Who wants to kill some root aphids?

• Thread starter Onespark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DoobyScoo

Thrive Anywhere.

Never seen root aphids is this only a hydro grow problem!?

They can thrive anywhere with the absence of natural predators.
Roots Coco they have been most prevalent but then started showing up in FFOF, too.

With a good SFW, the bastards are stopped in the larval, pupae stage. Hence many people may have them in soil and not notice because the SFW is in balance. Eventually, when stopped in the early stages, they don't get the chance to make it to reproductive stages.

If you have been making your own local soil, then you are much safer...As I think they are being brought in from OR & CA.
After I go through these next two bags of FFOF, I ain't buy more, got fungus gnats off the FFOF, but a little Mayan Microzyme and I ain't seen anymore, and light spray of Mite-Rid on surface.
My RA came from Roots Soilless Coco.
Spotted them in the larval stage and sytemic Azatrol stopped it, but I scrapped my E&F hyrdroton anyway.

Going soil, recycling, all the way now.

D

DoobyScoo

I really miss the old days when bandwidth was a precious commodity, and wasters like you were ostracized from the boards by those who knew better...

Talking to yourself in the mirror again, eh?
You sound like a pimpled-faced teenager, just looking for a rise outta anybody.
I vote for a BAN, unless your ass can produce some facts!

Really, if you want to play drama, go to spICy MAG. I'll turn you on to the right threads where we can cause trouble all day long.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was actually thinking along similar lines. After I read the article, I was thinking, could there be a more clear cut case of "opportunistic infection"? It took hold on people who had cuts and other injuries and were already sick.
Ok, so, while I still have bugs in my eyes, the first thing *I* thought about was the fact that livestock infertility is tied to stock fed with feed that's been grown on fields where glyphosate has been used, the commonality in all animals being an organism that really has yet to be described by science. It could be called a micro-fungus or a self-replicating virus. In other words, it's as small as a virus, but it self-replicates.

But, what's even better is that apparently glyphosate can be incredibly persistent in soils, and many farmed soils have had many years of repeated applications, which spurred the need for GMO crops by the by, but it's not working so well because the glyphosate can re-cycle in the soil and lock up the vital nutrients that allow plants to fight disease, as it is by this mechanism that glyphosate works--it makes vitally important nutrients unavailable. So, the plants are now being hit two ways, via the glyphosate (heavier, clay soils seem to equal more persistence) AND this new organism also seems to affect the plants themselves, and makes them even more susceptible to certain diseases.

In other words, what we have here is an organism previously unknown to science because it's never before been found in sufficient numbers, nor occurred in such numbers as to cause disease or other problems. But wait, it gets better! In the problems it causes in livestock (beef and pork, IIRC) coupled with the problems it causes with crops, it crosses not only species "lines", not only PHYLA, but KINGDOMS. Mammals and plants suffering disease caused by the same organism...?

Now, what if the fungus that they suggest killed these people were actually related, or made worse by these types of farming activities? Or GMOs?

That's what I thought of first.
Then I thought about MMJ patients and how a lot of them have compromised immune systems and thought maybe TH has a point. A couple of ways to look at this. I think we need more research on all the products we use and how they affect humans specifically when ingested, inhaled whatever.
And so what popped into my own head first is actually an awesome example of this.

I'm off to do as much yardwork as I can muster. :harvest:

eyecandi

eyecandi

see, now that is some decent info/feedback that helps. amstercal stated it correctly and it's a very valid point worth looking at. my thoughts last night were that my test batch is almost ready to harvest in a couple weeks and by that time the population and released spores should be at a saturation level to justify a lab test test (I think @ $80 or $120 for the full analysys. can't remember). if there is an issue, I'll be pretty unhappy, but will scrap the entire room if need be.

thanks for keeping this on track folks. any feedback and thoughts are welcome. if you find solid info somewhere, please post it or a link. this is about finding out if a product is safe and works.

K

kuz

We are talking about people really bad off, severe trauma, pneumonia probably all kinds of potentially deadly stuff in a handful of dirt. Fungi can get pretty weird. Hear about the one where the spores find their way into an ants brain and trigger chemical reaction that makes the ant want to climb to the top of a tree, where the fungi fruits and sprouts out of the ants head to release more spores from the top of the tree.

Never seen a RA, but I'd try this stuff, at least to save the mothers and then start fresh.

D

DoobyScoo

What else was under the finger-nails besides the Fungi?
Tornado wind speeds are 110-300 mph.
The Joplin one was in excess of 200 mph.

altimood

altimood

Botaniguard is a fungicide, right? Sold by the 100's of gallons a week. Its sold for RA's but doesn't do much for them. Humdinger. Where's the fuss on that?

Onespark

Onespark

Wow I am glad the calm heads are keeping this thread on track. Seems the arm chair quarterback was trying to turn Thc farmer into Thc whiner. I remember when I read Jorge Cervantes book. Then I remember learning just how much of that book was bad information by... actually growing.

Treehugger - Name calling and then acting like the self appointed king of cannabis related pest knowledge as well as emperor of internet article reading, with nothing to back it up, isn't helping us here. You made a great point but your post's are full of a strange reactive fear and you seem really aggressive towards those of us sharing this information. How can we help you man? Does this help..?

Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[1] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[2] The Oxford English Dictionary says that scientific method is: "a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses :cake

Seamaiden- That is fascinating and I had no idea about glyphosate. I will be reading up and if you can share anything you find with us all it's much appreciated.

Thanks for the good input Amstercal, Altimood, Eyecandi, and everyone else.

altimood

altimood

Today I was looking for ra's and found a flier...
mail-3.jpeg

Found a hellava lot more as I looked around. Anyway I typically just grab them with a piece of tape. 3 hours later I'm chillin with onespark and say, "Check this flier out." Sure enough in that short amount of time this flier pushed out 3 babies. I recorded it with my phone but need bluetooth to get it to where I can post the Vid. But in this pic the little gold guys are two of the three babies.
mail-4.jpeg

For those who don't know, mature Root Aphids are asexual and just duke out clones of themselves pretty regularly. I went back and zoomed on the first pic and could see babies in the mature adults abdomen area.
mail-21.jpeg

This is where the flier was hanging out. So tommorrow its liquid P for the whole lot. These plants are about 5 weeks in with no visible symptoms and have not been treated with met 52. Only pyganic, but going back to excite R. I like to bottom feed the drain saucer first, then come back and soak the top. I'm thinking I should air bomb at lights out. Can't hurt. I'm also burning sulfur and have to think that's helping with mites (because I have none, and that blows me away) and RA's. Maybe the fumes are slowing them down. So, there it is- Surviving without met although it would be in the mix if I had it.

Onespark

Onespark

That gave me the willies. They multiply faster than current data would indicate based on what we saw today. Four babies in three hours (the fourth was on the way out)?????????????????

F -ME

Met for all next week.

altimood

altimood

So next is the coco. I'm coo coo for for coco buds. They're on deck and have been hit with the PyGanic as well. Like I said, haven't run the coco but I'm feeling the ease of operation thus far. If all goes well, I'm transplanting into 3 gallons in a week or less. Met will be in the mix...
mail2.jpeg

I hope all goes well because these are the White Fire OG x Gorrilla Grape, Grape Stomper and Ghost OG X ORE BB. Thanks O for that GG Grape Stomper cut. FIRE SAUCE. And the Kushberry. We'll be seeing about those Fire Grapes...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I honestly think you guys are all misreading each other, and I feel that treehugger is bringing something to the table inasmuch as, at the very least, reminding EVERYONE to read as much as they can and to read in entirety. He shouldn't be required to spoonfeed what's readily available, and that's precisely where things got shitty here. Everyone needs to sit back and consider what others are saying.

So, RAs poppin' out babies in presence of the Pyganic 5%, which, based on other reports I've been given has always done the trick completely. Apparently not so much. Oy.

altimood

altimood

Ya I went back to the Excite R, but its pretty much the same as the Pyganic. Those fliers are the dirty bitches because they can escape when the poison comes. I think the liquid P is doing something on the crawlers and keeping populations down. It was a first seeing babies like that for me. Just a testament to how fast these bugs reproduce. You gotta stay on em' or they'll take over quick, that's for sure. These fungus gnats are a big drag, too. Seems like their larvae could survive anything. Little nasty worms cruising around in the root zone. Big bummer. I'm definitely on point with Eyecandi about trying to get toxicology info on finished product once we get through a run with the Met. Its obviously the responsible thing to do but I want to know the score myself anyway. And let me just say that I have no vested interest in pushing Met 52 to growers. I became interested in it after consulting with a hired professional about solutions to RA's and thought the posting of this trial would interest others who are having the same problems I am having. That's it. I'm not trying to have cyber war games with disgruntled strangers who know nothing about me. That said I respectfully apologize to Treehugger for disrespecting his intellect or questioning his motivation. The guy raised some points that are absolutely valid. I may have deserved the verbal assault I got but Eyecandi and Onespark absolutely didn't deserve that level of disrespect. They are good people with considerable knowledge and I think everyone here is trying to be objective. That's all I have to say about that. Thanks Seamaiden. I appreciate your point of view as always.

D

DoobyScoo

Does anyone know if 'Pasteurization' will kill these fuckers, just thinking in the ways of future preventative measures.
I would think adults for sure, but eggs?

green punk

green punk

altimood

I spoke w someone using panty hose stretched over container to keep fliers in the pot. He said its helping. Thats assuming you have small enough pots.

altimood

altimood

Hey DS- what is pasteurization? I'm pretty sure ra's don't lay eggs. The babies are pushed out like turds.

That pantyhose trick sounds cool. I'd need big mama pantyhose for the big 18 gallons.:

D

DoobyScoo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

Well, if they don't lay eggs, then yeah it would kill the fuckers.
Commonly used in agriculture to kill most nasties. Doesn't sterilize the soil, so there are still some bacteria left. Depending on time applied, too, of course.

An easy way to Pasteurize something is to get a turkey burner/homebrew (40,000 btu propane burner) put a 55 gal steel drum on top and get it to temp with material and liquid inside. (smaller amounts could be done on a stove top)

A pressure cooker at PSI for a certain amount of time will Sterilze the mediums.

altimood

altimood

Ok, ok, I feel you. My friend was telling me to pressure cook my coco. I have also checked out these hot box medium cookers that range in size up to a half yard. I think you need to "bake" your medium for x amount of time and, yes, medium sterilization. I have been using Roots Organic and I swear that shiz comes with fungus gnats and root aphids. Why do I still use it? GOOD QUESTION. I like the mix and don't know any better. Looking into having mixes made locally and sterilized because people are making it happen here. I'm a hydro guy at heart because that's how I started. I love RDWC systems because it's what I've come to know. But folks want the soil buds. Not that RA's aren't in hydro. They are everywhere and up my ass and then some, but I run soil, coco (just starting and love it), rockwool, hydroton, etc. in different applications and they all have their roles. Preventatively, I think its a great idea to cook that medium to erase doubt of infection. I was telling my friend today, YES YOU CAN eradicate phylloxera in a house. NO YOU CAN'T eradicate them in a warehouse. Just my opinion based on experience but I have a long way to go. In a perfect world I'd be outdoors or in a greenhouse harnessing that Colorado sunshine using nature's predators... But that's not my reality, so here we are fighting a microscopic bug. I've heard of people using steam to sterilize soil. Had a good friend tell me about using a concrete mixer from Home Depot while inserting a home made steam gun (not sure how this was made) into the opening and sterilize the medium this way... KILL THAT SHIT BEFORE IT SHOWS UP! I've seen steam sterilization rigs for like $6000.00 online...

altimood

altimood

Daempfen.jpg

How would you like this setup in your backyard?
Nice dreams on that pasteurization tip for sure!
Soil sterilization at its finest bro. Cough up the dough for that setup!:)

Top Bottom