized the whole top of the cubes and in the rocks in four days. I put it in a bunch of soil plants like you guys did and I am finding NO RA's after two weeks. I stopped H2O2 so I wouldn't kill the spores. I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It costs $1 to treat a plant in a five gallon bucket with Met and $3 to treat an infested plant in a five gallon bucket. You can treat 880 five gallon buckets with a 22 LB Bag. YAY:party0042: I am going to incinerate the Botaniguard.

There is one source in Colorado. Anyone needs this PM me and it will be yours.

Eyecandi - Thanks so much for helping out here. Your input is greatly appreciated and I loved meeting you and your peeps. I am a fan of your sweet tarantula and I will be popping them Durban X WW beans you threw my way with the quickness too! Your Durban is bad to the bone. Thanks bro!!!!

M

max_well

Some light at the end of the tunnel sounds great... the tunnel really has been made dark by these pests-- seems to have had many a grower confused and second guessing, myself included. Probably many more out there infected with RA that are pulling their hair out trying to diagnose deficiencies, not knowing what is causing all of their issues at the root.
Do please keep us posted on the developments as they progress, this sound very promising

S

sokalkush

Hey guys any of this stuff available in southern Cali yet?

Top Bottom